• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Status of the Canes Hockey Report

Whaler

To all Carolina Hurricane fans:

Sadly, the signs have become definite without doubt. There is no longer any interest in furthering the life of the Hurricanes Report as currently offered.
Visits to the site have come to a complete halt. Not even Search-engine bots are bothering. Continuing beyond this season cannot be justified by any stretch or measure.

Although I've enjoyed my role in the presentation of the stats, the cost of maintaining a dedicated web site for the purpose of making them available makes little sense if nobody uses it.
It is my intention to finish the season no matter what, but given a miraculous increase in interest (visitors) this will just have to be IT. This marks the fifteenth year. There are no ads. There is no income. Just a "labor of like" *smile*

Anyone who feels the need to do some research can always e-mail me to ask me to look something up. Also, the site will remain up until around Nov., when the domain license will need to be renewed.

Been a pleasure and all that....blah blah blah....you know the drill. [grin]

E-mail me anytime at [email protected] with any question, comment, diatribe, "good riddance"...whatever.

Take care,

Tom Mudry (Whaler)

This is sad news, Tom. Thanks for all of the work you've put into this over the years.

If this decision is completely final, I totally get it and can't find fault with it. I wonder, however, if the slowdown in traffic is due to the outdated platform the site is on. An updated platform using the latest in SEO technology (for which there are many free options available) would probably result in many more Canes fans finding their way to your site.

Entirely possible, of course. Still, at 85, I'm getting the feeling that it's simply not worth the effort. I may continue to keep the stats for my own amusement, without putting them online.
Thanks for kind words.

Entirely possible, of course. Still, at 85, I'm getting the feeling that it's simply not worth the effort. I may continue to keep the stats for my own amusement, without putting them online.
Thanks for kind words.

Whoa, I had no idea you were 85! Good for you! Put your feet up and relax!

That sucks and hate to hear it but it is a waste if you have no visitors.

Why not create a dedicated sticky thread on this forum that can only be edited by you and the admins? It wouldn't cost anything and you could still keep up with your hobby. Just a thought.

Is that possible admins?

Why not create a dedicated sticky thread on this forum that can only be edited by you and the admins? It wouldn't cost anything and you could still keep up with your hobby. Just a thought.

Is that possible admins?

I, think that is an excellent idea. Sorry Whaler... but especially now that I know your 85 :) We always appreciate long time fans, I know I do. I remember you in fact from what... 3-4 different hockey forums ago? Ok, that is still in the 2000's, but still, at least 12 years right there. Probably more, because the memory I have now is that I was "away" from another board, can't recall the name... and then found the new one and all of the old members had migrated. Something like that. The details escape me, I must admit.
Just curious were you following the team from the WHA days?

Is that possible admins?

It might be. It was discussed in 2011, when Tom's ISP shut down member sites. Habsy and Habspatrol both offered assistance.

http://www.forumice.com/showthread.php?47545-Another-announcement-I-don-t-like-posting

Yes. My 2 sons got me into going to WHA games & it never stopped. After the Whale joined the NHL, we had season tickets for a few years. The Canes Hockey Report started from Game 1 in Greenboro. The Archives go back all the way.
Re the sticky thread idea, not sure that would work, given the space needed. Probably at least 10 gig. Also, I'm now a caregiver to my wife, and time is not plentiful. The suggestion is appreciated, however.
It's really tough to stop something which has been going on for 15 years, believe me.

Holy crap Whaler I had no idea. Man I hope I too have enough gumption to start something new when I turn 70. Hat's off to you and your wife.

Whaler, you're the man! An attentive husband, a computer saavy sophisticate, stats man, proud dad.
:cheers2:

AMEN to Slapshots post! Tom, your avocation has been appreciated but we all can see it hasn't been enough to keep it up.

But don't you be a stranger, hang around to offer your insights. The most important thing now is Mrs. Whaler, look after her - we'll all hope that her needs aren't too serious and we'll all send strong thoughts to you both through the Universal Power, God if you will.

God Bless...!

"Avocation." Whaler, if nothing else, you got Alan to use "avocation" in a sentence. Stand tall and proud my friend, tall and proud.

Thanks for keeping up those stats, I wish someone else could take the baton from you and avocate with it.

Back