• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Ryan Poehling. He is coming in under the radar. Top line center on the best team in the NCAA. Its debatable but some actually feel these players are more ready for the pros than the CHL players because of the training. This guy is big, and now starting to show the offensive numbers. Very similar to Toews numbers. He is very young and made the jump to College hockey very early. We may have a gem on the way folks. I am hoping.

I will be shocked if he is a 1C in the NHL. He is a good 200 foot C prospect , in the mold of Ryan Oreilly.

The only knock on him is his offensive potential and top end end wheels.

My only concern is we drafted him in the first round with this regime .....you get the development issue :drink

I will be shocked if he is a 1C in the NHL. He is a good 200 foot C prospect , in the mold of Ryan Oreilly.

My only concern is we drafted him in the first round with this regime .....you get the development issue :drink

Given that we currently don't have a center even half as good as O'Reilly I'll be very happy if Poehling is him 2.0.

Those are two knocks, actually, and they are the absolute worst knocks you can have. If he has no offensive potential he's just another DLR. If he's got no top end wheels he's just another McCarron.

That's a really nice goal and all, but all players have highlights. You can't take one moment and say it's the norm.

Also, that's the NCAA right? So he's playing against mostly un-drafted older players?

Also, he won't be allowed to try that when he becomes a Canadien. He will get traded to Nashville if he does that here.

Last edited:
Those are two knocks, actually, and they are the absolute worst knocks you can have. If he has no offensive potential he's just another DLR. If he's got no top end wheels he's just another McCarron.

Do you just make this shit up? There is some good vids on youtube about his progression. The kid is really good

That's a really nice goal and all, but all players have highlights. You can't take one moment and say it's the norm.

Also, that's the NCAA right? So he's playing against mostly un-drafted older players?

Also, he won't be allowed to try that when he becomes a Canadien. He will get traded to Nashville if he does that here.

Lots of good NHL player come from the NCAA. His team has 3 drafted players alone.

Lots of good NHL player come from the NCAA. His team has 3 drafted players alone.

3 isn't a big number. So, that's not a great argument.

With that said -- I have no issue with Poeling. But, he's not projected to be a first line C. Thinking that he will be will likely just create future disappointment.

WeHave doesn't know anything about him and refuses to do homework. WeHave is the kinda poster that just says stuff.

Poeling is considered our current best prospect. His major flaw seems to be his lack of speed.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=288045

Yes his speed was mentioned but said his hockey skill will make up for it. Max came out of no where from college hockey and this guy appears way better.

Do you just make this shit up? There is some good vids on youtube about his progression. The kid is really good

YouTube is no way to evaluate talent. Remember when the Goat fired a bunch of scouts and decided that using video was just as good? How's that working out? YouTube posters only post highlights, not lowlights (unless they are epic-level bad) and they don't post the run-of-the-mill, average shifts. You have to watch complete games which I doubt many here have done with regard to Poeling.

Yes his speed was mentioned but said his hockey skill will make up for it. Max came out of no where from college hockey and this guy appears way better.

actually i just read some more stuff and now they are saying he is a gifted swift skater lol. All i know is that he has made huge strides from his under aged rookie season. His production and over all play makes him the best center on the best team in the NCAA.

YouTube is no way to evaluate talent. Remember when the Goat fired a bunch of scouts and decided that using video was just as good? How's that working out? YouTube posters only post highlights, not lowlights (unless they are epic-level bad) and they don't post the run-of-the-mill, average shifts. You have to watch complete games which I doubt many here have done with regard to Poeling.

There is an interview there with his coach about this season and how he has improved. Go read some recent articles. The guy is good. I kinda forgot about the guy until sportnet mentioned him last night and how the Habs are hoping he develops into a number one or two C in the near future. After reading some stuff i can see why

WeHave doesn't know anything about him and refuses to do homework. WeHave is the kinda poster that just says stuff.

Poeling is considered our current best prospect. His major flaw seems to be his lack of speed.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=288045

If his major flaw is a lack of speed that's not good. Today's NHL is all about speed. Just ask McCarron. Just look at McCarron trying to keep up. There's a reason why he's having trouble keeping an NHL job while Paul Byron is playing a regular shift: speed.

Why can't we draft players who skate and score at an NHL level but who only lack the stuff that's easily taught, like defensive awareness? I have hope for Poeling but I've heard glowing reports about Habs' prospects before and I'm still waiting to see one who actually came as advertised.

What do you mean Max came out of no where? First round picks don't come out of no where. And he played at Michigan under Red Berenson, a really good program.

If his major flaw is a lack of speed that's not good. Today's NHL is all about speed. Just ask McCarron. Just look at McCarron trying to keep up. There's a reason why he's having trouble keeping an NHL job while Paul Byron is playing a regular shift: speed.

Why can't we draft players who skate and score at an NHL level but who only lack the stuff that's easily taught, like defensive awareness? I have hope for Poeling but I've heard glowing reports about Habs' prospects before and I'm still waiting to see one who actually came as advertised.

I just read several websites saying he is fast with powerful strides. Not sure where this slow talk is coming from.

What do you mean Max came out of no where? First round picks don't come out of no where. And he played at Michigan under Red Berenson, a really good program.

Yeah, not sure where that comment came from. I have read that Max was on the radar from the time he turned 14 or so.

He was not projected to be a goal scorer like he is. No one had a clue he would be a 30 goal kinda player.

My scout buddy says he might be the most complete 2 way player in the NCAA right now .

He doesnt see a bust just dont expect a 1C to emerge . If he part Oreilly and Jordan Staal I have no issue with that .

Back