• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Poehling's a pretty good prospect, but let's relax a little.

Let's just break this down quickly: Who would be ranked before him in this draft?

Dahlin, franchise D. Big fat duh.
Svechnikov & Zadina are both much more talented than Poehling. Both out-performed him in the WJC despite being a year younger.
Wahlstrom has some tremendous stats in the USNP and could probably be a solid first line winger à la Brock Boeser.
Kotkaniemi had a better U18 than Poehling in their draft years and was not surrounded by the same level of talent.
Hughes is a first pairing d-man in the making.

There isn't a single credible argument you (or anyone outside of Poehling's immediate family) can make that Poehling would theoretically be taken before any of those six. So right away, that "he'd go top-3 in this draft" stuff is... well...

After that you can start making an argument for him vs Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Farabee, but even then, I'd probably take all of them except Tkachuk over Poehling.

Poehling's a pretty good prospect, but let's relax a little.

Let's just break this down quickly: Who would be ranked before him in this draft?

Dahlin, franchise D. Big fat duh.
Svechnikov & Zadina are both much more talented than Poehling. Both out-performed him in the WJC despite being a year younger.
Wahlstrom has some tremendous stats in the USNP and could probably be a solid first line winger à la Brock Boeser.
Kotkaniemi had a better U18 than Poehling in their draft years and was not surrounded by the same level of talent.
Hughes is a first pairing d-man in the making.

There isn't a single credible argument you (or anyone outside of Poehling's immediate family) can make that Poehling would theoretically be taken before any of those six. So right away, that "he'd go top-3 in this draft" stuff is... well...

After that you can start making an argument for him vs Tkachuk, Bouchard, Dobson, Boqvist, Farabee, but even then, I'd probably take all of them except Tkachuk over Poehling.

how do you think a re draft of 2017 would work at this point?

i assume he would be much higher than 25th

He'd probably go higher than he did. You'd have to think that Tolvanen, Frost and maybe Kostin, Timmins & Heponiemi would have a chance of being ranked above him. It's too early to tell when it comes to re-doing last year's draft.

There's a few players I would take Poehling above them like Rasmussen, Vilardi, Valimaki, Liljegren (maybe), Vaakanainen, Norris, Joseph.

Last edited:
There's a few players I would take Poehling above them like Rasmussen, Vilardi, Valimaki, Liljegren (maybe), Vaakanainen, Norris, Joseph.
Did I miss something? When did .86 in a 18 yr old sophomore season become particularly impressive?

Just in the last few years some good but hardly high end prospects like Trent Frederic, Luke Kunin, & Tage Thompson have put up better numbers at the same age in the NCAA. Legit impact kids like Keller, Connor, & Boeser were in the 1.3-1.5ppg range as 18 yr olds in the NCAA.

Vilardi just put up 1.8ppg in his 18 yr old post draft season, that's monstrous. If you're re drafting today he moves up, not down. Rasmussen probably slides from 9, but 6'6 1.25 PPG and a crazy 2.35ppg in 14 playoff games makes it hard to drop him very far. Valimaki showing no real improvement despite being old for his draft class (19 all season) probably slides pretty heavy from 16th. Lilly was a top 4 defender for most of the back half of the season for the AHL champions, as an 18 yr old in a league that most 19-20 yr olds struggle like hell in (He was one of the only U20 defenders in the league and easily the best of the bunch), in a redraft he moves up, not down.

Looking at the guys drafted behind him, yeah there's about as many who would vault Poehling as there is kids who were drafted before Poehling that he would vault in a redraft. Frost, Jokiharju (young for the draft class, RHD who just went 1.1 PPG), Tolvanen, Kostin, maybe Timmins, maybe Lind (bit old..), Hague, Robertson, Heponiemi, & Anderson-Dolan would all be considered in that same range after the ~15 pick. A lot of kids in this draft had firecracker post draft seasons. Poehling's wasn't bad, but it wasn't good enough to separate him from a bunch of these other kids, and not enough to catch up to the vast majority of the bunch picked ahead of him imo.

The Habs, Leafs and Senators will take part in a rookie showdown September 7, 8 and 9 at Place Bell in Laval.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/...th-and-9th-at-place-bell-in-laval/c-299162108

Will the Montreal org stream those games for fans now that Geoff talked about « improving the experience of the fans » ?

Lest year’s rookie showdown was broadcast by Leafs TV, and the Canadiens-Senators game was not streamed at all.

They did lose a lot of points in my book for that last year.
It was the only game not stream by an NHL team taking part in a rookie tournament last summer.
I could see it from an org like Ottawa, but for Montreal that was baffling.

So apparently Timmins and the Habs were very high on Romanov. There is no hiding from this pick for Timmins.

They seem pretty happy with their draft, time will tell.

Timmins kept mentioning speed and skill. They want a fast game. Apparently most of the guys drafted can play at full speed.

Timmins kept mentioning speed and skill. They want a fast game. Apparently most of the guys drafted can play at full speed.

Which is funny... outside of Ylonen it seemed that all the guys they drafted aren't really described as fast in their scouting reports. None of them are called slow mind you.

Which is funny... outside of Ylonen it seemed that all the guys they drafted aren't really described as fast in their scouting reports. None of them are called slow mind you.

Yeah...most have skating issue....outside of Ylonen and the US winger

Romanov is being compared to Nate Schmidt in terms of speed & lateral skating ability - neither of which fall under the “skating issue” category.

FWIW - Habs are getting rave reviews for their draft scorecard from talking heads.

Romanov is being compared to Nate Schmidt in terms of speed & lateral skating ability - neither of which fall under the “skating issue” category.

FWIW - Habs are getting rave reviews for their draft scorecard from talking heads.

Meh. Only Gorniak was described as the shooter that could compliment all their hundreds of passers they drafted. I guess goal scoring will be by committee going forward.

Another problem with the Habs is timing. They never seem to have a top 5 pick in a draft deep in centers. Next year is supposed to be deep, watch them get the wildcard.

Back