• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

KHL Headed for Collapse?

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The collapsing Russian economy could be taking the KHL with it. League officials were to meet today to discuss implementing an across the boards salary cut and other items. James Mirtle tweeted that 3 teams may fold and that some coaches haven't been paid. He didn't name the team. The linked article says that Gazprom paid 2 billion rubles into SKA St. Petersburg and Avangard over the summer but the plummeting value of the ruble has reduced the dollar value to about half.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/12/17/kh...e-last-gasp-for-boston-bruins-more-highlights

Slippery slope. He retired from the NHL and effectively made his contract disappear. If you let him back what keeps players and teams from doing this to get out of contracts?

Last edited:
The Russian economy is a complete house of cards at best. They've collectively tried to bully the rest of the world for the decade when their revenues were soaring, so there is exactly no one who will shed any tears if and when it all collapses around their rotten necks.

Was that blunt enough?

Slippery slope. He retired from the NHL and effectively made his contract disappear. If you let him back what keeps players and teams from doing this to get out of contracts?

Oh I don't know... perhaps NOT wanting to leave the NHL to play in the KHL.

I supposed the guarenteed NHL money would prevent almost every player from ever wanting to do this intentionally to get out of an NHL contract. But it still sits wrong with me that there is a possibility if the KHL completely collapses that Kovalchuk could come crawling back to the NHL as a UFA. That might not be what ends up happening, but the Devils got out of that contract because Kovalchuk retired and left, but now there might be a chance that he comes back as if his last contract didn't exist? He wasn't a defected player forced to come back to his contract if he returned. He retired and they tore up his contract. No cap implications for the Devils if he returns to the NHL?

I don't like the idea that any player could potentially be able to mutually agree with a team void his contact, have him lie low somewhere, and then have him reappear in the NHL as a UFA with the team and player completely free from the original contract. Maybe there is something in the CBA that I haven't caught yet that covers this, but my understanding was the Devils agreed to completely release him from his contract as part of this 'retirement'.

This is likely a very rare 'one off' situation since Kovalchuk had KHL fortunes (so he thought at the time) waiting for him and the Devils certainly were relieved to see that contract go away. But I still don't like the precedent. There must be something I'm missing here, otherwise Kovalchuk (and really any other player) can walk away from a contract, have the team void it, and then the player can negotiate another contract with another NHL team. I assume the commissioner would have to allow the player to be reinstated?

---------EDIT I DID FIND THE ANSWERS TO MY CONCERN HERE --------

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/...ed_next_season_rumors_dispute_nhl_policy.html
1. Unless Kovalchuk sits out a full season of professional hockey anywhere in the world, he cannot return to the NHL without consent from all 30 franchises until 2018-19.

2. If Kovalchuk sits out a full season of pro hockey, he can only return with the Devils’ consent until 2018-19.

3. Beginning in 2018-19, Kovalchuk will be 35, removed from the league’s voluntary retirement list and free to sign with any NHL team as a free agent.

That does make me feel better. There is no way #1 above will happen. #2 might happen, but Kovalchuk would have to sit out a full season of pro hockey and then only with the Devils approval could he come back to the NHL (which the Devils would probably only approve if he signs with them). #3 is possible, but that is 4 seasons after this season is over. Given that, I wouldn't care that he was able to walk out on his contract and have it voided.

I'm good now, carry on :thumbup:

Last edited:
Back