• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2017-18 FA Cup Thread

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
The 3rd round proper sees the teams from the Premier League and Championship enter. For the first time in 67 years, there are no non-league teams playing in the 3rd round. FA Cup, meet the EFL Cup.

Friday:
Liverpool v. Everton
Man U v. Derby County

Saturday:
Fleetwood Town v. Leicester
Middlesbrough v. Sunderland
Ipswich Town v. Sheffield United
Watford v. Bristol City
Birmingham City v. Burton Albion
Aston Villa v. Peterborough United
Bournemouth v. Wigan
Coventry City v. Stoke
Bolton v. Huddersfield
Yeovil Town v. Bradford City
Brentford v. Notts County
QPR v. MK Dons
Exeter City v. West Brom
Doncaster v. Rochdale
Blackburn v. Hull
Cardiff v. Mnasfield Town
Man City v. Burnley
Wolves v. Swansea
Stevanage v. Reading
Newcastle v. Luton Town
Millwall v. Barnsley
Fullham v. Southampton
Wycombe Wanderers v. Preston North End
Carlisle United v. Sheffield Wednesday
Norwich v. Chelsea

Sunday:
Newport County v. Leeds
Shrewsbury Town v. West Ham
Spurs v. Wimbledon
Nottingham Forest v. Arsenal
Brighton v. Crystal Palace

Shoot. I'm so used to Villa barfing out of competitions early that I forgot about the FA Cup. They drew the Posh ... not a bad draw. We'll probably find a way to screw it up.

Shoot. I'm so used to Villa barfing out of competitions early that I forgot about the FA Cup. They drew the Posh ... not a bad draw. We'll probably find a way to screw it up.

And ... nailed it. 3-1 Peterborough over Villa. They scored early and settled in to defend ... not their strength at all. 3 late ones later I can go back to forgetting about Villa's Cup "runs" this season.

There are 8 replays after the weekend's action. The holders are out; for the first time under Wenger, Arsenal failed to advance out of the 3rd round, going down in flames to Nottingham Forest, behind 2 goals from American Eric Lichaj. The biggest upset so far though is League 2 Coventry City beating Stoke 2-1, after which Mark Hughes was sacked. Coventry are 3rd in League 2. Newport County, 11th in League 2 beat Championship side Leeds.

Yeovil Town sit 21st in League 2, 6 points from safety, and they've made the round of 32. That's pretty good, too. No National League sides this year made it to the round of 64.

No league matches this weekend, it's the 4th Round Proper of the FA Cup.

Friday:
Sheffield Wednesday v. Reading 2:45
Yeovil v. Man U 2:55

Saturday:
Peterborough v. Leicester 7:30
Huddersfield v. Birmingham City 10:00
Hull v. Nottingham Forest
Middlesbrough v. Brighton
Millwall v. Rochdale
MK Dons v. Coventry City
Notts County v. Swansea
Sheffield United v. Preston North End
Southampton v. Watford
Wigan v. West Ham
Newport County v. Spurs 12:30
Liverpool v. West Brom 2:45

Sunday:
Chelsea v. Newcastle 8:30
Cardiff v. Man City 11:00

No league matches this weekend, it's the Fifth Round Proper of the FA Cup. Of the 16 clubs left, 10 are from the Premier League, 3 from the Championship, 2 from League 1 and 1 from League 2

Tday:
Leicester v. Sheffield United
Chelsea v. Hull

Tomorrow:
Sheffield Wednesday v. Swansea
West Brom v. Southampton
Brighton v. Coventry City
Huddersfield v. Man U

Sunday:
Rochdale v. Spurs
Wigan v.Man City

The quad is dead.

Leicester 1-0 Sheffield United
Chelsea 4-0 Hull
Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Swansea - Replay 2/27
West Brom 1-2 Southampton
Brighton 3-1 Coventry City
Huddersfield 0-2 Man U
Rochdale 2-2 Spurs - Rochdale took the lead at the half, Moura equalized early, Kane put Spurs ahead with an 83rd minute penalty. But Rochdale got the equalizer at 90+3 to force the replay at Wembley on 2/28
Wigan 1-0 Man City

The quarterfinal draw, matches to be played on 3/17:
Sheffield Wednesday/Swansea v. Rochdale/Spurs
Man U v. Brighton
Leicester v. Chelsea
Wigan v. Southampton

Yep. The played the 2nd half with 10 men, Delph was sent off just before halftime. Wigan has won the last 3 FA Cup matches with City.

And ... to my delight ... they blasted Oasis' Wonderwall on the PA after the game.

Perfection.

After yesterday's first half fiasco, let's hope the FA limits use of VAR to League 1 and below until they get it sorted out. Ugh.

After yesterday's first half fiasco, let's hope the FA limits use of VAR to League 1 and below until they get it sorted out. Ugh.

Yeah. Who would have predicted it would be such a train wreck. Wait. Pretty much everybody predicted that.

the Quarterfinals were played over the weekend:

Swansea 0-3 Spurs
Man U 2-0 Brighton
Wigan 0-2 Southampton
Leicester 1-2 Chelsea

Semifinal draw:

Spurs v. Man U
Chelsea v. Southampton

The final is set, it will be Man U v. Chelsea

Man U 2-1 Spurs
Chelsea 2-0 Southampton

This is Man U's record tying 20th finals appearance. If they win, they tie Arsenal for most wins with 13. This is Chelsea's 13th finals appearance, tying Everton and Newcastle for 4th most, and 2nd in a row. They lost to Arsenal last year. If Chelsea win, they'll tie Spurs for 3rd most overall, they're tied with Liverpool and Aston Villa for 4th now.

Kind of an interesting Cup Final ... given that it's still two name brand, same old same old clubs. Both managers could really use the hardware after less than spectacular seasons ... United's distant 2nd not really doing the job for me.

Kind of an interesting Cup Final ... given that it's still two name brand, same old same old clubs. Both managers could really use the hardware after less than spectacular seasons ... United's distant 2nd not really doing the job for me.

If Man U wins, that will be Mourinho's 4th trophy in 2 years. Under normal circumstances, that's a pretty good haul and matches the number he won at Real Madrid. And while Chelsea is a brand name club, their success in the FA Cup is relatively recent. They made their first final in 1915 and then didn't appear in a final again until 1967. They didn't win their first until 1970, then not again until 1997.

If Man U wins, that will be Mourinho's 4th trophy in 2 years. Under normal circumstances, that's a pretty good haul and matches the number he won at Real Madrid.

Right ... but the pesky fact that one of them is the Europa League and nobody in England who roots for a big boy club really gives a crap about the FA Cup anymore would tarnish it a bit. Given both of our current hockey situations, that's ... ummm ... difficult to fathom.

Right ... but the pesky fact that one of them is the Europa League and nobody in England who roots for a big boy club really gives a crap about the FA Cup anymore would tarnish it a bit. Given both of our current hockey situations, that's ... ummm ... difficult to fathom.

And another is the League Cup, which the big teams care less about than the FA Cup. And the other is the Community Shield which is a (glorified) exhibition.

Chelsea 1–0 Man U

A first half penalty for Hazard stands up. Conte wins a trophy on his way out the door.

Back