• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Excessive Violence In Hockey

corksens

Legend
Not NHL, but pick up/mens league/rec hockey. We've all been there...a game is heated and things get alittle nuts. Well, this story is on CBC news today about a conviction stemming from an on-ice incident.

An Ottawa judge has set a dangerous precedent by convicting a recreational hockey player of assault for an incidental hit, according to the defendant’s lawyer.

Gordon MacIsaac, 31, was sentenced to 18 months’ probation on Wednesday after a rare criminal conviction for an on-ice collision in March 2012 with Drew Casterton, who is also now 31.​

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...hilling-effect-on-sport-lawyer-says-1.2736176

Full disclosure - I actually know and grew up with the victim in this incident. He's a nice guy - very athletic, but not a hot head. Must have played hockey with him 50 times in my life. Apparently it was a mens league game and the now convicted played was upset about a missed tripping call. As a result he threw a flying elbow into the face of the victim. Casteron lost teeth, was fully concussed (dark room for 4 weeks) and lost his ability to work for months.

This lawyer might be right, in that it results in an chill, but I welcome that. You can't be lashing out in mens league games.

We had a guy attack a ref last year because he thought he was out to get him.

Every now and then you have to remind an idiot its just beer league and we all have to work in the morning so relax.

Specifically, I support this charge.

I can't see this being the case in professional or minor contact hockey. But in rec league hockey you can't be leaving your feet with elbows to the head.

I can't see this being the case in professional or minor contact hockey. But in rec league hockey you can't be leaving your feet with elbows to the head.

I think there's also a difference between malicious acts, and malicious acts with intent to do harm.

So for a case like Bertuzzi, which was an obviously malicious retaliation attempt, I don't mind seeing potential prosecution for that. For the cases where it's a "hockey play gone wrong" (like the Chara/Pacioretty incident, for instance), let the league handle the punishment.

Agreed. The speed of the NHL game will always allow for defense of idiot hits.

I am sure one of the officals (typically two on the ice at all times now) saw the incident and filled out a report.

Don't count on the players to provide an unbiased opinion

**** that guy. Contact sports are different, especially at the pro level. Those guys know the risks.

This is beer league, not the NHL. Everyone has to go to work the next day. There isn't room for *******s trying to hurt guys.

It says non contact. Like most leagues the refs likely tend to let the corner battles go and maybe rubbing out on the boards but beyond that you're typically in the box

Yeah, 100% support that charge and conviction. An "on-ice collision" is a bodycheck or two people running into each other by accident. Throwing a flying elbow into someone's face is a completely different animal. Especially in ****ing recreational hockey, where nobody's a wealthy professional hockey player with complete medical coverage and unlimited time away from their job with full pay.

People cannot afford to be out of work for an extended time. these days a few months could be all it takes to screw your life up completely.
On that alone the guy has to be made to pay. I would assume charging him helps that situation out?
I would hope so.

People cannot afford to be out of work for an extended time. these days a few months could be all it takes to screw your life up completely.
On that alone the guy has to be made to pay. I would assume charging him helps that situation out?
I would hope so.

It pretty well guarantees he wins a civil claim.

Back