• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT Canes @ Preds 8:00 1/6/15

brassbonanza

Canes Moderator
Carolina brings their modest 2 game winning streak to Music City, with the Predators waiting to avenge an earlier season loss. Although the Canes are well entrenched as an Eastern Conference bottom feeder, they continue to display a disciplined game, making them a tough out for any team most nights. Carolina is also boasting a formidable streak of successful penalty kills. Note the 8:00 start out in Nashville. Both James Neal and Matt Cullen are on the shelf for Nashville, while Carolina has no personnel changes from sunday's game as of right now. No word yet on the goalie.

Last edited:
GDT: Canes @ Preds 1/6 8:00

The Canes close out the season series in Music City. The Canes won the first game, 2-1 on December 2.

The Canes have an honest to God winning streak, now at 2 games, after the shootout win over the Bruins on Sunday. Barring a freak injury or illness, the same lineup as Sunday will play tonight. No word on goalie. There is a morning skate at 12:30 eastern so we'll find out then. Ward had started the last 4 in a row before Dobby went on Sunday and I don't think Dobby has played consecutive games all year.

The Preds lead the Central Division and have the 2nd best record in the Western Conference. Pekka Rinne sits in the top 10 in both GAA and Save %, but among starting goalies is 2nd or 3rd at 2.00 and .929. The Preds have the fewest home losses in the league at 14-2-1, with both losses coming to Metropolitan Division teams. They're 8th in goals per game at 2.95 and 2nd in goals against per game at 2.24. Special teams are ordinary at best, 24th on the PP (30th at home at 8.8% and 13th on the kill (8th at home). Filip Forsberg leads with 14 goals and 37 points, Mike Ribeiro has 26 assists and has 5 assists in his last 2 games. James Neal, Taylor Beck and Matt Cullen have missed the last 2 games.

SportSouth for TV tonight.

And make no mistakes here folks, the Preds have twice as many wins as the Canes and almost 30 more points. They WILL want to avenge what they probably feel was one of their worst losses of the season. Note that they are in full buy-in mode under Laviolette, which means real trouble for undisciplined teams like the Canes. Sure, Lavi will lose them eventually but his teams tend to upswing HARD when they are in the early phases. The Preds are in the top 10 in the league in scoring, as well as being the second stingiest in goals allowed. This team is more than formidable.

So ... for the Canes the goal is to keep the game simple. Positioning will be key, possession cannot be wasted and the D has to be a 5-man effort on every shift. Get sloppy in this one and you'll get run out of the barn.

Oh ... and all three threads are merged. Looks like we all started this within 10 minutes or so's time

Alex Semin still working on getting up to game speed? It would be interesting to see what this team actually looks like with their $7 million sniper winger actually in the lineup and playing like a $7 million sniper. 1 or 2 goals is not going to be enough tonight.

Imagine the Canes record if:

All 30 goal scorers were on pace for 30+ goals, Staal, Semin, Skinner and the 20+ crowd were all on pace, Jordan, Tlusty, and 15+ Gerbe, Lindholm, etc. Sadly none of those guys is likely to reach their potential this year. Goal scoring should NOT be a problem with this roster, but it is.

Ward in net tonight.

This is also the Fathers' trip, so expect lots of shots of them in the stands and interviews during play.

Alex Semin still working on getting up to game speed? It would be interesting to see what this team actually looks like with their $7 million sniper winger actually in the lineup and playing like a $7 million sniper. 1 or 2 goals is not going to be enough tonight.

Good lord. Give the guy a pack of Camels and tell him to man up.

All 30 goal scorers were on pace for 30+ goals, Staal, Semin, Skinner and the 20+ crowd were all on pace, Jordan, Tlusty, and 15+ Gerbe, Lindholm, etc. Sadly none of those guys is likely to reach their potential this year. Goal scoring should NOT be a problem with this roster, but it is.

You can do it, if you try.

Does anyone with Time Warner Cable in Raleigh know which channel number this will be on? 324? 325? 326? As often is the case with SportSouth games, it's nowhere to be found in the guide and I want to set up my DVR to record the game.

Thanks in advance for your help!

I hope the preds don't think they can stand in the way of the canes March to ninth.

Does anyone with Time Warner Cable in Raleigh know which channel number this will be on? 324? 325? 326? As often is the case with SportSouth games, it's nowhere to be found in the guide and I want to set up my DVR to record the game.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Found the answer...it will be on 325 if anyone else is wondering!

This is exactly what concerns me some with Peters. When your top 7 offensive players are ALL under performing it makes me wonder if there is an issue with the system or personality. At first I thought it was just a natural adjustment to a new coach/system but we are near halfway point and things are not trending up offensively.

I wonder if Ronnie had the trade talk with Eric Staal about a week ago? His game has really picked up lately but it also corresponds with Jordan's return. If history proves the effort level won't last more than a few weeks so it really would be a good time to trade him. My worst fear is Ronnie is watching his current performance and thinks he is finally healthy, happy playing with his brother and is picking up Peters system. Don't get sucked into the wormhole of the last 7-8 years Ronnie!!

From Chantal's riveting conversation piece with Jordan; guess I had forgotten that Ranger-Staal is a free agent after the year. Might as well go ahead and size him up for a canes sweater

From Chantal's riveting conversation piece with Jordan; guess I had forgotten that Ranger-Staal is a free agent after the year. Might as well go ahead and size him up for a canes sweater

That ask the Canes segment - simply sucked. Jordan didn't 'shine' in that one!

Forwards don't get the puck deep, odd man rush as the d is changing, Nashville takes the lead.

Back