• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

This type of stuff has ended guys careers before, just look at Ray Rice and Voynov. It really depends on what happens.
I think more than anything, Rice & Voynov demonstrate the importance of how you handle things after the fact.

If they'd immediately owned up to what they did, expressed remorse, accepted their punishment and sought to rehabilitate themselves, both probably would have been able to resume their careers in the NFL & NHL respectively. Instead they lied, coerced their battered spouses into lying to cover up for them, expressed zero remorse and fought tooth and nail against their criminal charges and the punishments levied against them by their leagues.

And in the case of Voynov, he also jumped at the opportunity to go back to his home country, where spousal abuse is a lot more accepted, and where he's probably getting a paycheque similar to the one he was getting while playing in the NHL. Going back to the Mexican league, by comparison, isn't much of an option for Osuna.

This type of stuff has ended guys careers before, just look at Ray Rice and Voynov. It really depends on what happens.

I agree with the bolded, but I can think of far more examples of players whose careers were not ended due to domestic assault allegations than those whose careers were ended. Whether or not this is the way it should be is a different matter.

I do think these allegations are now taken much more seriously than they used to be and punishments reflect that, which is a good thing.

And, a key factor for Osuna I suspect will be whether the victim is willing to testify.

Like I said, it really depends on what happens. If he gets convicted, pleads guilty its bad. If not then he'll get another shot somewhere.

I don't think all guilty pleas would be treated equally; it depends on the underlying allegations. Did he go full Greg Hardy/Ray Rice or was it less severe?

Ray Rice was fine until video surfaced of him dummying wifey in public (as in, the league was doing it's best to ignore it and forget that it happened). Voynov's assault on his wife was bordering on attempting manslaughter from the details I've heard.

Yeah, the devil is in the details here but this is (even just statistically speaking) far more likely to be a relatively minor domestic dispute. Assault doesn't even require physical violence in Canada:

265 (1) A person commits an assault when

(a) without the consent of another person, he applies force intentionally to that other person, directly or indirectly;

(b) he attempts or threatens, by an act or a gesture, to apply force to another person, if he has, or causes that other person to believe on reasonable grounds that he has, present ability to effect his purpose; or

(c) while openly wearing or carrying a weapon or an imitation thereof, he accosts or impedes another person or begs.

It's pretty easy for a bad domestic argument to cross that line. All it really requires is for one party to believe that the other party acted like they were considering using force. The charge will get laid whether this is a reasonable concern or not.

If he had actually laid hands on her, it was be an aggravated assault charge or at the least assault causing bodily harm.

Another piece on Vlad: https://theathletic.com/359131/2018...s-open-to-trades-mlbs-draft-kings-more-notes/

tl;dr;
Check back after June 1, after Guerrero gets to Triple A and Morales gets additional chances to snap out of it. So many things can happen in baseball, but after June 1 the Jays likely will be out of reasons to hold down Guerrero. After June 1, with the non-waiver trade deadline less than two months away, they will need to take their best shot, once and for all.

I know statements like the upcoming really grind the gears of the Shatkins supporters, but their 2017 team was **** awful and their team this year is starting to look **** awful.

Their two major signings in Garcia and Morales have been complete shit - and their secondary moves in Pearce, Solarte, Diaz and Grichuk have been trash to mediocre. Hernandez is falling hard back to earth too.

As predicted by many: Shatkins has not made a positive impact on this organization in the 3-4 years they've been around.

The buzz has effectively been killed.

Last edited:
I know statements like the upcoming really grind the gears of the Shatkins supporters, but their 2017 team was **** awful and their team this year is starting to look **** awful.

Their two major signings in Garcia and Morales have been compete shit - and their secondary moves in Pearce, Solarte, Diaz and Grichuk have been trash to mediocre. Hernandez is falling hard back to earth too.

As predicted by many: Shatkins has not made a positive impact on this organization in the 3-4 years they've been around.

The buzz was over last year after EE left. All that remained was the hope of a fan base that maybe everything would fall into place and they could still compete. We all knew how that turned out.

The buzz was over last year after EE left. All that remained was the hope of a fan base that maybe everything would fall into place and they could still compete. We all knew how that turned out.
Well, the SP was supposed to be a strength this year and it's totally shit the bed. Time to sell and regroup for the next wave.

In other news, the Bautista experiment is over in Atlanta. Have to imagine that's the end of the line for him.

Well, the SP was supposed to be a strength this year and it's totally shit the bed. Time to sell and regroup for the next wave.

In other news, the Bautista experiment is over in Atlanta. Have to imagine that's the end of the line for him.

What happened to all those Joey Bats fans who wanted him inked on term.....this would be worse than Tulo

Their two major signings in Garcia and Morales have been compete shit - and their secondary moves in Pearce, Solarte, Diaz and Grichuk have been trash to mediocre. Hernandez is falling hard back to earth too.

This team is exactly where it was expected to be . They blew their brains out for 2 years . They were old , slow and home run or bust lineup .

Expecting Shats in just over 2 1/2 years to fix this ship is dreaming and unrealistic .

The SP was solid but like many staffs anything happens from year to year . Stro cant hit the back of a barn . Sanchez doesnt look like an ace . Happ and Estrada wont be back . Martin, Tulo , Travis are done .

Team is like the Habs in need of an overhaul .

DF
@DrewGROF
Grim scene inside the Blue Jays executive box right now

Ddqar3LUQAA5SOd.jpg:small

Back