• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Ridiculous comparing MM to 4 year OHL guys like the Ruperts...

Why?

He played two years of USNTDP at over 60 games a year, many of those against either the top players in his age group (U17 and U18 tourneys) or NCAA teams.

Why is that so different? What adjustments to the OHL game are needed??

Look at other forwards from US NTDP who were drafted high.... Reid Boucher made an immediate OHL impact, so did JT Miller, so did Charlie Coyle in the QMJHL... so did nearly every guy who is a legit NHL prospect. Why are these guys able to jump right into the CHL and be impact players bout McCarron can't.

The only guy who fell on his face the way McCarron did is Tyler Biggs. Thats it for forwards.

This argument that he was an OHL rookie is bullshit. He wasn't playing against chopped liver at the USNTDP, in fact those NCAA teams (due to age) that he played against would beat even the best CHL teams.

The reality is... McCarron on the NTDP is the same player he is in the OHL. A big guy, who doesn't skate well enough, and doesn't have the hands, so he doesn't score much (just over 0.5 PPG). Thats it. He is who he is.

Last edited:
To the McCarron apologists, all of you.

Please, please, please answer my question. Quit evading it, quit spinning it, quit ignoring it altogether.

How is someone who can't play in Junior at 19 going to make it in the NHL?

**** off with the "HE'S BIG!", "NET PRESENCE!", "GOOD ON THE BOARDS!" bullshit. He's big but has no net presence and isn't good on the boards. If he actually had net presence or was good on the boards, odds are he'd be better than a fourth line center at the end of the year.

How is someone who has no net presence in Junior going to figure it out in the NHL when he has to face bigger & stronger d-men?

Last edited:
How is a someone who can't play in Junior at 19 going to make it in the NHL?

He's......

bryzgalov-humongous-big-450x293.jpg

habsss, Boxscore Reader, Sal. People who still defend the pick under weird pretexts and ignoring/spinning any facts thrown their way.

"But he's big!"

"But he's this!"

"But he's that!"

"But he's..."

He sucks and it was a very bad pick.

Agree and likely a long shot fro NHL.
A poor 1st round pick; would of been an OK 2nd round pick or a good 3rd round pick and would peg him as in the 17-25% chance of NHL career, which is odd of picks #31-90 making it.
Hope he surprises all this season and maybe should give Timmins benefit of doubt for seeing something in the kid; other than being 6'5" 230lb.

They are a junior team... and no matter how stacked they are here are guys who scored more than him.

Chris tierney... 55th overall pick... 2.5x the points.
Ryan Rupert 6th round... more than double the points.
Matt rupert... undrafted.... double the points. 33 goals vs mccarrons 34 points.
Mitch marner... a 16 year old.
Brety welychka.... undrafted. 56points
Josh anderson... 6'3 4th round pick.. 51 points
Gemel Smith.... 4th round pick... 27 points in 29 games for London... 75 points on the full season (Owen Sound + London).

Include domi and horvat and 9 forwards and 1 dman on london who were better offensive options than McCarron. NINE FORWARDS... thats crazy.

Oh and you've got Christian Dvorak, a 17 year old who was only slightly behind McCarron in terms of PPG.

This is a junior team who will get destroyed by ahl teams.

There are 60 junior teams in the chl... plus the ushl plus the ncaa plus europe.

Gaining a spot in the ahl and nhl isnt going to be easier.

If he cant beat out long shot prospects like rupert... rupert.. welychka and anderson for points and ice time. When he is a fourth line OHL player by points, why is he going to become good enough to play a role in the nhl? Any role?

What junior players who sucked became productive nhlers?

Good lord man it was his first year playing junior hockey - can we at least give him one more year to see if he can put it together before we have the temerity to say he sucks? Look I'll grant you it doesn't look good at this point but the guy is a project. Give him one more year before you throw him under the bus...

Last edited:
God lord man it was his first year playing junior hockey - can we at least give him one more year to see if he can put it together before we have the temerity to sat he sucks? Look I'll grant you it doesn't look good at this point but the guy is a project. Give him one more year before you throw him under the bus...
He played 60 games a year against ushl teams... ncaa teams... and the best u17 and u18 teams in the world.

It was his first year in the ohl but not his first year playing competition that tough or tougher (ncaa is tougher competition than ohl)

With the exception of tyler biggs... every other high drafted forward coming from the us ntdp to the ohl has put up big numbers.

Its time to stop with this as an excuse.

He played 60 games a year against ushl teams... ncaa teams... and the best u17 and u18 teams in the world.

It was his first year in the ohl but not his first year playing competition that tough or tougher (ncaa is tougher competition than ohl)

With the exception of tyler biggs... every other high drafted forward coming from the us ntdp to the ohl has put up big numbers.

Its time to stop with this as an excuse.

its time to stop beating a dead horse and lets talk about some one else

To the McCarron apologists, all of you.

Please, please, please answer my question. Quit evading it, quit spinning it, quit ignoring it altogether.

