• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Was there any official reason given for why Drabek was sent down in favor of Santos coming up? Other than the fact AA has an obsession with making 50 million unnecessary transactions a day.

More from JoeyBats:

“The last two months, forget about being tired or whatever, the good teams somehow get better, not only within themselves, but at the (non-waiver trade) deadline there’s always moves made,” Jose Bautista said in an interview Wednesday. “And I’m not trying to bring up that issue again, and I’m not referring to our lack of moves, but that does happen.

“Teams at the top do strengthen up and get better, and the guys that either don’t add or just stay the same somehow don’t improve or get worse. I’m not saying that’s necessarily been the case, but that’s one of the things I can look at and point and say that might be it.”

“Bottom line is we’ve just got to keep playing good and we haven’t the last two years prior to this year, but we were out of it so it didn’t matter,” said Bautista. “This year actually it mattered. When I look at it, this is the only important one out of those three years. And we still have time, it’s not over yet, we have a lot of games against the teams that are on top.

Just looks like the players thought that management gave up on them, so they stopped trying.

Stlil a shock that AA didn't do anything at the waiver deadline. Picking up anyone like McCarthy, Prado, Hill, heck even a reliever, would at least have shown that they have some desire to compete. When Danny Valencia is the only guy you're willing to give up anything more than a waiver claim for, it's gotta be tough on the players.

He's not wrong, but I hate that he's still on that to the media.

From the beginning he should have been saying that this team is good enough and it was a vote of confidence. You air out that with AA. Its not positive for the clubhouse to have your leader whining about shit like that openly.

One of the main cliches you always hear from athletes is you only worry about the things you can control.

Jose Bautista really helps put a guy like Mats Sundin in perspective, as a leader, best player on his team and the face of a franchise. Sundin was here for a lot longer, under a much harsher spotlight and under infinitely more pressure, and when did you ever hear him whine to the media like Bautista's done repeatedly?

I hate that we bash athletes for not speaking their minds and giving cliche answers to the media, then when a star speaks the truth about management in a negative light we bash them for that.

Jose stayed here on one of the friendliest deals in MLB, and Rogers/AA has given him 2 trades of activity to improve the team, and ignored many holes in the offseason and did nothing ( right or wrong) at the deadline.

Its not about that at all. No one is saying those comments aren't entertaining for the fans and media and we don't want to hear anyones opinion. Or that he is wrong. Thats not the point though.

Athletes shouldn't be concerned about what fans want to hear them say.

Its poor leadership. Those comments can only have a negative effect on his team. Jose, as a leader of the team, just can't say that. Thats exactly why athletes speak in cliches. Not because they don't have opinions.

Last edited:
I hate that we bash athletes for not speaking their minds and giving cliche answers to the media, then when a star speaks the truth about management in a negative light we bash them for that.

Jose stayed here on one of the friendliest deals in MLB, and Rogers/AA has given him 2 trades of activity to improve the team, and ignored many holes in the offseason and did nothing ( right or wrong) at the deadline.

This. He has a right to be pissed. The more appropriate way to deal with this would be talking with AA and ownership in private but thing is....ownership and management are the issues and its unlikely that's going to change unless both ownership and management are gone. So I say express yourself Bautista cause like the last 10-20 years nothing has changed and probably wont until someone says/does something significant. Maybe it will be Bautista who achieves this.

If the leader doesn't put public pressure on a corporate owned team with a CEO that still operates like it's 1990, and a GM who doesn't look like he's got what our takes, then who does?

Sure....but when he speaks his mind he shows how he hates his teammates.

I wonder if he has checked out how the Price/ Smyly has paid off for Detroit? I wonder if The Tigers would like a do-over on that trade. Or he should look around and see how much better the teams are doing who did make improvements.

The Jays could have used some help to bolster 2nd and 3rd. though were expecting a healthy Lawrie back.

Back