• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

I'd say that's pretty much where we all are. Can only hope for the best but not have great expectations.

I'm with Don on this one. What's done is done. Hope he pans out.

And the fact is that it was a pick with hopes that we can get a beast of a player with some offensive upside...it was a flat out gamble that didn't work out in all likelihood.

We had an organizational need for this type of Lucic, Simmonds type player and they took a chance hoping he can be that type of guy..how are you supposed to land a player like that if you don't take a gamble.

Big deal...many picks don't pan out, this is a reality for all 29 other teams.

Move on and if he can be a serviceable 4rth liner you cut your loses

Because it's a first rounder and that it looks to be a very bad pick? Nobody would be talking about him had we drafted him in the second or 3rd round.

But you're making it sound like every first rounder is a guaranteed NHL player...look at the Habs track record with first rounders from Fisher to Leblanc to all those picks from the 90's.

All teams screw up first rounders....it's reality!

Why some of you are dwelling so much on this 25 overall pick and bashing it each chance you get I don't really understand.

The kid had a rough first year, the pick doesn't look great...oh well!

There are a couple of posters here who won't let it go.

I think I know why...this pick generated a lot of excitement from most Habs fans because of the simple thirst for size combined with a certain level of skill.

On top of that MCC speaks about being a Lucic type player etc...and this just adds to the intrigue.

I'm not going to go further but this a community that strives on invalidating posters, cynicism and dissension

And to be honest we're all guilty of it so I'm not targeting any one or two posters...we all have our thing, this is just an example of a debate we are seeing this in

You mean like how you & Count will never let go of the 2003 draft?

Look at the part I bolded above.

We're all guilty of this...don't feel targeted.

I do it to...I couldn't stand Gainey as a GM and I harped on it

Last edited:
I think I know why...this pick generated a lot of excitement from most Habs fans because of the simple thirst for size combined with a certain level of skill

Btw, BKerr and I hated the pick from the second it was taken. BKerr was worrying the whole draft day that we were going to be stupid enough to take McCarron. This isn't 20/20 hindsight. We aren't suddenly saying this.

Again, though, you first say he has offensive potential (based on what exactly? The fact that he hasn't put up a PPG in any league since he was 14 years old?) and a certain level of skill... What skills? Skating? Nope. Hockey IQ? Nope. Offensive ability? Nope. Size? He sure has size but his deficiencies in his other aspects of the game make his size irrelevant.

The organization probably overreacted to the Ottawa series, which is laughable because we outplayed Ottawa in three of the first four games but lost because Anderson was standing on his head, because we were crushed physically and decided to go big in the draft. Big mistake.

Btw, BKerr and I hated the pick from the second it was taken. BKerr was worrying the whole draft day that we were going to be stupid enough to take McCarron. This isn't 20/20 hindsight. We aren't suddenly saying this.

Again, though, you first say he has offensive potential (based on what exactly? The fact that he hasn't put up a PPG in any league since he was 14 years old?) and a certain level of skill... What skills? Skating? Nope. Hockey IQ? Nope. Offensive ability? Nope. Size? He sure has size but his deficiencies in his other aspects of the game make his size irrelevant.

The organization probably overreacted to the Ottawa series, which is laughable because we outplayed Ottawa in three of the first four games but lost because Anderson was standing on his head, because we were crushed physically and decided to go big in the draft. Big mistake.

Yeah I know you and bKerr hated the pick from the get go...but overall a lot of Habs fans got excited at the fact we drafted a hulking 6'6 forward who had a certain offensive upside I don't think anyone expects a high potential but the guy can skate pretty well for a big man and his hands aren't bad.

GGpx...I watched the exhibitions games he played in last year and he didn't look completely inept offensively, his hands and skating aren't as bad as some think.

Am I fair to say this?

Lol....so each NHL organization has been set back because they miss out on the Claude Giroux and Patrice Bergeron of the drafts?

