• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Hamilton Bulldogs 2007-08 season preview

Written by: Jason Menard on 10/04/2007

With very few players graduating to an established Montreal Canadiens franchise, the Bulldogs should be primed and prepared for a solid defense of their AHL crown.

Carle may be the most exciting to watch in the bunch. Drafted for his offensive abilities, the rookie blueliner should play a prominent role on the power play and could bring some offensive punch to a defensive corps that is lacking in point potential.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/9932/hamilton_bulldogs200708_season_preview/

I don't know how he can place McDonagh and Pacioretty at 2 and 5. It is nice that someone thinks highly of them but ahead of the likes of the Kostitsyn's, Halak, Emelin and more. They seem to be the flavour of the month.

I am not sure about Pacioretty, but I have read nothing but great stuff about McDonaugh. They say he will without question be the best all around Dman we'll have within a few years.

As well as talent and drafting order, I think freshness counts for something in the world of prospect ranking. McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban are newbies....

As well as talent and drafting order, I think freshness counts for something in the world of prospect ranking. McDonagh, Pacioretty and Subban are newbies....

Only stands to reason. Halak likely won't be much better than what he is now. Emelin may never play for us.

Loic Lacasse was assigned to Bloomington of the IHL yesterday. Something tells me he may not be our goalie of the future.

I like Halak but what you see is what you get. He will be another Archie Irbe: a journeyman goaltender who had brilliant stretches followed by times when he couldn't hold down a roster spot.

09/10 Habs D:
Komi Markov
McDonagh Streit
Emelin Hammer
Fischer Obryne
:cheers2:

Either Streit or Hammer might not be habs by then. Streit could leave as UFA this season. Hammer may be moved as salary dump if his play drops at the 09/10 training camp or bought out.

Last edited:
Cable 14 To Broadcast 10 Bulldogs Games Live

10/04/07 - American Hockey League (AHL) Hamilton Bulldogs

HAMILTON, ON - The Hamilton Bulldogs are excited to announce that 10 of their Friday night 2007-2008 regular season home games will be televised LIVE on Cable 14. TVCogeco in Burlington and Oakville will also pick up six of the 10 games and broadcast them on a tape delay.

"We are again very proud to continue our relationship with Cable 14 and provide our fans across the Greater Hamilton Area with another option to catch Bulldogs action and follow the future stars of the Montreal Canadiens and the National Hockey League," said Hamilton Bulldogs President and Governor Glenn Stanford.

"Last year, Hamilton Bulldogs fans were treated to live coverage of most home and away games on Cable 14 during their play-off run, including a memorable Game 5 when they won the Calder Cup on home ice," said Brent Rickert, General Manager of Cable 14. "We are extremely pleased to once again partner with the team to provide fans with an opportunity to see the NHL players of the future as they look to repeat on last season's success," added Rickert.

Cable 14's announce team of Todd Crocker (Play-By-Play), Norm Miller (Colour Commentary) and Laura Leigh (Ice-Level Host) will all be returning this year in the same capacity as last season.

"Calling a championship is like no other experience in our collective broadcast careers," said Play-By-Play Announcer Todd Crocker on behalf of Cable 14's broadcast team. Crocker also stated, "It has added to the heightened anticipation we all feel about the upcoming season of Bulldogs Hockey on Cable 14."

The full Cable 14 broadcast schedule is as follows (All times Eastern):

- Fri., Oct. 12th, 2007 - Rochester Americans at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14, Tape Delay: TVCogeco

- Fri., Nov. 23rd, 2007 - Toronto Marlies at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14, Tape Delay: TVCogeco

- Fri., Dec. 7th, 2007 - Binghamton Senators at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14, Tape Delay: TVCogeco

- Fri., Jan. 4th, 2008 - Grand Rapids Griffins at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14, Tape Delay: TVCogeco

- Fri., Jan. 25th, 2008 - Quad City Flames at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14

- Fri., Feb. 15th, 2008 - Toronto Marlies at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14, Tape Delay: TVCogeco

- Fri., Feb. 29th, 2008 - Iowa Stars at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14

- Fri., Mar. 7th, 2008 - Manitoba Moose at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14, Tape Delay: TVCogeco

- Fri., Mar. 21st, 2008 - Toronto Marlies at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14

- Fri., April 11th, 2008 - Toronto Marlies at Hamilton Bulldogs - 7:30 p.m. - LIVE: Cable 14

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3546027

09/10 Habs D:
Komi Markov
McDonagh Streit
Emelin Hammer
Fischer Obryne

Either Streit or Hammer might not be habs by then. Streit could leave as UFA this season. Hammer may be moved as salary dump if his play drops at the 09/10 training camp or bought out.

You left out the B & B boys Bou and Breezer:rolleyes(2)::shrug:nono:

09/10 Habs D:
Komi Markov
McDonagh Streit
Emelin Hammer
Fischer Obryne

Valentenko is way ahead of McDonagh and Fischer. . .
Emelin will be about 30 by then. I'm not sure why anyone holds onto the dream of him coming over. He's an AHL quality Dman who wants NHL money and prefers to stay home. Cross him off your list

Emelin will be about 30 by then. I'm not sure why anyone holds onto the dream of him coming over. He's an AHL quality Dman who wants NHL money and prefers to stay home. Cross him off your list

Damn, i forgot Valentenko. As for Emelin, he is supposed to be a Kaspiritis type player. I think we could use a player with an edge. That was my roster i'd hope for, for that year(09/10). Emelin may be on the team by 08/09.

