• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Something small like this shouldn't bug me and probably doesn't mean anything but it wreaks of lazy management. Jays are running low on infielders, lets call Shatkins old buddies in Cleveland and grab a cheap one. Almost no work involved and it doesn't really help the team much. A little more work and maybe they talk around the league for infielders and find one that shouldn't be available but is for some reason or something. I don't know...I just don't like this management team.

Somebody has to replace Vladdy Jr in AA :)

2001: 23rd
2002: 25th
2003: 23rd
2004: 24th
2005: 23rd
2006: 18th
2007: 18th
2008: 18th
2009: 22nd
2010: 26th
2011: 25th
2012: 23rd
2013: 14th
2014: 17th
2015: 8th
2016: 3rd
2017: 5th
2018: 17th

Getting right back down into Rogers' comfort zone, looks like.

Can't be having all that prosperity and optimisim....too risky.

I mean, what if Rogers actually lost money on this once or twice? The horror.

For anyone curious, Vlad might be putting in the best 19 yr old season since A-Rod. Laced 2 more deep double tonight on absolute ****ing rocket line drives. 3 hit night in total.

A-Rod was putting up similar numbers at 19, but against AAA competition. 2nd in the league in wRC+, wOBA, OPS. Youngest player in all of AA. He's not just MLB ready, he's a legit upgrade over most of the sticks in his way right now.

I can’t wait for him to be called up.

When was the last time we had an insane talent like this rise through the ranks? Delgado?

I can’t wait for him to be called up.

When was the last time we had an insane talent like this rise through the ranks? Delgado?

Never

We've never had this. Almost nobody has ever had this. Delgado didn't make AA until he was 21, and while he was ****ing outstanding in AA as a 21 yr old, he wasn't as good as Vladdy has been so far as a barely 19 yr old.

So yeah, as good as Delgado was, Vladdy has a higher ceiling.

To give an idea what that means. Delgado's prime lasted from 25-32 and during that time he was on average about a 145 wRC+ (for those not statistically inclined, 45% better than the average hitter in that season). This is obviously pretty incredible. Especially in the steroid era, when there were no rumours of Carlos beinga juicer, he's really one of the best hitters of that era that doesn't carry the stigma of steroid use with him. To give a modern example of what 45% above average looks like, that's pretty much what Edwing's peak 5 years with us looked like. So that was Carlos' average over a longer period of time.

Mike Trout, is an entirely different animal, as good as guys like Edwing and even Delgado are/were, he's just not playing the same game (Delgado had one season in his career that wouldn't look out of place in Trout's body of work so far). The guy has averaged a 170 wRC+ through his 8 yr MLB career (so 70% better than the average hitter). He was 81% better than average last season, and is 103% better than average this year. Injury dependent he is on his way to truly legendary, 1st ballot HOF status. He's currently the 6th greatest hitter of all time according to wRC+. It's like watching an in prime Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, etc.

Why am I bringing this up? This:

Mike Trout (19 - AA): 418AB, 10.9BB%/18.4K%, .218 ISO, .958 OPS, 156 wRC+, .421 wOBA
Vlad Jr (19 - AA) 126AB, 9.5BB%/9.5K% , .264 ISO, 1.091 OPS, 205 wRC+, .471 wOBA

Pretty much a clean sweep across the board (granted, in 1/3rd the sample) with significant improvements in basically everything that is important to being an elite hitter. Does this mean he's going to be better than Trout as a MLB player? No, of course not. But it does show you the type of prospect he is. He's better at 19 than almost any hitter of the modern era I've looked at. Harper putting up a 120 wRC+ in the majors as a 19 yr old deserves a mention, and A-Rod putting up more or less identical numbers as a 19 yr old in AAA has to be considered better. But that's the type of company he's in. A healthy Bryce Harper is also a legendary, 1st ballot HOF type stick and A-Rod was juice aided on his way to almost 700 HR, but in his prime he was a 150-170 wRC+ beast.

That's the type of prospect he is, and we've never had one like this before. Only a handful of teams in the modern era have had one like this before.

For anyone curious, Vlad might be putting in the best 19 yr old season since A-Rod. Laced 2 more deep double tonight on absolute ****ing rocket line drives. 3 hit night in total.

A-Rod was putting up similar numbers at 19, but against AAA competition. 2nd in the league in wRC+, wOBA, OPS. Youngest player in all of AA. He's not just MLB ready, he's a legit upgrade over most of the sticks in his way right now.

A freak of nature , but not bringing him up until we don't lose that year of salary control. Didn't the Cubs do the same with Bryant and waited til Jily ?

ARod is a July baby, vladdy a march baby - so vladdy this year is actually closer in age to ARod's 18yr old season than his 19yr old season.

Assuming this stretch of BOS/NYY takes us enough out of it i'm not sure what i want with Vlad anymore.

I don't want him getting bored in a league he's too good for, but i don't want to waste a year of service time on a lost season..

Assuming this stretch of BOS/NYY takes us enough out of it i'm not sure what i want with Vlad anymore.

I don't want him getting bored in a league he's too good for, but i don't want to waste a year of service time on a lost season..
The only way we gain an extra year of service is to keep him down in the minors for the first 2-3 weeks of next year too. If he keeps hitting like he is now, it'll be really hard to justify that.

The best thing for all around is we keep him down past the super2 deadline in early June, and enjoy a half season from him this year.

lol. people have probably been saying this since we signed him.

Yeah, but a DH with a 24 wRC+, who can't run or field, is completely useless. I mean, Ryan Goins has been a better batter this year. There's only 1 player in baseball who has been less valuable than Morales this year. I mean, given the $/WAR figures, he's actually rapidly approaching the point where even if he paid the team 11M to play him, he would still be overpaid.

I am not a baseball guy like some of you here, but would it make sense to keep morales around if the jays intend to trade Donaldson and Happ and another starter for younger controllable players who can arrive in the next year or two.
If the jays did decide to part ways with Donaldson happ and say estrada ....... what do you think the return would be on them. Enough to get 2 really good young arms and maybe a position player?

Back