• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

I've seen different payroll indicators. Some have us as the 5th highest payroll (entering 2017) in baseball.

If you take the entire organization and put it up against just the MLB payrolls of other clubs, maybe. I think you're referring to the one site that lists us in the 190's which includes every penny in bonus money spent on prospects, etc.

If you take the entire organization and put it up against just the MLB payrolls of other clubs, maybe. I think you're referring to the one site that lists us in the 190's which includes every penny in bonus money spent on prospects, etc.
For all the faults in the MLB roster, management is willing to spend on prospects. Makes it really nice to know that even if they screw up now we still have a pretty solid prospect pool.

We are spending enough money imo. Tulo + Morales + Bautista + Pearce = nearly 60 million into the trash this season.

It wouldn't surprise me to see Tulo bounce back in a big way next season. I think he bounces back and gives us his best season as a Jay. Tulo had an interview a few weeks ago about how he lives and breathes the SS position. Its a pretty hard stance to take for a guy with declining defense. Next season i'd still give him the year and see where his abilities are defensively. If we see a further decline in range and mobility(likely) maybe we convince him to move to 3B as a Donaldson replacement. This is of course predicated on Urena furthering his development next season at AAA and showing that he can handle the SS position on both sides. If proof of decline is evident and a better option defensively appears i can't see Tulo being a malcontent clubhouse cancer. Or am i off here?

The rest are duds though. I'd love to see ownership spend more but i don't see how it makes sense to do that on a declining and aging team. Donaldson is the big ticket of course and a lot will come down to what we decide to do with him. I'd bet we end up moving him this winter at some point when he tells management he wants to test the market next year.

I doubt we move JD in the off-season. Management likes to sell tickets, so if we keep him and bring in some fresh blood, management can keep convincing people we're trying to win and sell more tickets. If it doesn't work out, then you start the sale at the deadline. And you can probably keep the money if you move JD and then call up little Vlad to get people to come out to the park. Would be a great way to start the rebuild by getting some solid deadline assets for JD and then having the new #1 prospect come up and rock it.

Tulo only has a few years left on his deal, so once he's done that should line up well with passing it on to Urena or Bichette.

Ideally we should realize though that we're not really going to win it next year, so we really should listen to offers for JD. Just kind of a shame that there's a lot of good 3B out there so most teams challenging don't really need one.

I think Donaldson broke the Twins pitcher. Since Donaldson's first inning HR Gibson can't seem to find the strike zone. 5-0 Jays after one inning.

Too bad Biagini can't seem to get out of the second inning without letting the Twins bak inthe game.

Last edited:
Biagini is not a starter and I am glad he's showing that. Prefer him in the bullpen

Biagini's 97mph fastball plays well out of the pen.

The Jays issue is that they'll likely not sign anyone better than him in the offseason. I can see them resigning Estrada and just throw shit at the wall for the 5th spot.

I doubt we move JD in the off-season. Management likes to sell tickets, so if we keep him and bring in some fresh blood, management can keep convincing people we're trying to win and sell more tickets. If it doesn't work out, then you start the sale at the deadline. And you can probably keep the money if you move JD and then call up little Vlad to get people to come out to the park. Would be a great way to start the rebuild by getting some solid deadline assets for JD and then having the new #1 prospect come up and rock it.

Tulo only has a few years left on his deal, so once he's done that should line up well with passing it on to Urena or Bichette.

Ideally we should realize though that we're not really going to win it next year, so we really should listen to offers for JD. Just kind of a shame that there's a lot of good 3B out there so most teams challenging don't really need one.

If they want him back work out a number before arbitration with term or move him in the winter and move on .

The division is lined up for a Boston/ NY run for the next 5 years . Many of this 25 man roster are not part of this team in 2 years . It's a tough call on JD . It's great to have a few studs in the rookie funnel but we simply don't have the solid nucleus of core youth playing on our roster like Boston's killer B's .

If they want him back work out a number before arbitration with term or move him in the winter and move on .

The division is lined up for a Boston/ NY run for the next 5 years . Many of this 25 man roster are not part of this team in 2 years . It's a tough call on JD . It's great to have a few studs in the rookie funnel but we simply don't have the solid nucleus of core youth playing on our roster like Boston's killer B's .

Benintendi 106wrc+
Betts 105wrc+
Bradley 98wrc+
Bogaerts 90wrc+

"Killer"

Management is not going to blow it up in the off season. Every indication is the payroll will remain the same and they will give it another try next year. Try and add and contend. If by mid season it's over, then JD and others will be moved.

Back