Actually Emelin, actually it's spelled Yemelin, why are they 2 ways for his name? He is 21 right now, so he would be 23/24 in 09/10.

Last edited:
Core of veterans remain as Hamilton Bulldogs look to repeat as AHL champions

11 hours ago

Back-to-back championships are rare in the American Hockey League but the Hamilton Bulldogs feel they at least have a chance to pull it off.

The return of 16 players from the team that won the Calder Cup in the spring, along with talented newcomers like forward Sergei Kostitsyn and defencemen Pavel Valentenko and Mathieu Carle, should keep them near the top in 2007-08.

The Bulldogs begin the defence of their title on the road Sunday in their regular season opener against the Rochester Americans.

"We still have a team we expect to be very competitive," said Julien BriseBois, who takes over as general manager from Montreal Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey, who oversaw both the NHL and AHL clubs last season.

"We have some very good prospects and the team benefited from the experience of winning the Calder Cup last year, and they'll bring that experience to the team this year."

Goaltender Carey Price, who starred in the AHL playoffs, centre Kyle Chipchura and centre Mikhail Grabovski all made the jump to the Canadiens out of camp, but could find themselves back in Hamilton if they falter in the NHL.

No team has repeated as AHL champion since the Springfield Indians in 1989-90 and 1990-91. The last Canadiens farm team to do it was the Nova Scotia Voyageurs in 1975-76 and 1976-77.

The Bulldogs start the campaign with injuries on defence.

Mathieu Biron (hip surgery) and Carle (knee) are out for the long term, but Andrew Archer is expected back soon from a facial bone fracture suffered in an NHL pre-season fight with Pittsburgh heavyweight Georges Laraque.

The club also suspended blue-line veteran Jamie Rivers, who did not report to Hamilton after his failed bid to make the Canadiens. He has taken time off to ponder his future in hockey, BriseBois said.

This has all given a reprieve to defencemen Jon Gleed and Gerard Miller, who were in danger of assignment to the ECHL.

Centre Ajay Baines is also out for month with a knee injury.

Returning from last season are goalies Halak and Yann Danis, defencemen Biron, Ryan O'Byrne, Archer and Jean-Philippe Cote, and forwards Duncan Milroy, Matt d'Agostini, Baines, Maxim Lapierre, Corey Locke, Jimmy Bonneau, Jonathan Ferland, Eric Manlow, Cory Urquhart and Francis Lemieux.

Also back are head coach Don Lever and his assistant Ron Wilson.

Lapierre played 46 games at centre for Montreal last season after two mid-season call-ups, but returned to the Bulldogs for the playoffs. He is expected to spend time on right wing to become more versatile.

The team's strength is in goal.

Halak earned a spot in the mid-season AHL all-star game last winter and then went an impressive 10-6 with the Canadiens during their failed late-season playoff drive. Danis also has NHL experience.

On defence, the six-foot-five O'Byrne was one of Montreal's last cuts and the team feels he needs only a little more seasoning before making the jump to the NHL. The burly Cote looked ready to make the Canadiens last season before his progress was stalled by a knee injury.

But the most-watched defenceman could be 19-year-old Valentenko, who was impressive in Montreal's camp but didn't see much action in pre-season games.
"He brings a good set of skills to the table and a big, booming shot," BriseBois said of the 2006 fifth-round draft pick. "And he's a strong, physical skater.

"We hope he'll be in the NHL in the not-too-distant future. He has to get used to the culture here and the smaller rinks."

Kostitsyn, younger brother of Canadiens winger Andrei Kostitsyn, has the advantage of two years with the junior London Knights, for whom he had 131 points last season on a line with high draft picks Patrick Kane and Sam Gagner. Sergei Kostitsyn was impressive in the Montreal camp as well.

Another newcomer is 25-year-old Janne Lahti, a solidly built left-winger from Finland who signed as a free agent.

"I wouldn't be surprised if he played some games in the NHL this year," said BriseBois.

The offensive leader of the squad is Locke, the five-foot-nine centre who was Canadian junior player of the year in 2003 with the Ottawa 67s.

The 23-year-old, who is entering his fourth season with the Bulldogs, was the team's playoff scoring leader in the spring. He had a strong camp in Montreal, but couldn't crack the NHL lineup.

"He's one of the guys who brought his game up a notch during the Calder Cup playoffs," added BriseBois.

Newcomers include 20-year-old centre Ryan Russell, who was obtained in a trade with the New York Rangers, and big left-winger Greg Stewart, who spent last season in the ECHL. Defenceman Marvin Degon signed as a free agent from AHL Hartford.

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5jOu0hIQu7rQoV9yr4xAMVfLETO_g

Actually, just about everybody who's seen Valentenko & Emelin play agrees that Emelin is superior. If Emelin is "an AHL quality Dman", what is Valentenko then? A 5th Dman on an ECHL team?

Actually Emelin, actually it's spelled Yemelin, why are they 2 ways for his name? He is 21 right now, so he would be 23/24 in 09/10.

Different ways of changing from Russian (Cyrillic Alphabet) to English.

Back