Common man! That reasoning is completely flawed

It's a draft and it's an imperfect science and no one can predict if Giroux or Bergeron would have become what they become on another team....don't discount player development in your reasoning

Impossible to even bat 500 in the draft...for all the Fishers and Leblancs you'll get your Subbans or Gallaghers

You win some and you lose some....but yeah too bad we couldn't pick Giroux or Bergeron but it hasn't set the organization back because no one knows how Giroux woukd have turned out in Montreal

Look at the habs in the 90s....all those first rounders that did nothing.

Yes it sets us back.

Eric Chouinard
Jason Ward
Matt Higgins (yes...Matt not Chris)
Terry Ryan
Brad Brown
Saku Koivu
David Wilkie
Brent Bilodeau
Turner Stevenson

a decade of shit with Saku being the only decent player

Even with MMC sucking, that draft is looking quite strong with Fucale, DeLaRose, Lehkonen, and Reway all placing in the recent top 100+ prospect list.

I am not impressed with Fucale.

But I am not educated enough on him or how CHL goalies translate to the NHL.

They took a gamble on a big body with some potential offensive ability because it was an organizational need....that's the draft man

If they were ****ing up each year I'd be concerned...but Timmins has done a good job overall, so the MCC pick doesn't look good I agree...but its not the end of the world.

You, me or Bkerr and yes even Timmins did not know that he was going to struggle as much as he did this past year....impossible to anticipate any players development.

But you win some and you lose some...they took a chance on him at #25 and it doesn't look great now

So what....it happens but on the flip side jDR looks pretty damn good from the few games I saw him

I do not have a problem with them taking the chance. They took the chance and it failed. But Timmins has taken quite a few chances in the first round that missed. Leblanc, McCarron, Fischer....thankfully 2007 was a good year...but that was 7 years ago now.

I hope MB learned from the Parros, Murray, McCarron disaster.

Big unskilled players are useless.

BKerr has also been cheering for McCarron to fail since the day he was drafted.

Guy likes to pretend he's a scout, shill his website here and hopes that if McCarron fails, he was the first one to call it

He shit on McCarron before the habs even drafted him.

Keep thinking that is his motivation though.

Look at the habs in the 90s....all those first rounders that did nothing.

Yes it sets us back.

Eric Chouinard
Jason Ward
Matt Higgins (yes...Matt not Chris)
Terry Ryan
Brad Brown
Saku Koivu
David Wilkie
Brent Bilodeau
Turner Stevenson

a decade of shit with Saku being the only decent player

Yeah, that flagrantly sure it does to a certain extent and it proves my point that bad picks happen all the time

But in this situation a bad first rounder here and there is reality all organizations face....so the MCC pick is a screw up apparently.

But you bounce back the following year or had a good one the year before etc...it's how it goes.

Why some of you are making it seem like it's the end of the world and that the habs will never recover from this pick I just don't get.

It's done...they gambled and probably lost.

Move on

I do not have a problem with them taking the chance. They took the chance and it failed. But Timmins has taken quite a few chances in the first round that missed. Leblanc, McCarron, Fischer....thankfully 2007 was a good year...but that was 7 years ago now.

I hope MB learned from the Parros, Murray, McCarron disaster.

Big unskilled players are useless.

You call it taking a chance...but isn't that what drafting is?

Taking a chance or a gamble...no one knows how a player will turn out, not you, not me or not Timmis.

But Timmins is a lot better at it than any of us...he had a reason he drafted him for sure

Timmins likes the occasional gamble in the first round but Leblanc was a safe pick. Just like Chipchura. Safe doesn't always work out, that's what makes drafting hard.

Timmins gambles were AKos, Fischer and McCarron. I guess he gets the bug every few years.

Because it's a first rounder and that it looks to be a very bad pick? Nobody would be talking about him had we drafted him in the second or 3rd round.

Pretty much.

Though I mocked the shit out of Oiler fans about Mitch Moroz (2nd rounder).

Post draft year.

Both played on pretty good CHL teams.

69GP 13 G 21A 34PT 140PIM

66GP 14G 20A 34PT 120PIM

One of those is Moroz....one if McCarron.

Both horrible picks.

As for Moroz second post draft year...he didnt get to PPG....so a PPG for McCarron would be nice.

At this point the only thing that would give me hope that McCarron can be anything other than a goon is if it turns out he had SARS last year.

Back