• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

I think it’s a west coast and middle America thing. People on the east coast have been to Toronto, know it’s great. It’s the folks that have never gone who are totally ignorant.

Anthony Morrow (fwiw) says good luck to Toronto to ever sign someone of star power after what they did to DeMar.

This is the only thing that I think of when stuff like this happens. You know it will linger for quite a few summers.
Hilarious stuff. Since when was signing someone of "star power" ever an option for the Raptors?

This team has never had a star-level player that they didn't either draft or trade for.

And CH1 is 100% bang-on. This all comes back to these players having an attitude of "the Raptors should accept their lot in life as a perpetual also-ran, and be infinitely grateful & loyal to any decent players who are willing to sign in their back-water of a city". That attitude is a perfect example of why Ujiri had to trade for Kawhi.

No superstar player was ever going to make the initial jump and choose to come here of their own accord.

Every time a player gets traded we see this type of shit until the next big deal or news breaks.

I am so happy with this trade. It might not work out with Kawhi staying but at the very least Masai grew some balls and went for it.

What is next? We have a lot of wing depth right now. Miles, Green, Leonard, OG, Powell. We also have 4 PG's on the roster right now in Lowry, FVV, Delon, and Lorenzo Brown. I guess we can keep them all and run a deep rotation but i think there is a chance here to make a 2 players for 1 kind of deal to address another spot on the roster.

I wonder if Kevin Love would be a fit here. Cleveland looks like they are going to tear it down and a JV expiring contract + ??? could be enticing to them.

How would he fit here? He'd probably have a resurgence playing away from a ball dominant player like Lebron. I could see him going back to the 20+pts 12+reb guy he was years ago.

I am looking forward to Nurse expanding all of Jonas', VanVleet's, Siakam's, OG's, and Wright's roles this year. That should substantially improve us. And I don't want to lose any of them.

hell, I wish what happened to boston happened to us last year - if Demar and Ibaka had been injured all year, these kids would have had a chance to really shine, like Boston's kids did.

Lebron should have signed in TO for 1 year. Imagine adding to his legacy by bringing a championship to Canada for the first time.

I'm cool with adding Love, but more as a "**** it, we're tanking" move from Cleveland and not a "once upon a time this guy was a top 10 player and we can get top value for him" kind of thing.

Like, we have 4 point guards at the moment and as much as I dig Delon, Delon, Norm and stuff is basically the max I would consider for K Love. Preferably Delon, Serge, and stuff. We take one of their shite contracts as part of the deal (JR, Hill, the corpse of Kyle Korver, TT, whatever).

But yeah, something like that and I'm good with it. Something looking for a higher upside prospect in return, pass.

I'm cool with adding Love, but more as a "**** it, we're tanking" move from Cleveland and not a "once upon a time this guy was a top 10 player and we can get top value for him" kind of thing.

Like, we have 4 point guards at the moment and as much as I dig Delon, Delon, Norm and stuff is basically the max I would consider for K Love. Preferably Delon, Serge, and stuff. We take one of their shite contracts as part of the deal (JR, Hill, the corpse of Kyle Korver, TT, whatever).

But yeah, something like that and I'm good with it. Something looking for a higher upside prospect in return, pass.

Agreed

I hope Masai can also unload the albatross of Ibaka on someone .

I also am interested to see if Nurse can turn Norm back around.

I think that depends on what a turned around Norm looks like. I think a big part of the problem with Norm this year was actually the Nurse offence, which he's kind of a shitty fit for. Norm went from a Casey ISO offence, where he got to attack off the the dribble a lot (41% of Norm's FG's were at the rim during his breakout season, and only 35% of his FG's were 3's) in 1 on 1 situations. This also led to Norman averaging .3 FT attempts for every FG attempt. Getting into the lane puts you on the line and he's at least an average slasher so he's well suited to that life. Well, he went from that to the Nurse offense where the job of the non feature guards are to space the floor and wait for open 3's. Last year only 28% of his attempts were at the rim, which led to a very predictable drop in FT attempts to FG attempts (he dropped from .31 to .10). The Nurse offence also stresses ball movement, so Norm's more or less non existent passing game got exposed. He went from a 9.3% assist rate to a 11.8% assist rate last year, which seems good, but his TO rate shot up from 11% to 14.4% year over year.

