• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The Tanking Issue

Re: 2013-2014 Dynasty Hockey Trade Thread

Also noticed soco, not sure when he checked his team last, but he has 0.9 fp/g guys in the minors/on the bench, and .5 fp/g guys in his lineup.

if people aren't going to participate, give your team to someone who will.

We probably need to do something to encourage activity.

Also noticed soco, not sure when he checked his team last, but he has 0.9 fp/g guys in the minors/on the bench, and .5 fp/g guys in his lineup.

That's just good tanking. Shifty, but legal imo.

I'd suggest maybe the standings go by total points as we have them, but draft order seeding should go by reverse order of fantasy points per game. Then inactivity has no bearing on your seeding.

If you guys need a new manager for next year let me know.

That's just good tanking. Shifty, but legal imo.

Legal sure, but 100% against the spirit of what we're doing here. Totally gaming the system, and we've seen what people think about gaming the system when trying to win. Should go for those trying to get top draft picks.

Legal sure, but 100% against the spirit of what we're doing here. Totally gaming the system, and we've seen what people think about gaming the system when trying to win. Should go for those trying to get top draft picks.

We've had similar discussions in the past and the prevailing thought seems to be that it's none of anyone else's business to tell owners how to manage their rosters, as long as they were managed within the rules. In this case, Soco has a bunch of kids, who are still within their first 100 games, on his minor league team. Completely legal. If we were overly concerned about "the spirit" of the league, I'd hold the inaugural title.

Rules, as I was told at the time, are rules.

We've had similar discussions in the past and the prevailing thought seems to be that it's none of anyone else's business to tell owners how to manage their rosters, as long as they were managed within the rules. In this case, Soco has a bunch of kids, who are still within their first 100 games, on his minor league team. Completely legal. If we were overly concerned about "the spirit" of the league, I'd hold the inaugural title.

Rules, as I was told at the time, are rules.

Well that's why I'm talking about putting rules in place that encourage activity. It's one thing to have shitty players and finish last, it's another thing to have good players and bench them in order to finish last.

Any rule we'd put in place wouldn't change anything retroactively... but like the rules that cost you a title... they should be fixed moving forward.

Well that's why I'm talking about putting rules in place that encourage activity. It's one thing to have shitty players and finish last, it's another thing to have good players and bench them in order to finish last.

Any rule we'd put in place wouldn't change anything retroactively... but like the rules that cost you a title... they should be fixed moving forward.

This gets problematic though. So if a guy is playing his kids, and they're below waiver wire trash level of production, we're going to force an owner to play the best players available and take on waiver fodder?

Even talking about using team FPG is problematic, because anyone you don't dress doesn't count towards your team's FPG. You would actually be encouraging the opposite of the intended behaviour. I'm willing to hear proposed rule changes, I just don't like the concept of dictating to owners how to roster their teams. Keeping kids who are within their 100 games player in the minor leagues isn't "unfair". It's the intended purpose of the minor league system.

When do we start punishing owners for not using all of their goalie games? Benching players with 4 games this week in favour of someone with 2? Tankers are gonna tank. As long as they're rostering a legitimate lineup up active NHL bodies, I don't think it's really any of our ****ing business what the composition of it is.

I honestly thought that we needed to ice our best roster, ie if we have a guy thats 1 fp/g we put him in over someone thats riding at 0.6?

I seem to recall the same issue came up with Taylor Hall last season, or the season before, and that was the resolution.

I honestly thought that we needed to ice our best roster, ie if we have a guy thats 1 fp/g we put him in over someone thats riding at 0.6?

I seem to recall the same issue came up with Taylor Hall last season, or the season before, and that was the resolution.

I don't remember there being a resolution to it, and frankly, it's a pretty dodgy argument to make as performance can swing pretty wildly from year to year. We quickly get to the point of not just dictating roster arrangement, but dictating roster moves.

For example: Currently Jonas has Bickell in his lineup. Bickell is a .47fpg. Jonas would be a better team if he replaced Bickell with one of the .6-.65fpg forwards available on the waiver wire. However, Bickell has been a .7+ in the past and one could somewhat reasonable expect him to regain that form at some point in Chicago. So...do we force Jonas to replace Bickell with .61 Brad Winchester? If not, why not?

The risk with tanking, is already sorted imo. We have a lottery.

I'd just like to see a hockeylover or a LeafGM or somebody like that take over a few of these teams.

It's a great league, but it could be even better.

This gets problematic though. So if a guy is playing his kids, and they're below waiver wire trash level of production, we're going to force an owner to play the best players available and take on waiver fodder?
Well no, you can't force someone to make moves. However, I think it's more than a fair expectation to have someone at least attempt to set his best line up each week no?

Even talking about using team FPG is problematic, because anyone you don't dress doesn't count towards your team's FPG. You would actually be encouraging the opposite of the intended behaviour. I'm willing to hear proposed rule changes, I just don't like the concept of dictating to owners how to roster their teams. Keeping kids who are within their 100 games player in the minor leagues isn't "unfair". It's the intended purpose of the minor league system.
I wasn't suggesting I had a foolproof plan... just a suggestion. Maybe something else would work better.

When do we start punishing owners for not using all of their goalie games? Benching players with 4 games this week in favour of someone with 2? Tankers are gonna tank. As long as they're rostering a legitimate lineup up active NHL bodies, I don't think it's really any of our ****ing business what the composition of it is.
Well I'm not saying that a guy has to micro-manage every aspect to make sure he squeezes every drop out of his team... but an honest attempt to roster your best team is a reasonable expectation.

Ultimately I have no skin in the game. My team is at the upper echelon of the league and should be for the foreseeable future. I just don't think it's fair to the managers with legitimately bad teams who are setting their rosters and finishing ahead of teams with a bunch of good players on the bench.

I don't remember there being a resolution to it, and frankly, it's a pretty dodgy argument to make as performance can swing pretty wildly from year to year. We quickly get to the point of not just dictating roster arrangement, but dictating roster moves.

For example: Currently Jonas has Bickell in his lineup. Bickell is a .47fpg. Jonas would be a better team if he replaced Bickell with one of the .6-.65fpg forwards available on the waiver wire. However, Bickell has been a .7+ in the past and one could somewhat reasonable expect him to regain that form at some point in Chicago. So...do we force Jonas to replace Bickell with .61 Brad Winchester? If not, why not?

Nobody has ever suggested forcing teams to add and drop players. Why not? I don't really think you need an answer to that. The difference is pretty obvious.

The risk with tanking, is already sorted imo. We have a lottery.

But our lottery mirrors the NHL lottery so even if a tanker "loses" the lottery he only drops one spot in the draft.

Back