Page 4298 of 4298 FirstFirst ... 32983798419842484288429642974298
Results 85,941 to 85,946 of 85946

Thread: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by axlsalinger View Post
    Well, you already compared watching games to living in Guantanamo Bay, so perhaps baseball isn't your thing? They were a .500 team until a couple of days ago.
    What?

I watched close to 162 Jays games a year for many, many years. I think I like the sport.

But I hate this current team.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeafOfFaith View Post
    What?

I watched close to 162 Jays games a year for many, many years. I think I like the sport.

But I hate this current team.
    So maybe you just dont understand the sport then.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Yeah, I find that other games definitely interest me more. Like, I'd totally rather watch Braves-Phillies right now. Although I do want to go to one of the next 2 games to watch Trout+Ohtani play, speaking of generational talents. And the minute that Vlad's called up I'm grabbing a ticket for that game - F whatever else I have on that night.
    Trout is a guy I definitely want to spend more attention on over the next bunch of years because I've kind of sadly not seen enough of his legit legendary shit over the first half of his career with him being out west.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Trout is a guy I definitely want to spend more attention on over the next bunch of years because I've kind of sadly not seen enough of his legit legendary shit over the first half of his career with him being out west.
    Now, you get Ohtani too.

Angels might have the 2 best players in baseball, and Andrelton Simmonds is a pleasure to watch as well.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJonas View Post
    So maybe you just dont understand the sport then.
    What are you morons talking about?

I don’t understand the sport because I don’t like this roster?

Idiots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    I have a hard time accepting the "revisionist history" tag here when I'm just repeating a lot of the things I said at the time the moves were made.

As for Jose, he saw an across the board drop from ages 35 to 36 in almost every key statistical category. Even some of the leading indicators like IFFB (percentage of fly balls that don't make it out of the infield) dropped, his average fly ball distance dropped from 204 ft to 179 ft (to give that context, he dropped from 18th and tied with Nolan Arenado, to 137th and tied with Dionner Navarro...huge drop in power), his average exit velocity showed a decline.

I said it at the time, Bautista was looking close to done. He ended up being closer than I thought.
    He was coming off an injury-riddled season though, I think we would all agree that a one-year deal was worth a shot. With some extra juice re-signing in Toronto for obvious reasons.

Pearce was a good value add as a lefty masher 1B/DH, but he's always been a terrible outfielder. The Jays played him 637 innings in the OF last season, which is about as much as he had played in the 3 prior seasons combined. Where he has a legitimately good glove though is 1B. Of course, we played him 55 innings at the position he's legitimately good at.
    Yeah, this is pretty much fair. Dude can hit, and can play OF or 2B in a pinch, but due to injuries along with poor outfield planning he was asked to do way too much in the field.

I pretty vividly remember the sabremetric community calling for a power correction and warning of this being a mistake contract.
    There were definitely people who felt that Morales was undervalued. Largely (as you mentioned) from a power perspective playing at Rogers Centre.

Thames was 3 yrs younger, coming off of a god like performance in SK (he was actually nicknamed God in Korea), had shown decent hitting chops in MLB before leaving for SK and was half the cost. If we're making a risky use of money (Morales was 33 and coming off of a .8 WAR season...) then let's swing for the fences, no?
    It's hard to say whether they pursued or even considered him. But he would have definitely been a better allocation of resources, for sure (even though he keeps getting hurt).

Their attempt at it was ridiculously bad. Everything they've done to try to remain competitive has been an incredible failure. They may as well have lit the money they've spent on fire, it actually would have been less damaging to the W/L column.
    Last year was a tire fire for lots of different reasons, but they were competitive (89-73) in 2016, and so far this year. I do subscribe to the general argument many have made that they should have spent more money and went at it a little harder in '16 (this is probably more on Rogers, though).
    “When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty.”

"We watch, and we are always here."

Page 4298 of 4298 FirstFirst ... 32983798419842484288429642974298