So I'm not sure if he had a bad year so much as stylistically he's just a bad fit for the Nurse offence. He also strikes me as a rhythm shooter as well, where he has to get a bit of a sweat going and get dialed into the game before getting outside shots off. He doesn't strike me as a guy who can just defend and barely touch the ball and then be expected to hit wing/corner 3's at a decent rate when he's only getting 2-3 reps a game. That's the problem with having the style of a ball dominant feature guard, and then being asked to be an off ball 3&D type. Some guys just can't make the transition (this is actually my Rawle Alkins concern...though Rawle has legit size and length at the 2 and a better stroke than Norm)

Basically, Norm had better be spending his summer wisely. If he's not working with a shooting coach and tossing up 800-1000 reps a day from outside, I don't like his chances of rebounding.

I think that depends on what a turned around Norm looks like. I think a big part of the problem with Norm this year was actually the Nurse offence, which he's kind of a shitty fit for. Norm went from a Casey ISO offence, where he got to attack off the the dribble a lot (41% of Norm's FG's were at the rim during his breakout season, and only 35% of his FG's were 3's) in 1 on 1 situations. This also led to Norman averaging .3 FT attempts for every FG attempt. Getting into the lane puts you on the line and he's at least an average slasher so he's well suited to that life. Well, he went from that to the Nurse offense where the job of the non feature guards are to space the floor and wait for open 3's. Last year only 28% of his attempts were at the rim, which led to a very predictable drop in FT attempts to FG attempts (he dropped from .31 to .10). The Nurse offence also stresses ball movement, so Norm's more or less non existent passing game got exposed. He went from a 9.3% assist rate to a 11.8% assist rate last year, which seems good, but his TO rate shot up from 11% to 14.4% year over year.

So I'm not sure if he had a bad year so much as stylistically he's just a bad fit for the Nurse offence. He also strikes me as a rhythm shooter as well, where he has to get a bit of a sweat going and get dialed into the game before getting outside shots off. He doesn't strike me as a guy who can just defend and barely touch the ball and then be expected to hit wing/corner 3's at a decent rate when he's only getting 2-3 reps a game. That's the problem with having the style of a ball dominant feature guard, and then being asked to be an off ball 3&D type. Some guys just can't make the transition (this is actually my Rawle Alkins concern...though Rawle has legit size and length at the 2 and a better stroke than Norm)

Basically, Norm had better be spending his summer wisely. If he's not working with a shooting coach and tossing up 800-1000 reps a day from outside, I don't like his chances of rebounding.

Ya, eye test showed that he’s a great backup in an iso offense. Basically ideal spelling demar pre 1718.

But he doesn’t move the ball around well and can’t catch and shoot.

Could be a very good bench SG on a team that plays a different style of game. Plus defensive guard, and a decent slasher. He's just can't play 3&D with space.

I think he is the type of guy who will put the work in this summer to at least show somewhat of an improvement. Like you said if not they have a few others to try there.

I actually really like the Danny Green part of the trade as well. Was all defensive team season before last. I know he is 31 but I’m sure he has a few seasons left in him. (If all works and we want to retain him of course) and he can still shoot. Him and miles are a deadly combination.

Don’t think this was posted here.

Raptors on corner three-pointers
C.J. Miles 51%, 49% past two years
Danny Green 45%, 43% past two years
OG Anunoby 45% (1-year)
Kawhi 44% (career)
Lowry 47%
Ibaka 44%
VanVleet 43%
Wright 42%
Thats, pretty good.

I have been to every American city of import, Toronto is better. And Toronto treats black people better than most American cities do. Golden State right now, seems to have a handle on the NBA championship. I love watching great basketball, and wow, that All Star Team just got better. Weird league though, I hope the NHl never gets that weird.

Back