**** off with the "HE'S BIG!", "NET PRESENCE!", "GOOD ON THE BOARDS!" bullshit. He's big but has no net presence and isn't good on the boards. If he actually had net presence or was good on the boards, odds are he'd be better than a fourth line center at the end of the year.

How is someone who has no net presence in Junior going to figure it out in the NHL when he has to face bigger & stronger d-men?

Wow, getting a little touchy aren't we!? How do you know he has no net presence and isn't good along the boards? Just curious. Here's his talent analysis from the Hockeysfuture.com website. Try not to puke while you're reading!!

Talent Analysis

McCarron has the hockey sense, work ethic, character and offensive skills to be player that could fit anywhere in the team's line-up. He has excellent puck protection skills down low and good hands around the opposition's net. The young winger loves crashing and banging on the fore check or playing in the dirty areas along with a willingness to drop the gloves when necessary. His skating is very good for a big man but still needs improvement with his balance, agility and acceleration. He projects as a possible power forward that could play in the top-nine at the NHL level.

Sure doesn't sound like a total putz to me. Let him finish his junior career and then you can say I told you so. 34 points in 66 games ain't exactly setting the OHL on fire, but for a guy who played mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes it really doesn't seem that bad for his first time in the league - I don't care what Ben says. Lets just wait and see how he does this year...

lets talk about Hudon and his chances of ever being on this roster one day

Hudon, great little player but at 5' 10" and 180 or so he seems a lot like many of our other smallish skilled forwards. Methinks he needs at least 2 years in Hamilton...

Hockey's Future says this about Tyler Biggs.

"At 6’3 and over 220lbs, Biggs is a monster on skates and moves well for a player of his size. He can dominate down low in the offensive zone and cycles the puck well. Defensively he’s sound and can be used as a penalty killing forward. He can be an intimidating figure when he wants to, but questions have surrounded his consistency."

- moves well?
- dominate down low?
- cycles the puck well?

Have they even watched this guy???

Actually just compare that report and the one about McCarron.... sounds like the same putz... I mean guy.

Last edited:
Here are some other comments on McCarron if you don't care what I have to say

http://prospects.dobbersports.com/i...gbloods-brutally-honest-memorialcup-ramblings

"Michael McCarron (Canadiens) continues to show very limited hockey sense and falling into habits that would irritate any coach. He has perfected the play where he comes down the wing and fires a wrist shot from the top of the circle, hoping to cash in on the 1 in 1, 000, 000 chance that the puck goes in."

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL
Never been less impressed with 1st-rounder at MemCup than I was with #Habs McCarron. Huge but no motor, zero skill, blockhead goonery

Gare Joyce ‏@GareJoyceNHL
Forget about the next level, the way he played I'm not sure McCarron's even a third-liner in the CHL. Brutal pick.

HockeyProspect.com - The Black Book 2014 Edition
LON #24 RW McCarron, Michael (Montreal) - Michael struggled with the puck today getting knocked around by much smaller players and lacks the speed or puck protection to maintain puck control for long periods of time.

Last edited:
Hudon, great little player but at 5' 10" and 180 or so he seems a lot like many of our other smallish skilled forwards. Methinks he needs at least 2 years in Hamilton...
I like Hudon and seems a nice player, as well as Lehkonen & Reway seemed nice & skilled also, but more a 'fan' of Gregoire.
I also thought Ryan White might end up being a Darcy Tucker-type and maybe had too-high hopes for Holland also so WTH do I know.

Wow, getting a little touchy aren't we!? How do you know he has no net presence and isn't good along the boards? Just curious. Here's his talent analysis from the Hockeysfuture.com website. Try not to puke while you're reading!!

Talent Analysis

McCarron has the hockey sense, work ethic, character and offensive skills to be player that could fit anywhere in the team's line-up. He has excellent puck protection skills down low and good hands around the opposition's net. The young winger loves crashing and banging on the fore check or playing in the dirty areas along with a willingness to drop the gloves when necessary. His skating is very good for a big man but still needs improvement with his balance, agility and acceleration. He projects as a possible power forward that could play in the top-nine at the NHL level.

Ever watch him play? I have and that scouting report is laughable.

Zero net presence.

Ineffective on the boards.

Both in large part because he's just not a very good player.

Sure doesn't sound like a total putz to me. Let him finish his junior career and then you can say I told you so. 34 points in 66 games ain't exactly setting the OHL on fire, but for a guy who played mostly 3rd and 4th line minutes it really doesn't seem that bad for his first time in the league - I don't care what Ben says. Lets just wait and see how he does this year...

Have you ever seen him play? I'm talking an actual game with your own eyes without having to read a report on a site with no credibility.

Do you not find it remotely puzzling that he couldn't do better than 3rd/4th line minutes on an above-average OHL team? With his physical attributes and alleged offensive skills (despite never putting up numbers anywhere?) on top of being a 19 year old?

I'll repeat the question I've asked a dozen times but have received zero answers:

Please answer me that. I'm interested in hearing this.

Last edited:
Back