• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2013-2014 Capital One (League) Cup Thread

Cali Ed

Now that the third round ties have been determined thought I'd get this going. FWIW, here were the 2nd round results

Tuesday 27th August 2013
Capital One Cup - Second Round
Barnsley 1-5 Southampton
Bristol City 2-1 Crystal Palace
Burnley 2-0 Preston
Burton 2-2 Fulham
Fulham win 5-4 on penalties.
Carlisle 2-5 Leicester
Derby 5-0 Brentford
Doncaster 1-3 Leeds
Huddersfield 3-2 Charlton
Leyton Orient 0-1 Hull
Liverpool 4-2 Notts County (AET)
Norwich 6-3 Bury
Peterborough 6-0 Reading
QPR 0-2 Swindon
Sunderland 4-2 MK Dons
Tranmere 1-1 Bolton
Tranmere win 4-2 on penalties.
West Ham 2-1 Cheltenham
Yeovil 3-3 Birmingham
Birmingham win 3-2 on penalties.
West Brom 3-0 Newport

Wednesday 28th August 2013
Accrington 0-2 Cardiff
Aston Villa 3-0 Rotherham
Everton 2-1 Stevenage
Morecambe 0-2 Newcastle
Nottm Forest 2-1 Millwall
Stoke 3-1 Walsall
Watford 2-0 Bournemouth

Weird game for my Reds. Dominated the first half but from the 60th minute on, they were on their "back foot". No surprise, then, that Notts potted two to level the match.

Fortunately, Daniel Sturridge netted again. I still can't believe how we ripped off Chelsea to get him. :)

Here is the third round draw, highlighted by the Liverpool/ManU tie at Old Trafford

Capital Cup third-round draw
Manchester United v Liverpool
Sunderland v Peterborough
West Ham v Cardiff
Man City v Wigan
Burnley v Nottingham Forest
Newcastle v Leeds
Southampton v Bristol City
West Brom v Arsenal
Swindon v Chelsea
Tranmere v Stoke
Watford v Norwich
Aston Villa v Tottenham
Hull v Huddersfield
Leicester v Derby
Birmingham v Swansea
Fulham v Everton

Ties to be played on 24/25 September.

Dang it. Villa drew Man City for the 3rd round last season and freaking Tottenham this season. Given that the Villa aren't exactly playing for the league title or anything it sure would have been nice to draw somebody like the Posh or Burnley this time around.

Third round complete:

Birmingham City 3-1 Swansea - The holders are out
Man U 1-0 Liverpool
Newcastle 2-0 Leeds United
Tranmere Rovers 0-2 Stoke
West Brom 1-1 Arsenal - Arsenal wins on penalties 4-3
Aston Villa 0-4 Tottenham
Burnley 2-1 Nottingham Forest
Hull City 1-0 Huddersfield Town
Leicester City 2-1 Derby County
Man City 5-0 Wigan
Southampton 2-0 Bristol City
Sunderland 2-0 Peterborough United
Swindon Town 0-2 Celsea
Watford 2-3 Norwich City
West Ham 3-2 Cardiff City
Fulham 2-1 Everton

4th Round draw. Matches to be played the week of 10/28:

Sunderland v. Southampton
Leicester City v. Fulham
Birmingham City v. Stoke
Man U v. Norwich
Burnley v. West Ham
Arsenal v. Chelsea
Tottenham v. Hull City
Newcastle v. Man City

The 3 Championship sides left get home matches.

Quarterfinals complete:

Stoke 0-2 Man U
Tottenham 1-2 West Ham
Leicester City 1-3 Man City
Sunderland 2-1 Chelsea

Semi-finals draw:
Sunderland v. Man U
West Ham v. Man City

Final from today's match
Sunderland 2-1 ManU

That's THREE losses in a row for ManU, first time since 2001. Two of them were at OT. Oh the joy ... :)

And the funniest thing? ManU fans complaining about a "phantom" penalty against Tom Cleverley. Like your team hasn't benefited the MOST from dodgy penalty calls in the last, oh 10-15 years. Karma can be such a dirty little b***h. HA-HA-HA! :D

Final from today's match
Sunderland 2-1 ManU

That's THREE losses in a row for ManU, first time since 2001. Two of them were at OT. Oh the joy ... :)

And the funniest thing? ManU fans complaining about a "phantom" penalty against Tom Cleverley. Like your team hasn't benefited the MOST from dodgy penalty calls in the last, oh 10-15 years. Karma can be such a dirty little b***h. HA-HA-HA! :D

Didn't see it, but one of the reports I read said he was lucky not to be sent off.

Just watched the clip of the Cleverley foul. It's a no question penalty and a stupid one at that as he did it with Johnson just barely entering the box and defensive cover behind him. Not a sending off for sure, but a clear foul.

Btw, not sure how I missed posting this, but as you might suspect, Man City beat West Ham in the first leg yesterday. What may have been a bit of a surprise is the final, as City thrashed the Hammers 6-0. This after West Ham had rested most of their regulars in the week-end's F.A. Cup fixture. That decision led to their getting thumped by Nottingham Forest 5-0.

Eleven goals surrendered in two games, and all pundits agreeing how lifeless and pathetic they looked. How Sam Allardyce is still holding onto a job is beyond me.

West Ham 0-3 Man City

Man city wins aggregate 9-0 and books its ticket to the final. Man U v. Sunderland in the 2nd leg at Old Trafford on Wednesday, with Sunderland up 2-1.

With their Cup exit settled, I wonder how long Big Sam has left at West Ham.

Maybe a couple, until they see if having Carroll healthy changes things? The bottom half of the table is so muddled that a couple of wins pull them clear. Unfortunately, they go to Stamford Bridge next before hosting Swansea and going to Aston Villa.

Yeah, but I'm hearing reports out of West Ham that their transfers guys in the front office can't seem to get anybody interested in a move ... which is pretty telling when players are accepting moves to destinations like freaking Hull. Seems the player market is well convinced that West Ham are a dead duck.

Yeah, but I'm hearing reports out of West Ham that their transfers guys in the front office can't seem to get anybody interested in a move ... which is pretty telling when players are accepting moves to destinations like freaking Hull. Seems the player market is well convinced that West Ham are a dead duck.

You mean like Shane Long, who moved from West Brom to Hull?

Man U 2-1 Sunderland

Aggregate tied 3-3. Away goals tied 1-1. Sunderland wins on penalties 2-1

What a match. Bardsley scored off DeGea's hands in the 119th minute to put Sunderland in front, Chicharito scored at 120+1 to send it to penalties.

Sunderland beat ManU in the penalty shoot out, 2-1 to advance.

ManU's fortunes went up on Evans' goal, remarkably down after a de Gea howler in extra time, sky-high moments later on Javi Hernandez' last-gasp equalizer, then they lose on penos. Make 1 of 5, and some of those misses were themselves absolute howlers.

I'm going to post this, just for the sake of establishing it. The final is in one-and-a-half weeks.

Sunday 2 March 2014
14:00 Man City v Sunderland

Back