• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Montreal

Blueman

Hey guys, wondering if any of you have any advice on Montreal.

I'm moving there next month and looking for a condo to rent. Thinking about Old town or Nuns island. Would really appreciate any advice/recommendations for what to be aware of.

Cheers,

Blueman

Old port is pricy...it's really turned into the trendy place to live.

But it is really beautiful and in the summer it's a lot of fun.

Nun's Island can be pretty pricey too. Koivu and Theodore used to live there back when they played for the Habs. It all depends on how much you have to spend and what sort of lifestyle you want. If you're concerned about an inability to function in French your best bet is to stay west of St. Laurent Boulevard.

Old port is pricy...it's really turned into the trendy place to live.

But it is really beautiful and in the summer it's a lot of fun.

Any specific condo's you would recommend in old port? I'm not too price sensitive.

Nun's Island can be pretty pricey too. Koivu and Theodore used to live there back when they played for the Habs. It all depends on how much you have to spend and what sort of lifestyle you want. If you're concerned about an inability to function in French your best bet is to stay west of St. Laurent Boulevard.

Is Nun's island that far from downtown? Could I walk it? A lot of the nicer condos seem to be on Nun's island.

Is Nun's island that far from downtown? Could I walk it? A lot of the nicer condos seem to be on Nun's island.

It is not far from downtown but no you cannot walk from there. There are buses I believe but there are no metro stations on the Island, the closest is probably Lasalle on the Green Line. The city of Verdun itself, where I lived, and Nun's Island is technically Verdun, allegedly is going through a revival and is cheap.

As for Haig, I was being silly, it is deep in the heart of the East End, you will be the only Anglo within 15 miles ;)

My recommendation is for sure no to nuns island, good luck with the roundabouts and the bridge. Old Port is horrible if you have a car and think you are going to find parking. The traffic is crazy at nights in the summer, ie. can take you 45 mins or so to get out if you are stuck on a fireworks night or something.

Give me some info on your age, work, what you like to do for fun etc..Just off my head, I'd recommend more renting in the DT area like on de maissoneuve there are some nice buildings and off there as well. If I was young and single, I'd be in that area.

Mile End if you like food and a more hip, laid back vibe. Like Brad said, hard to recommend blankly. Easier if you describe hoods in other cities that you enjoyed living in.

I always thought Little Burgundy was basically St Henri?

Of course, now it is a nice little shoe store.

Little Burgundy is now super-trendy with lots of nice restaurants and some bars there (and Griffintown right next to it). It's actually a great suggestion with tons of condos popping up all over the place...

Late 30's, no dependents and work in high tech. I have a car, but plan to park it while in the city and only use to go somewhere outside. Looking to explore the city on foot, one patio/cafe/pub at a time.

I make decent money so not too price sensitive (up to 2500/month), so looking for trendy cool, but with some amenities like a decent gym. I'm probably going to get a 2 Bedroom place just for the extra space, and want something good for entertaining.

Must haves for the condo are a nice kitchen, open floorplan, balcony and second washroom.

Hope that helps and thanks again for your responses.

Mile End if you like food and a more hip, laid back vibe. Like Brad said, hard to recommend blankly. Easier if you describe hoods in other cities that you enjoyed living in.

This sounds like me. Will look up Mile End thanks

Yeah, Griffintown is on the comeup. It's getting nicer & nicer. Plus you're right next to downtown, close to the highway, close to a subway, close to Atwater market, not too far from a Costco. It's a pretty nice place to live.

I've lived here my whole life, but Notre-Dame de Grace has a lot of nice places to rent and it's a pretty calm, residential neighborhood (as long as you stay north of Sherbrooke). The only downside (and I guess it's a big one if you go out a lot) is that there's not much in terms of night life. You have the Monkland village (and even then, you're pretty limited), but really outside of that it's not a very lively part of town like Mile End.

West Island is much more anglophone if you prefer that, although I don't know the area all that much.

Blueman, do you know what area of town you will be working? Depending on what kind of commute you want, this could influence where you choose to live.

Blueman, do you know what area of town you will be working? Depending on what kind of commute you want, this could influence where you choose to live.

I work from home. Moving to Montreal because I want to explore the city. So ideally a place with a nice view to park my desk in front of. That was one of the reasons I liked Nun Island - some upscale pads with killer views with floor to ceiling windows.

Where would be the most fun to live?

Lots of condo buildings going up in area around Bell Centre, but unfortunately, none will be ready this year. There are other completed condos in downtown area you may want to look into also. Or the suggestions already made are good. Not to get too personal, but if you are gay, you may want to look into the Gay village.

If all else fails, I can rent you my basement for $2500. :smilewinkgrin:

Back