• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

Button also drafted Derian Hatcher, Lehtinen, Langenbrunner, Iginla, Turco and Morrow while Dir of Amateur Scouting for Dallas.

Yes, he did. That's why I still post Craig's List on FI all the time - I suppose there's some value in it. I just thought it was funny that someone suggested we hire him given his reported role in encouraging the Rask for Raycroft and 1st, 2nd, and 4th for Toskala deals.

Rielly was hurt in November of 2011 and didn't "turn it on in January". He had basically the same injury as Galchenyuk and only returned in the third round of the WHL playoffs.

I wonder if Galchenyuk had played the entire season, if he'd be in Edmonton right now. Could be one of the best things to ever happen to you guys.

Yes, he did. That's why I still post Craig's List on FI all the time - I suppose there's some value in it. I just thought it was funny that someone suggested we hire him given his reported role in encouraging the Rask for Raycroft and 1st, 2nd, and 4th for Toskala deals.

Button's probably just one of those guys who's better at evaluating & scouting than he is at actually making those type of decisions. I don't discount his lists or his opinions. Are they far-fetched? Maybe, but they resemble NHL lists more than online lists. Not to mention he actually goes out and scouts, he's not in a nice chair watching tape in the TSN studios, he's actually on scouting trips.

I remember before the 2011 draft, he had Couturier 8th and Bartschi 9th. HF subsequently ridiculed him, "What a joke." was consensus there. No way is Couturier dropping to 8th and no way is Bartschi a top-10 player in this draft. Fast forward a little, and Couturier was taken 8th and now Bartschi looks like one of the best players from that draft.

Last edited:
Craig Button's record as an NHL GM speaks for itself. He was not good at it.
True but as GG stated above his strength was Amateur Scouting not being a GM, much like Gauthier made a name for himself as an Amateur Scouting Dir w les Nords, but sucked at being a GM in all his stints. People erroneously confuse specific expertise to being a solid manager and leader, capable of multi-tasking & delegating.

Craig Button's record as an NHL GM speaks for itself. He was not good at it.

A GM rarely has the time to extensively scout junior prospects. A GM might see one or two games each of the top prospects, but really doesn't have the time to scout the entire draft.

As a Scout, Button was excellent.

John Ferguson Junior was another one, great scout, terrible GM.

A GM rarely has the time to extensively scout junior prospects. A GM might see one or two games each of the top prospects, but really doesn't have the time to scout the entire draft.

As a Scout, Button was excellent.

John Ferguson Junior was another one, great scout, terrible GM.

As an amateur scout anyway.

Erik Nyström is at 2 goals & 3 assists in 10 games played in the Swedish Second Tier league.

He's doing pretty well for himself as a sixth round pick.

Tinordi, Bealieu,Leblanc=Xavier Ouellette,Tomas Tatar,etc.

But people will point ot the high percentage of Timmins' draft picks who make the NHL. Problem is, we waste first rounders on players who turn into third rounders. Better to miss on 75% of them and hit a few homeruns, than have 80% of your first rounders make the league in "some capacity" a la Kyle Chipchura.

We'd have been better off trading the picks.

Ouellet & Tatar are not elite, 1st line/pairing players by any stretch.

But sure, let's compare them to the Red Wings.

2010, draft Riley Sheahan. A player many see as a third line player. Hmmmmm.

2011, trade their first round pick for two second round picks, ended up being Thomas Jurco (8pts in 29 AHL games this season) and Ouellet (Probably a #3 at best, which is still good)

2012, trade their first round pick for Kyle Quincey, a middling d-man.

Detroit's a good franchise, but using them as a benchmark as to what to do for the draft isn't the best comparison.

If you want a good example, check out three of the younger, most depth filled teams in the NHL: St. Louis, NY Islanders & LA Kings. Look at how many draft picks they've all ****ed up over the years.

Tinordi, Bealieu,Leblanc=Xavier Ouellette,Tomas Tatar,etc.

But people will point ot the high percentage of Timmins' draft picks who make the NHL. Problem is, we waste first rounders on players who turn into third rounders. Better to miss on 75% of them and hit a few homeruns, than have 80% of your first rounders make the league in "some capacity" a la Kyle Chipchura.

We'd have been better off trading the picks.

I would advise you go back and review Habs history, may need to write a note to Sam Pollock & Serge Savard asking them why they f*cked up on so many 1st rounders. As I posted last year this org's drafted & developed 3-players over the past 40 drafts who've had even one quasi-homerun season (40+ goals or 90+ pts) - Naslund & Richer did it twice and both were 2nd rounders, the only 1st rounder since 1973 draft to have achieved high end offensive numbers was Mark Napier.

Hopefully with the infusion of non-Habs into this org will change things.....

Yes, the Red Wings have screwed up a few, I agree. Ray Ferrarro's son is another that seems to have fallen off, a fairly high pick.Not sure how that goalie, McCallum, is developing. But I guess my point is that we seem to get first rounders that seem to equate to later draft picks of other teams, including our own and the Red Wings. Still early on the three mentioned, but there was some feeling that their top side wasn't all that good at the time as well and things are shaping up that way. We have a hard time finding gold early on,going back aways as Sal points out.Going for higher risk picks may be one approach, but we may need some sort of super scout to do that. They are hard to find, but maybe the increased spending with the new management team may be a step in the right direction.

Last edited:
Bozon with another goal and 2 assists.

7 goals and 11 points in his last 4 games

A very good sign. Seems Bergevin's first draft has been yielding positive results and may turn out to be the one to yield the most players to make it to the NHL. I look forward to seeing how they run the team once hockey gets going.

Back