• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Oculus Rift

axlsalinger

Oculus Rift came across my radar this week, anybody heard of this? It appears to be a virtual reality gaming setup that could revolutionize the industry. And perhaps finally bring the promise of virtual reality, to reality. I guess an industry model is coming out in March with a limited # of games, but apparently it is quite impressive stuff.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/eliseac...ever-an-interview-with-creator-palmer-luckey/

The Oculus Rift, a much-hyped virtual reality headset that will be available to game developers in March, inspired yet another round of hyperbolic praise at CES this week.

Geoffrey Morrison, of CNET, compared trying on the Oculus Rift to jacking into the Matrix. “Not only was this the coolest thing I saw at CES, but it’s possibly the coolest thing I’ve ever seen,” he wrote.

Lauren Goode, of All Things D, observed that the device “makes the wearer feel as though he or she is literally living in a video game.”

Dan Nosowitz, of Australian Popular Science, gushed, “it’s impossible to really get across how world shift the Rift is. It’s exactly like we dreamed virtual reality would be.”

"The Oculus Rift changed my life. No, seriously... Virtual reality has long been the ultimate promise of technology... The Oculus Rift actually delivers on the promise, and then some. It’s really, really amazing. Truly and honestly a revelation, a trip, a rabbit hole. And I’m going in. Forever. Goodbye universe. Hello universe." – Joshua Topolsky

"There’s no debate amongst the Verge staffers —the Oculus Rift is the most revolutionary gaming experience we’ve seen in years, despite the fact that we only tested a relatively low-res prototype of the upcoming dev kit. The hardware’s simplicity belies the incredibly visceral, immersive experience that begins as soon as you strap it on. Sure, it might make you feel motion sick at first, but after trying it out, going back to playing games on a flat display seems positively archaic. It’ll be unleashed to the developer community by the end of March — we’re looking forward to seeing what sorts of native games come out of that." - – Nathan Ingraham

VIDEO CLIP:

[video=vimeo;49294325]http://vimeo.com/49294325[/video]

take-my-money.gif

Leaving your house may prove difficult for the first few months.

I remember I got sick using the beta version after about an hour. You have to take breaks because your eyes aren't used to seeing the screen in the way that OR displays images.

Back