• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

Not one of these idiots bothered to ask if the team was prepared to go deep into the luxury tax to make the team better.

not that i expect any answer other than we'll evaluate.

Glad to hear that we're not tanking.

We're at a place where we should be building and retooling, to continue the run of 50+ win clubs. Getting the mix right (including the right coaching) so that we become a legit playoff threat is the next step.

Glad to hear that we're not tanking.

We're at a place where we should be building and retooling, to continue the run of 50+ win clubs. Getting the mix right (including the right coaching) so that we become a legit playoff threat is the next step.

well fair enough...it's a lot easier to get worse from 59 wins than better. you have to make good basketball trades for DD and Lowry, I guess.

seems the coaching failure was egregious enough here that maybe that could be enough. given the right guy in place.

that and not playing against Lebron James.

From ESPN:

Upgrading for the postseason

Raptors get: Guard Nicolas Batum; Charlotte's 2019 first-round pick (top-10 protected in 2019, top-4 protected in 2020 and 2021, converts to second-round picks in 2022 and 2023 if not conveyed); Utah's 2018 second-round pick

Hornets get: Guard DeMar DeRozan

Jazz get: Forward/center Frank Kaminsky

Finding a top draft pick

Raptors get: Guard Wesley Matthews, Dallas' 2018 first-round pick

Mavericks get: DeRozan

Wiggins comes home

Raptors get: Guard/forward Andrew Wiggins

Wolves get: DeRozan

The Kawhi play
Raptors get: Forwards Kawhi Leonard and Rudy Gay

Spurs get: DeRozan and forwards OG Anunoby and Pascal Siakam

Which one do you do?

I guess I'll address all 3:

1) This is really enticing but I'm curious if either of Bagley/Jackson are worth taking a massive step back. I dig Wes Matthews as well (he made my list for bench mobb shooting guards last week). This would precipitate an even bigger turnover over of the roster than even I had suggested, if the desired outcome is to remain competitive. I'm curious which of Bagley or Jackson will turn into the better pro (my money is on Bagley at the moment). Doncic scares the shit out of me here though. The kid is a ridiculous lights out shooter, but I haven't seen nearly enough off ball quickness or handles to suggest that he's going to get open enough in the NBA for that sweet stroke to make a difference. Way too much downside there. I know he gets compared to a Hayward/Manu hybrid, but I just don't see enough of the "Manu" in there to justify a top 3-4 selection with the 2 athletic stretch 4's there to be picked.

I would have a really hard time saying yes to this, because I don't think anything available is a legit program changer, and I'm generally against tanking given where we are

2) No. All sorts of no. I would do a Wiggins/Teague for Lowry and stuff deal. But I don't think it can be over stated just how bad Wiggins was this season and how mediocre a feature player he's been so far in the NBA. Like I've said a few times, there are absolutely tools in there that can be turned into a perennial all star (or better). But his lack of motor on the defensive end suggests that a lot of what's holding him back is between his ears. I don't feel like being the team spending 30+ million to figure out if he has the mind set to become great, because right now the answer is no.

3) So much yes. Kawhi would give us a legit stud who is a half tier below the truly elite, and a solid step up from Demar (on both ends) signed for 1 more year at a very, very reasonable number (20M) and is then definitely someone worth throwing a monster deal at to keep him. Rudy has aged like fine wine and has transformed himself into a very respectable stretch 4, signed for one year and cheap. I dig OG and Siakam, but as I've said recently I think both are limited by lack of handles.

I guess I'll address all 3:

The Batum one isn't even worth discussing lol.

1) This is really enticing but I'm curious if either of Bagley/Jackson are worth taking a massive step back. I dig Wes Matthews as well (he made my list for bench mobb shooting guards last week). This would precipitate an even bigger turnover over of the roster than even I had suggested, if the desired outcome is to remain competitive. I'm curious which of Bagley or Jackson will turn into the better pro (my money is on Bagley at the moment). Doncic scares the shit out of me here though. The kid is a ridiculous lights out shooter, but I haven't seen nearly enough off ball quickness or handles to suggest that he's going to get open enough in the NBA for that sweet stroke to make a difference. Way too much downside there. I know he gets compared to a Hayward/Manu hybrid, but I just don't see enough of the "Manu" in there to justify a top 3-4 selection with the 2 athletic stretch 4's there to be picked.

I would have a really hard time saying yes to this, because I don't think anything available is a legit program changer, and I'm generally against tanking given where we are.

This is one that sounds a bit like what Masai was talking about but not really. Masai mentioned how we are "going to get young players and develop them" while also saying "we are not tanking". Well in this we don't really tank unless the pick is shit. Matthews would be a decent stopgap. The prize is that pick. One of Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson, or Porter will be there. i'm high on Porter personally and think if he wasn't hurt would be a top 3 pick. Would Dallas do this? Probably not since Cuban has already said that tanking for a pick is probably the best way of turning it around in Dallas.

2) No. All sorts of no. I would do a Wiggins/Teague for Lowry and stuff deal. But I don't think it can be over stated just how bad Wiggins was this season and how mediocre a feature player he's been so far in the NBA. Like I've said a few times, there are absolutely tools in there that can be turned into a perennial all star (or better). But his lack of motor on the defensive end suggests that a lot of what's holding him back is between his ears. I don't feel like being the team spending 30+ million to figure out if he has the mind set to become great, because right now the answer is no.

