• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Les Habitants Prospects Thread

at 20 years old, Chara was a #4D for a shitty non-playoff WHL team.

Big guys take longer. Everything I've seen this year has given me hope that he can a productive NHL player. He's playing well in the Memorial Cup. I'll wait to see how he plays when he turns pro

Again, another unicorn, another one in a million player. Also, a third round pick. If we took McCarron in the third round, I'd have zero issues with him and I'd have no reason to bitch about him.

The reason MM will always get the shit he receives isn't because we drafted a guy based on his size & not much else, it's because we used a first round pick on him.

Except you & the others who feel otherwise have nothing to lean back on except "Just wait and see, yo!" I have given you pages of reasons with historical evidence and statistical evidence that points towards him not having a particularly good NHL career. You've given me nothing more than "Yeah, well, you'll see!" You've given me nothing to justify your belief that he'll become a top-6 player. You're scratching and clawing for the smallest of things that show that maybe he'll become a third line player. You're then hoping that maybe he becomes like Travis Moen and finds a niche in the NHL as a fourth line player.

Start a religion instead.

Yeah I'm sure thats why the habs brass made him a first round pick - because he has third line grinder upside. As far as stats go all I can say is that when I see him tip in a point shot in midair after jockeying for position in front of the net and making a nice pass on a two on one in a Memeorial cup game I cant help think about the big teams PP using a 5'7" or 5'9" skilled forward to screen a goalie well over 6', or DSP for that matter. I may be wrong and if I am I'll admit as such but until he can absolutely be called a bust I will continue to keep the faith. Go piss in someone elses cornflakes...

Except you & the others who feel otherwise have nothing to lean back on except "Just wait and see, yo!" I have given you pages of reasons with historical evidence and statistical evidence that points towards him not having a particularly good NHL career. You've given me nothing more than "Yeah, well, you'll see!" You've given me nothing to justify your belief that he'll become a top-6 player. You're scratching and clawing for the smallest of things that show that maybe he'll become a third line player. You're then hoping that maybe he becomes like Travis Moen and finds a niche in the NHL as a fourth line player.

Start a religion instead.

Regardless of your handpicked "evidence", you cannot definitively say with 100% certainty that McCarron will not be one of those very rare late bloomers that are better in the NHL than in the lower leagues. While statistics support your stance as the likely outcome, your evidence is not supporting a 100% likely outcome of a fourth liner or at best third.

This is why some people have hope. Why do people buy a lottery ticket when they know the odds are astronomically loaded against them winning? Hope. While it is highly improbable that you will win the lottery, the chance of winning is not zero.

Last edited:
Again, another unicorn, another one in a million player. Also, a third round pick. If we took McCarron in the third round, I'd have zero issues with him and I'd have no reason to bitch about him.

The reason MM will always get the shit he receives isn't because we drafted a guy based on his size & not much else, it's because we used a first round pick on him.

You keep throwing out this unicorn analogy when unicorns are myths. The players being mentioned aren't. Please adjust your analogy for those intelligent enough to follow. Many thanks.

Oh and the one in a million line? Yeah that's not working either as far less than a million players have been drafted in the history of the draft. You might want to adjust that one too.

Lastly, All people are saying is that it's happened before, it could happen again. However unlikely that may be.

Regardless of your handpicked "evidence", you cannot definitively say with 100% certainty that McCarron will not be one of those very rare late bloomers that are better in the NHL than in the lower leagues. While statistics support your stance as the likely outcome, your evidence is not supporting a 100% likely outcome of a fourth liner or at best third.

This is why some people have hope. Why do people buy a lottery ticket when they know the odds are astronomically loaded against them winning? Hope. While it is highly improbable that you will win the lottery, the chance of winning is not zero.

It's funny how you call it "handpicked evidence" when nobody is able to refute any of it or bring up any evidence of their own to the debate, but sure. It's also funny you call it handpicked since all evidence & proof anyone uses in arguments are handpicked, but whatever.

Where did I, or anyone, claim we were 100% sure what McCarron would be? We can't predict the future. I have a pretty good idea as to what I think he'll become, but I don't know that for sure.

You keep throwing out this unicorn analogy when unicorns are myths. The players being mentioned aren't. Please adjust your analogy for those intelligent enough to follow. Many thanks.

I'm only using the same analogy that the other poster used before since I was replying to him, but I'm glad you fully understand the context of the post. Thanks for paying attention next time.

