• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

He was not projected to be a goal scorer like he is. No one had a clue he would be a 30 goal kinda player.

That part is true, he was projected as a power-forward with playmaking skills. He was actually a pretty good passer in college. All changed when he got paired with Desharnais. With a crafty playmaker to feed him the puck at all time, all he had to do was find open space and be in a position to take a shot. And he started developing a pretty lethal wrist shot. He's not at all the same player he was in college.

Yeah, not sure where that comment came from. I have read that Max was on the radar from the time he turned 14 or so.

On the Radar? lol So where hundred of high school kids.
2004-05 Taft School USHS 23 5 14 19
2005-06 Taft School USHS 26 7 26 33

I dont think his early days were exciting to many NHL Gms lol

That part is true, he was projected as a power-forward with playmaking skills. He was actually a pretty good passer in college. All changed when he got paired with Desharnais. With a crafty playmaker to feed him the puck at all time, all he had to do was find open space and be in a position to take a shot. And he started developing a pretty lethal wrist shot. He's not at all the same player he was in college.

Thats what i mean.. no one thought he could score like that. It was an awesome surprise

My scout buddy says he might be the most complete 2 way player in the NCAA right now .

He doesnt see a bust just dont expect a 1C to emerge . If he part Oreilly and Jordan Staal I have no issue with that .

Either of Staal or ROR would make him a first line center on this team.

On the Radar? lol So where hundred of high school kids.
2004-05 Taft School USHS2351419
2005-06 Taft School USHS2672633

I dont think his early days were exciting to many NHL Gms lol
Taft is an elite prep school hockey program. FYI - what happens in most elite prep school programs around here, is they go to Canada get 18 & 19 year old junior Bs to go back and play as grade 10-12 so they can stack their teams to be competitive. The actual 15-17 year olds who make the team more often than not are quite exceptional, and end up being 1st or 2nd round picks - think Chris Higgins, Jonathan Quick, Pacioretty, Cam Atkinson, Nick Bonino, Kevin Miller, Ryan Donato etc..

In New England - Avon Old Farms, Rosemary Choate, Kingswood Oxford here in CT are renowned for stacking their teams with Canadian junior overagers and no one does anything about the lying & cheating due to the $ being pulled in. It’s like he 6’3” 12-year old fireballer with a beard from Philippines at the Little League World Series....

Cayden Primeau is a finalist for the Mike Richter Award as NCAA's most outstanding goalie.

The other finalists are Matthew Galajda (Cornell/UFA), Tanner Jaillet (Denver/UFA), Cale Morris (Notre Dame/UFA) and Colton Point (Colgate/DAL).

Taft is an elite prep school hockey program. FYI - what happens in most elite prep school programs around here, is they go to Canada get 18 & 19 year old junior Bs to go back and play as grade 10-12 so they can stack their teams to be competitive. The actual 15-17 year olds who make the team more often than not are quite exceptional, and end up being 1st or 2nd round picks - think Chris Higgins, Jonathan Quick, Pacioretty, Cam Atkinson, Nick Bonino, Kevin Miller, Ryan Donato etc..

In New England - Avon Old Farms, Rosemary Choate, Kingswood Oxford here in CT are renowned for stacking their teams with Canadian junior overagers and no one does anything about the lying & cheating due to the $ being pulled in. It’s like he 6’3” 12-year old fireballer with a beard from Philippines at the Little League World Series....

I had brunch at the Avon Old Farms Inn once. Very hoity-toity. Ice sculptures and everything.

As I said, he was on the radar young. If you go to Taft, Nichols in Buffalo, or Shattuck in Minnesota, for hockey, you’re on the radar.

I was wondering when the Rocket were going to sign a Dman to an ATO . Thats where the team is really short in numbers (and quality too i might add).

Johnny Austin is quite the name, also has a brother who had a decent first year at Colgate as a freshman Dman. He made the ECAC rookie team.

Last edited:
You'd think with all the prospects playing NCAA hockey that the major college tournaments would be carried on TSN or Sportsnet instead of the usual crap like poker, curling, MMA, etc. but no. Only the Frozen Four will be televised on TSN2. The big tournament happening this weekend is only available on TSNGO which isn't really a thing for most people.

I actually like Poker shows.....especially when the big names are featured.

Love seing Phil Helmut leave the table pissed-off and calling everyone names

I actually like Poker shows.....especially when the big names are featured.

Love seing Phil Helmut leave the table pissed-off and calling everyone names

Poker isn't a sport worthy of being on an all-sports channel. Just like stupid shows like Pawn Stars and Storage Wars have no business being on a so-called "History" channel. They just constitute cheap content that fills up time. Showing NCAA hockey might cost them money to buy the rights.

I've never heard of Phil Helmut but his anger is a put-on. These poker players don't play with their own money. There are always people who put up the stakes for them. Personally I think darts tournaments are more exiting and "sports adjacent" than poker.

And millennials basically killed off the best kind of sports show: talking head shows where jaded sportswriters argue with each other. It's like a live version of this place. I miss 110%. Can you imagine how great it would be right now with the Habs playing as badly as they have this season? I'd kill to see Pierre Rinfret, Michel Villeneuve, Jean Perron and Francois Gagnon go at it like in the old days. That's entertainment!

Ryan Poehling. He is coming in under the radar. Top line center on the best team in the NCAA. Its debatable but some actually feel these players are more ready for the pros than the CHL players because of the training. This guy is big, and now starting to show the offensive numbers. Very similar to Toews numbers. He is very young and made the jump to College hockey very early. We may have a gem on the way folks. I am hoping.

It dépends at what age they jump to pro. Seniors who finish school (around ages 22-25) are usually physically ready to be playing pro hockey. Freshmen & sophmores is more of a case by case.

I don't have any doubts, short of injury or some other unforeseen circumstances, that Poehling's a future NHLer. Most likely a #2 C on a good team, which is great to have.

As usual, I'm of the opinion that there's no rush to sign him. When he played in the WJC, he was not a dominant player. To me, that's the standard as to whether or not a player is potentially ready for the NHL next year. If he's one of the top players of the best of his age group under 20 years old, he's ready for the next level. He should return to the NCAA for a third season, dominate the WJC & the college ranks and then go pro for the 2019-2020 season.

Mikael Lalancette says the Habs are interested in QMJHL overagers Alexandre Alain and Olivier Galipeau.

Alain (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=213472) is a 6'2" right-shot center who had 87 points in 65 games this season.

Galipeau (http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=156090) is a 6'0" left-shot defenceman who had 74 points in 67 games this season.

Well at least both are 6 feet or over, the French media were lambasting the Canadiens for not pursuing a few 5 foot nothing Quebec overagers.

Back