• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Shark would be an ideal acquisition at this point.

If you do make the playoffs and can go with a Shark, Buehrle, Hutch, Dickey/Estrada/Norris rotation and put Stroman, Sanchez, Estrada/Dickey/Norris in the pen, the staff would be solid enough.

Honestly any of Shark, Latos, Iwakuma, Kennedy, Haren, would more than effectively replace the Doubrant slot as a rental.

Fiers, Ross, Cashner still make sense as long term plays.

Also keep in mind that we were big fans of Hoffman, but he was still only a prospect in the 60s ranked in the league. Good prospect, sure, but not a sure thing.

But definitely this is a sign that we're pushing in for this year and next, so I fully expect there to be at least another deal on the horizon. Like when we traded for Reyes/Buerhle, we followed it up later by dealing for Dickey. Fully expect something else. Although with AA, that might be something like trading for Carlos Gomez, and just saying, "I double dog dare you to throw a lefty against us".

How big is that upgrade? Over the remainder of this season, the gap between the two shortstops is estimated at roughly one win, or roughly the same upgrade the Astros got by adding Scott Kazmir to their rotation, and again, that’s without considering the non-linear nature of run scoring. So, while going from Reyes to Tulowitzki might not be quite as impactful in 2015 value as landing a guy like Johnny Cueto, the upgrade is along the same lines as adding any of the next tier of pitchers.

And, of course, the Jays will still have Tulowitzki next year, when he projects to be roughly three wins better than Reyes. Going from Reyes to Tulowitzki isn’t as impactful as signing a premier free agent pitcher, but you’re not getting that kind of player by adding $50 million to your payroll either.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/troy-tulowitzki-the-blue-jays-and-upgrading-strengths/

So 1 more win. Will it be enough?

jonmorosi:

#BlueJays working to trade for a starting pitcher. Ian Kennedy one of the many options they're considering

If you're moving a high upside prospect like Hoffman, this is the type of return you shoot for. Much better than 10 starts of Cueto.

As well, I'm glad it was Hoffman and not Norris. Norris has shown the ability to dominate AAA, while Hoffman has had a hard time missing bats in the low minors while returning from TJ.

Fwiw, Hoffman is 3 months older than Norris.

Good to know. Thought he was much younger than Norris.

Lots of aces available in the off season. This is an offence that would be appealing to anyone. I am so happy Beeston is gone. We may have a chance to land an ace without the 5-year limit.

The guys are talking about this on the radio, it's something that worries me as well. I've been an advocate of manufacturing runs vs. hitting home runs. This move takes away the speedy lead off hitter and adds another power guy. Aside from the fact that they are all right handers and will have problems facing certain pitchers, will they have even more issues that they did before scoring against Cuetos of the world? Guys like him do not give up many homeruns. I am afraid that this team goes out there and absolutely destroys 2nd tier pitchers and then get shut out against good ones. Hack hack hack, strike out!!

Donaldson, Bautista, Tulo. These guys get on base, period. They don't just hit home runs. Reyes wasn't getting on base all that much and could basically only hit from one side. We've been down this "manufacturing runs" road before.

Back