You're really down on Wiggins eh? The lack of defensive effort is concerning for sure. I think he offers enough upside at a young age to be worth a gamble. Thibs is known to be a hard ass. Derozan for a younger version of Derozan wouldn't be the worst deal. I think you're overvaluing Lowry a bit in recent posts. No where else have i read that he has the value you assume he does. I'd love for it to be true but 2 more years of Lowry declining doesn't seem like good value. Derozan for Wiggins + would be a risky move but one that could pay off pretty big.

3) So much yes. Kawhi would give us a legit stud who is a half tier below the truly elite, and a solid step up from Demar (on both ends) signed for 1 more year at a very, very reasonable number (20M) and is then definitely someone worth throwing a monster deal at to keep him. Rudy has aged like fine wine and has transformed himself into a very respectable stretch 4, signed for one year and cheap. I dig OG and Siakam, but as I've said recently I think both are limited by lack of handles.

Agreed on this. Kawhi would be a stud. I don't see this happening unless the rumors of a rift are true. I fully expect Kawhi to stay and all this bs to be forgotten. I also expect another team to beat our offer if it does turn out they are moving Kawhi.

The Batum one isn't even worth discussing lol.

It's really not

This is one that sounds a bit like what Masai was talking about but not really. Masai mentioned how we are "going to get young players and develop them" while also saying "we are not tanking". Well in this we don't really tank unless the pick is shit. Matthews would be a decent stopgap. The prize is that pick. One of Ayton, Bagley, Doncic, Jackson, or Porter will be there. i'm high on Porter personally and think if he wasn't hurt would be a top 3 pick. Would Dallas do this? Probably not since Cuban has already said that tanking for a pick is probably the best way of turning it around in Dallas.

Cube is cool with playing the rebuild game, because they pretty organically built a contender, went throug the contending cycle, made a bunch of mediocre to bad moves trying to maintain that after it's best before date and then declined. They're in the right place, and the right time to hit the lottery a couple of times, clear some old bodies and bad contracts, and start making splashes once they have a team of young athletes in place. So yeah, I doubt they trade the pick. With that said my previous point stands...no game changer other than Ayton imo, and he won't be available to us in a Demar trade, 100%.

You're really down on Wiggins eh? The lack of defensive effort is concerning for sure. I think he offers enough upside at a young age to be worth a gamble. Thibs is known to be a hard ass. Derozan for a younger version of Derozan wouldn't be the worst deal. I think you're overvaluing Lowry a bit in recent posts. No where else have i read that he has the value you assume he does. I'd love for it to be true but 2 more years of Lowry declining doesn't seem like good value. Derozan for Wiggins + would be a risky move but one that could pay off pretty big.

I dislike the media narrative in the NBA every bit as much as I dislike it in the NHL. We get told stuff by the hockey media all the time that is obvious garbage. Remember when every non trash defenceman was going to cost us Nylander or Marner in trade and we would be smart to make those trades immediately because we need a defender? Yeah, NBA stuff is no different. It's way more instructive to look at what moves actually get made and their composition. Top 10 point guard, only signed for 2 years. The only stink on him is the "Lebron's bitch" stink. People can assume his decline, and that's cool it will happen at some point but it hasn't happened yet. All of the metrics point to him holding steady in his prime this season. He's not reliant on quickness and athleticism, but on decision making, shooting, court IQ. All that shit ages well. He's actually a really good bet to play out the next 2 years as a top 10 PG. It's really easy to buy into the narrative right now and be down on Lowry and Demar, but we need to remember that there are about 20 teams in the league that are trying to figure out how to just get into the situations we keep choking in. They're all trying to win too, and Lowry is a legit upgrade for almost all of them.

As for Wiggins, I'm down on his performance absolutely, because his performance warrants it. Wiggins was a 2 win player this year and had a negative VORP. Kyle was a 10 win player (with a 5.0 VORP). The statistics suggest that if both perform like they did this season but wearing different jerseys, we're a 51 win team and the Wolves become a 55 win team. That's a hell of a swing. Even assume Wiggins bounces back to previous performances and it's a 6 win swing instead of an 8 game swing. So much ****ing talent, but this idea that he's massively valuable and that Kyle is a throwaway is silly and one that I doubt NBA front offices (who pay way more attention to analytics than they do to narrative) put much stock in.

Agreed on this. Kawhi would be a stud. I don't see this happening unless the rumors of a rift are true. I fully expect Kawhi to stay and all this bs to be forgotten. I also expect another team to beat our offer if it does turn out they are moving Kawhi.

Boston has so many cheap moveable pieces that it will be tough beating their offer. I think it's way more likely that Kawhi stays in SAS and they punt on Aldridge.

Dubas is just a pawn. Casey means more. It's bigger news.

The GM position in sports is nothing more than an assistant position in many cases now.

i.e Bobby Webster.

masai deserved it more, imo.

More? No

Casey should have been fired last year at the latest, the absolute latest. Everything I've read suggests that the offensive system was Nick Nurse's and Casey finally got the **** out of the way and let it be implemented because Masai told him it was getting implemented. So the best thing about the team this season wasn't his system and he had to be told to implement it.

Masai probably deserves it, but more than Casey? No

Dubas is just a pawn. Casey means more. It's bigger news.

The GM position in sports is nothing more than an assistant position in many cases now.

i.e Bobby Webster.

The GM position in the Leafs still has a lot of pull on player acquisition. A lot more than Bobby Webster has.

Back