• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes @ Habs 1/28 7:30

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
After a rousing comeback win over the Blue Jackets, the Canes head to La Belle Province to meet Team Turmoil. The Habs are on a 4 game losing streak, getting outscored 19-5 in the process. They're 8-11-2 since December 9 and are barely holding the last wild card slot in the east with 59 points. Their last time out, they lost 5-0 to the Caps with Carey Price getting pulled, for the 2nd time in 3 games, after giving up 4 goals on 26 shots. But, just as the Canes had a score to settle last night, the Habs have one to settle with us, blowing a 3-0 lead and losing in OT 5-4 at the PNC on New Year's Eve. David Desharnais his 4 points in the last 5 games.

Note the 7:30 start time. Fox Sports Carolinas has the call.

Carolina's on a weird sort of upswing (the kind where they win games without playing particularly well) while Montreal is reeling. Given the history of this series, that pretty much means nothing. Bottom line ... Montreal has mostly hurt Carolina on the power play this season. At even strength the Canes have had the upper hand for the most part. So the key tonight is staying out of the box and getting pressure on their points when we are on the kill. Simple right? Not thus far, but that's why they play the games.

Hopefully Price is in net. He is rounding into form nicely for the US Olympic team and giving up about 4-5 goals a game over his last 6 games.

Will the canes ring the belle? Will they be the belle of the ball? Is this a belle weather game?
They can sure make life more miserable for the Habs. It could be an interesting game.

The Canes owe the Habs a back alley beatdown. I'd love to see a stat-padder tonight, hang 6 or 7 goals on the Habs!

It's always fun to watch a passionate fanbase in full meltdown. Beatdowns rank second to end-of-game collapses in that regard, but I'd prefer the lower-stress route.

Who's in goal?

I think this is a tricky one. It's probably the last chance for Peters to give Anton a break before the Olympics. And the team might just rally around him. On the other hand, you don't mess with a streak.

Last night was another confidence builder for the Canes and given what sounds like a sputtering lack of confidence among the Habs, I hope we pounce on the Candiens-- hard and fast. If we get going first and draw first blood, they'll hopefully collapse like a fragile team.

I hope Captain Kirk has the boys fired up and ready to pounce from the get go... read this snipet from this TSN article:

"On Saturday, fans in the upper reaches of Bell Centre began chanting in French "On veut un tir" in the second period, which means "We want a shot." The Capitals were ahead 26-3 in the game and 14-0 in the second period on the shot counter when Daniel Briere took an innocuous shot on goal at 12:44 of the second, triggering cheers from the fans that Capitals goalie Braden Holtby said may have been the biggest he's ever received for making a save."

Just heard a blurb watching the rds broadcast that 'a member of thr avalanche organization is in the stands for tonight's game"...

Faulk guilty of playing good defense...Habs get a PP they don't deserve.....and fortunately don't score.

Faulk guilty of playing good defense...Habs get a PP they don't deserve.....and fortunately don't score.

Down 2-0 after having played last night...odds certainly aren't looking good. Saving grace is that Price and the Habs are super fragile. We have to get the next goal though.

Yeah that was a weak call. I figure it was because he took his hand off his stick and put it one Pacioretty's arm. Even though he didn't hold him I guess it looked like he did to the the ref.

Last edited:
Back