• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #1: Home Opener- Islanders versus Hurricanes

SlapShots

If there was ever a tropical sounding sporting event, this is it. Islanders against Hurricanes. Can't you just hear the steel drums, feel the sand between your toes? No? There's always the tailgating- 82 degrees on a Friday afternoon, partly cloudy and only a small chance of rain. Of note, this is the ONLY game tonight...

After a long off season, the Hurricanes' have their home opener, hosting the NY Islanders, their Metropolitan division rivals and fellow cellar dwellers. This is the first of a back-to-back. The Hurricanes are without Jeff SKinner (concussion) and Jordan Staal (broken leg), two very significant players in the Hurricanes desire to get back into playoff contention. We've been told that this will be offence by committee, players stepping up and younger players like Victor Rask and Chris Terry being given ample opportunity to earn their NHL creds. New faces also include Brad Malone and Jay McClement. And from the what's old is new department, Tim Gleason is back.

When other teams re-tooled this summer, they did it with their on ice product. The Hurricanes' re-tooling took place anywhere but the ice. Ron Francis took the GM's chair as expected as Jim Rutherford was nudged out and other front office re-shuffling on Edwards Mill was done to give the new GM his own support staff and corporate types. The Canes also hired a new coach, Bill Peters, a Mike Babcock disciple and a guy who has earned this chance. We now have a coach who pursued coaching as a profession.

In the Islanders case, they hit the re-set button button with multiple player moves and signings. They committed to Jaro Halak in goal, added Mikhail Grabovski and Nikolai Kulemin to their forward ranks and in the past two weeks shored up their defense obtaining Nick Leddy and Johnny Boychuk from cap strained teams. This is not last year's Islanders. Also expect to see recent draft picks getting their chance, too-- Griffin Reinhart and Ryan Strome.

Look for Cam Ward to be in goal for the Hurricanes.

Let's get it started! Here's hoping to good games, highlight reel worthy goals (for) and a solid game tonight and on hell of a surprising season.

Last edited:
Good intro, Slap!

My prediction..... PAIN!

I'll be joining a tailgate in West Premier somewhere around 4:45, so I'll just go with the fun/night out aspect and not sweat the game itself. Opening nights are fun!

6-3 Canes...big game to open for our Swedes tonight.

I am enjoying your lone positivity on these boards. Recently every time I have read your posts I hear this in the background as you aren't all doom and gloom.

[video]www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM[/video]

For the first time in the Raleigh era, I will miss the home opener. My flight home from Toronto doesn't land until after 9.

Two words, "work ethic".
Gotta see it, and it's gotta play into the results.
No lapse in focus late in the third, no mental breakdowns.
Work Ethic is what this new coach is preaching, so lets see it. Go Canes.

Hope springs eternal……… Go Canes!

Has there ever been less hope and increased doom and gloom surrounding a season opener as there seems to be this year?

The major injuries, the lack of depth, the pending sale of the franchise, the five seasons out of the playoffs, the piss poor ticket sales...it all adds up to a shit storm for the organization overall. I hate to see things as bad as they have become in Canesland, is there light at the end of tunnel or is this the beginning of the end?

Honestly, the result doesn't matter. What does matter is an expression of accountability when things don't go well. If I hear one more player say "for whatever reason..." I'm gonna puke. Identify the reason, and propose an actionable remedy.

2 Keys for the Game/Season:

1. Eric Staal and Alex Semin actually backcheck and play defense showing leadership.
2. The Canes play physical and finish their checks making it tough for the Isles to get any mojo going.

Then there's a chance.

Sorry guys. We are gonna drop this game and it's MY fault.

I have always worn my jersey to work for the first game of the season since forever. Today, I had a number of early things I needed to get done before work and was scrambling to finding 1 of my 4 jerseys in my closets in my home before I had to leave. I tore my place apart (and ended up getting into a scrap with my wife in the process). Sadly, I left without my jersey... dooming our boys to what will most certainly be a loss tonight... and most probably a very difficult season filled with unfortunate results.

I believe that things would be better for us... but this one is my fault guys. I hope you all can forgive me.

:cheers2:
Raymond :smash:

Back