• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT: Canes vs Jets 2/4/14

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Carolina welcomes back an old friend?

Paul Maurice brings the Winnipeg Jets to town for the the first time since taking over that bench, and they've managed to go 7-2-0 under his guidance. Oddly enough their offense sort of woke up with the trap guru in charge, and they've gotten solid enough goaltending from Pavelec to make the results stick ... unlike whatever the heck they were doing before. Which was mostly finding new and interesting ways to lose. Little, Ladd, Wheeler and Byfuglien lead the scoring for the Jets and they get decent support scoring from their second and third units. This s not a particularly big team, nor are they particularly skilled ... but they get by of late on solid team efforts.

Carolina comes into this one riding recently named player or the Month Anton Khudobin and and offense that's mostly been opportunistic of late. Lately they've either been winning or getting shut out ... with a few exceptions ... and the depth lines have been popping in some timely scoring plays. The Jets don't have a big shutdown line per se, so look for Carolina to match lines with an eye towards getting the big boys loose. Both teams have been all over the place with their special teams play, so that could be a big factor tonight. This is probably going to be the kind of game where a couple of power play markers could make a huge difference.

Oddly enough, the Canes roster is mostly vacant of players who played for Maurice. This is one of those games though, that you HATE to lose. They are still the dirty birds! And there are still enough Mo apologists in the Triangle that I dread hearing the "I told you so" comments if the Jets win.

So, don't let them win, beat them silly!

I don't think it's a matter of letting them win, it's a matter of playing better than the jets. Mo has them firing on all cylinders and he'll have a little extra for tonight.
I see the jets 5-3.

Now in a four-way tie for tenth, three points out of 3rd in Metro. Sure, we have games in hand. We have to WIN them. All three this week. There's just no room for letdown.

This team has let us down so many times with sudden disappearing acts that its hard to be confident about ANY game they play.

I mean, we have won 5 out of 6 and are coming off our best January ever with the NHLs#1 star for the month in goal and I still fear this team laying an egg ronight and then losing 3 in a row. Hopefully this team plays with that same effort level we saw last Friday night. It would be nice to see that St. Louis effort every time out. That would result in a whole lot of wins and put my mind at ease.

Come on Canes, ease my mind here and dominate again tonight so I can stop worrying before every game.

Really can't call this one. I suppose I will be happy with a solid effort, win or lose. Preferably the former.
Will be an interesting test, considering how well they've also been playing of late. I think Wheeler always has our number, as with a couple of other Jets. Oli of Panthers past used to have our number, not so sure though on his numbers since he's been a jet. Anyway... no easy test.
May the guys in red prevail!

Carolina NEEDS these points. Don't really care how they get them, but these last games before the Olympic Break simply have to be max effort affairs.

LMAO...Jim Rutherford, Tripp Tracy...who am I forgetting???

There's enough to make me scratch my head in puzzlement. We have one on here.

If the Jets do win, venture over to Facebook, and watch the comments about how Muller sucks and Mo should still be the coach, pop up!

Michael Smith in the Tracking the Storm blog says Khudobin gets the start tonight.

So much like a gum smacker game. Six billion shots and not one in for the home team. Mo karma in the house.

So much like a gum smacker game. Six billion shots and not one in for the home team. Mo karma in the house.

How many missed chances and prime scoring opportunities wasted tonight? Pavelec has not been great, but the Canes have made him look good.

Blowing games in the waning minutes of the 3rd period is never a good thing. A PP goal would have come in handy.

Back