• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Olympic Hockey Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Justin Faulk on the US Olympic Team. Just announced

Last edited:
Re: Faulk on Olympic Team!

Great news! I would have been really upset if he didn't make it. He's earned that spot.

Most pundits had him a shoo-in after the summer camp, but I thought he had played his way off it.

Here is the full roster:

Goalies:
Jimmy Howard
Ryan Miller
Jonathan Quick

Defense:
John Carlson
Justin Faulk
Cam Fowler
Paul Martin
Ryan McDonagh
Brooks Orpik
Kevin Shattenkirk
Ryan Suter

Forwards:
David Backes
Dustin Brown
Ryan Callahan
Patrick Kane
Ryan Kesler
Phil Kessel (his sister made the US Women's Hockey team)
TJ Oshie
Max Pacioretty
Zach Parise
Joe Pavelski
Paul Stastny
Derek Stepan
James van Riemsdyk
Blake Wheeler

Looking at the dman list, it's hard to see how much time Faulk gets. However, he, Carlson and Shattenkirk are the only righty shooters on the team, so you never know.

Glad he made it, but would have preferred him getting some rest during that two week period....worried that he is breaking down this year

Ben Bishop got screwed.

He has the best Save % (.935) and 2nd best GAA (1.89) among American goalies. Quick (.905/2.35), Miller (.927/2.69) and Howard (.907/2.72) are well behind. I guess it came down to experience. This is Bishop's first season as a full time starter. He played 5 games in last year's World Championships. Miller has 2 World Championships and the 2010 Olympics. Howard played 7 games in the 2011-12 World Championships and also in the World Juniors and U18s. Quick has never played internationally, but obviously has more NHL experience.

ETA: This is from Scott Burnside's column on ESPN.com

Tampa Bay Lightning goalie Ben Bishop is having a far superior season, but the selection committee (David Poile, Ray Shero, Brian Burke, Stan Bowman, Dean Lombardi, Paul Holmgren, Dale Tallon, Jim Johannson and Don Waddell) believed his lack of NHL playoff experience and poor play at the World Championships were enough of a red flag. Howard also has significantly more playoff experience than New Jersey Devils' netminder Cory Schneider, the other serious candidate to make the team.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/...an-jack-johnson-left-us-olympic-hockey-roster

Last edited:
Last edited:

If we're having to dig past Quick and Miller we've probably got worse issues than our third goalie ;)

That's a pretty solid team right there... And if you really have concerns about goaltending...you can only imagine how Canadians feel... none of the front runners give me anything to feel comfortable about...

:cheers2:

Raymond:smash:

Is semin on the Russian team?

None of the other countries have announced their teams yet. I suspect that Semin will make Russia's team, Sekara will make Slovakia's team and Ruutu may make Finland's team.

Boy, after reading that ESPN article, i suspect a few players will have long memories after some of the comments about particular players. Interesting read.

When does Team Canada announce their roster?

Glad Faulk made it, but stiil curious that Johnson didn't. Those hits he made when CLB played Carolina were hard. I can't imagine Folwer, Carlson or Paul Martin bring that to the table.

When does Team Canada announce their roster?

Glad Faulk made it, but stiil curious that Johnson didn't. Those hits he made when CLB played Carolina were hard. I can't imagine Folwer, Carlson or Paul Martin bring that to the table.

Read the ESPN article that's linked in the article I linked. Johnson essentially played his way off the team. What was surprising was that Faulk was one of the 7 locks right from the start and stayed on the list the entire time.

That's a pretty solid team right there... And if you really have concerns about goaltending...you can only imagine how Canadians feel... none of the front runners give me anything to feel comfortable about...

:cheers2:

Raymond:smash:
I take Price over any of the US goalies. I just hope team Canada is smart enough to make him the starter over Luongo.

I think the US should have taken Schneider, Miller and Bishop.

I take Price over any of the US goalies. I just hope team Canada is smart enough to make him the starter over Luongo.

I think the US should have taken Schneider, Miller and Bishop.

The braintrust didn't like that Bishop has no NHL playoff experience and got yanked in favor of John Gibson in the 2013 World Championships. Schneider didn't have enough experience either and was not even a regular starter on the Devils.

Scott Burnside had access to every meeting the coaches and GM had from August orientation camp on. It's a good read.

http://espn.go.com/olympics/hockey/...us-hockey-team-bound-sochi-olympics-was-named

Back