Oh and the one in a million line? Yeah that's not working either as far less than a million players have been drafted in the history of the draft. You might want to adjust that one too.

Yes, I'm the only poster who's ever exaggerated a claim. One in many thousands based on a mathematical equation that I can't come up with, excuse me.

Some ppl here look at it from one side only. The players they don't like get constantly trashed while overlooking the fact this org has used most of its picks on small skilled forwards who likely will never last more than 2 mins on an NHL rink. Andrighetto, Lehkonen, Reway, Hudon, Audette, Collberg, Bozon, etc. But take a chance on a McCarron once and you never fukcing hear the fukcing end of it.

Exactly what I am getting at , and from that list of smallish players above you will be lucky if 1 sticks with us , they will be Dumont 5 game a year calls ups til they get flushed out of the system . If any of the above need to be part of a deal to land an established player get it done .

Yeah I'm sure thats why the habs brass made him a first round pick - because he has third line grinder upside. As far as stats go all I can say is that when I see him tip in a point shot in midair after jockeying for position in front of the net and making a nice pass on a two on one in a Memeorial cup game I cant help think about the big teams PP using a 5'7" or 5'9" skilled forward to screen a goalie well over 6', or DSP for that matter. I may be wrong and if I am I'll admit as such but until he can absolutely be called a bust I will continue to keep the faith. Go piss in someone elses cornflakes...

yup and this element is what we have lacked for a decade , now you have a moose down low doing the dirty work on a pp , he has decent hands and a shot as well

Both sides in this debate are ridiculous.

Mac ain't a 1 in a million long shot. And neither is he a "missing element" We've drafted junior players with size before. What's missing is that none of our recent big guys were any good in the NHL.

Mac ain't a 1 in a million long shot. And neither is he a "missing element" We've drafted junior players with size before. What's missing is that none of our recent big guys were any good in the NHL.
IMO McCarron was a Dudley special - that's the one guy in this org who's got any proven track record of finding big body gems. Byfuglien, Brouwer, Ladd (pro-scouting). Hopefull McCarron will eventually add to his findings.

It's funny how you call it "handpicked evidence" when nobody is able to refute any of it or bring up any evidence of their own to the debate, but sure. It's also funny you call it handpicked since all evidence & proof anyone uses in arguments are handpicked, but whatever.

Refute what exactly? You've been spewing the same shit for a year in between hurr durr hurr posts. Has anyone actually said that the trend of below 1.2 PPG players not being top 6 NHLers is not correct? You fail to see that you've now created a cross to bear with your irrational attacks on people hoping McCarron turns out to be more than what you claim. It's a farce at this point.

Where did I, or anyone, claim we were 100% sure what McCarron would be? We can't predict the future. I have a pretty good idea as to what I think he'll become, but I don't know that for sure.

Really? You don't know that for sure? Could have fooled me with the zeal with which you've posted regarding McCarron. You're sure that you're unsure now? You have a chance to retract.

I'm only using the same analogy that the other poster used before since I was replying to him, but I'm glad you fully understand the context of the post. Thanks for paying attention next time.

Thanks for paying attention next time? I don't even know what that means. Since you're using the "he started it" defense I'll have to counter with the classic "nuh uh" retort.

Yes, I'm the only poster who's ever exaggerated a claim. One in many thousands based on a mathematical equation that I can't come up with, excuse me.

You're excused. Knowing is half the battle.

Hope springs eternal my man. We sorely need a big forward who can play top 6 and he just might be the guy. Of this I am hopeful.

You are quite right though, every time the guys name comes up the exact same arguments are rehashed all over again, almost in exact sequence by the exact same people...

I don't follow our prospects like most here but this is the 1st time I have seen him since maybe a few shifts at camp... in fact wasn't he injured at that point? Anyhow considering the league he is currently in I am still in shock at how big he is and how easily he manhandles the defenseman he can catch along the boards. I knew he was a big lad but the guy really stands out.

He certainly has the speed to match a freight train but people do say there is lots of speed with these junior guys so maybe that is exposed a bit.

Can't really say he has a flare in front of the net to pot many goals but that size will sure make it interesting for any D-man to remove him or goalie to see around him.

Honestly... the NHL is a a massive step up in quality but if he keeps growing and his confidence continues then I think this kid could be a decent addition to a Habs roster that is always searching for size. He certainly looks better than the updates we have had on him throughout the year. I am very interested to see how he does in the AHL.

Back