• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Thread

Metalleaf

http://www.canada.com/olympics/sochi-guide/sochi-facilities-still-a-work-in-progress

SOCHI, Russia — As a rule, nobody wants to hear journalists complain about travel, which is fair. Travel, if you are lucky, is a part of the job. It’s like complaining about traffic, but somewhere else.

At the Olympics, though, the standard is different, because the Olympics are a comprehensive test. The venues, security, the athletes, transportation, the media, everything. Not every Games reflects on its nation in the same way — Atlanta, for instance, wasn’t so much a pan-American project in 1996 as it was a local disaster, in so many ways.

But Sochi, like Beijing, is different; it is a hideously complex logistical test of how efficiently a country, directed from on high, can pull the whole thing off with nearly unlimited resources. And by that measure, Sochi, its Olympic facilities built practically from scratch, is having some trouble.

“In general, it is done,” said one media hotel worker who has spent the past two years in Sochi, after coming from Siberia. “But the details are not done. And the details are everything.”

If these Olympics aren't a complete disaster, I'll be impressed.

proxy.jpg

Those sheets must be a 45 thread count... like sleeping on burlap. Oh man is Russia gonna come out looking like more of an ass hat than before.

Ovechkin's toothless grin will be the poster child of this shiite show.

BftUSoVCMAARRWY.pngp

Stacy St. Clair @StacyStClair
My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." #Sochi2014

BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

Water restored, sorta. On the bright side, I now know what very dangerous face water looks like. #Sochi #unfiltered

SeanFitz_Gerald @SeanFitz_Gerald
Fellow journo: Colleague lost hotel room key. Hotel did not have copy. So instead of giving a new key, they removed the whole door.

Shaun Walker @shaunwalker7
Got back to hotel. Lift broken after half day in use. Trekked up stairs. Door to my floor (that'd be the fire door) locked. Utter farce.

BftUSoVCMAARRWY.pngp

Stacy St. Clair @StacyStClair
My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." #Sochi2014

BfmfjoTCMAAMPy0.jpg

Water restored, sorta. On the bright side, I now know what very dangerous face water looks like. #Sochi #unfiltered

tumblr_m5wku4jXpt1qjwp1yo1_400.gif

DownGoesBrown: The tap water in my Sochi hotel room is dark and burns when I get it in my eyes! (My Sochi hotel is my living room.) (This water is scotch.)

Back