• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Toronto has 67 meltdowns this year, 22nd best in the league (122 shutdowns, 19th). Shutdown is reliever with >0.06 WPA in a game, meltdown is <0.06 WPA. So we're actually not doing that badly, although given how the starting pitching has been it certainly feels like more.

Thanks.

Where do you find these data? It seems it was awful to start the year and has come full circle at the end.

The most concerning stat of all is Osuna's save percentage with a one run lead. I think he's close to 50%.

He's 100% with two runs or more.

I saw it on the American broadcast over the weekend just before he blew the Yankees game we led by one.

The most concerning stat of all is Osuna's save percentage with a one run lead. I think he's close to 50%.

He's 100% with two runs or more.

I saw it on the American broadcast over the weekend just before he blew the Yankees game we led by one.

I love him, but I don't think he's ready to be the closer on a playoff team. It would be really nice if we had an elite veteran reliever in the closer spot (like most of the top teams in the AL) and Osuna was the right handed set up guy.

Thanks.

Where do you find these data? It seems it was awful to start the year and has come full circle at the end.

Fangraphs.
Shutdowns-Meltdowns
13-14 in April
21-12 in May
12-10 in June
30-10 in July
26-9 in August
21-13 in Sept

So yeah, awful in April, then pretty much first in the league in them in July/August, now trouble in September. We're 20th for bullpen WPA in September.

Fwiw:

1 run games (extra innings record)

Boston 20-22 (7-4)
Toronto 19-25 (4-9)
Baltimore 21-16 (6-2)
Cleveland 27-21 (6-6)
Detroit 26-16 (5-4)
Texas 36-11 (6-5)

We're really bad in close games....and it something that follows this team year after year.

Originally I thought that the Jays poor one-run game performance was entirely based on luck, which is the popularly-accepted belief. But Gibbons clearly has a hugely detrimental impact on the Jays record in close games based on his poor bullpen usage.

Get him out of here and put a real tactical manager in for next season.

This is a team that had an expected win-loss record of 102-60 last year (9 games better than their actual record).

Originally I thought that the Jays poor one-run game performance was entirely based on luck, which is the popularly-accepted belief. But Gibbons clearly has a hugely detrimental impact on the Jays record in close games based on his poor bullpen usage.

Get him out of here and put a real tactical manager in for next season.

This is a team that had an expected win-loss record of 102-60 last year (9 games better than their actual record).

Their expected W-L this season has them at 91-66 right now instead of 87-70...so it's a fairly sizable gap for a second year in a row.

Their expected W-L this season has them at 91-66 right now instead of 87-70...so it's a fairly sizable gap for a second year in a row.

Yeah. If you have that record, you've clinched home-field advantage for the wild card game and are setting up the divisional deciding series against Boston in the final three games.

Big difference just from a few (or four) additional wins spread out over the season.

meh. hard to blame him for cecil and storen blowing up to start the year.

It's hard to blame the manager for putting struggling relievers into high leverage situations over and over and over again? Cecil's velocity was down and Storen's control was trash...sometimes you have to think outside of the box and have another strategy that doesn't consist of "muh veterans".

meh. hard to blame him for cecil and storen blowing up to start the year.

I don't disagree, but at the same time, he's made a lot of really potato moves in the past month or so with respect to relievers not being used in the correct situations. He's fair game for criticism in this regard, even if he happens to be a "player's manager."

It's hard to blame the manager for putting struggling relievers into high leverage situations over and over and over again? Cecil's velocity was down and Storen's control was trash...sometimes you have to think outside of the box and have another strategy that doesn't consist of "muh veterans".

thinking that a manager should stop relying on relievers every time they have a bad 5ip is silly, imo.

I love him, but I don't think he's ready to be the closer on a playoff team. It would be really nice if we had an elite veteran reliever in the closer spot (like most of the top teams in the AL) and Osuna was the right handed set up guy.

He's not in the Chapman/Miller/Jansen level of closer, no, but I'd put him in the group just outside that. I mean, even Kimbrel last night gave up 4 baserunners without recording an out and ended up with the loss.

Osuna is 10th in the MLB in WPA for relievers, 15th in WAR, and 8th in shutdowns this year (34-6 for shutdown-meltdown, which is top-5 in the league. Even Chapman is only 30-5 this year). So yeah, I'd love to have another arm to support him in the pen, but there aren't very many guys better than him when you look at the stats.

The interesting part is he's done all that while running a FIP over 3, which is actually a lot higher than most of the top closers. Interestingly, he's actually done better on back to back days than games where he's had 1-2 days off, so it's not necessarily fatigue. He's actually been worst this year in low leverage (.345 wOBA against) relative to medium (.158) and high (.251). Probably why he's totally closed the door for those 2-3 run leads (would mostly be medium leverage, I think), while he's had some struggles at the 1 run leads (high leverage).

thinking that a manager should stop relying on relievers every time they have a bad 5ip is silly, imo.

If a reliever has a drop in velocity and is getting banged around, why use him in high leverage spots? It's not about an arbitrary measure of how many IP he's allowed to suck for before you make a move, it's about understanding the underlying reasons for the poor performance and determining if they're luck related or not. In Cecil's case, he was throwing 88-89 at the start of the season instead of his customary 92-93. If his performance is being adversely affected by shit outside of his control (like his health), then it doesn't matter how many IP's he sucks for. Pull him out of high leverage and get him more side work, work in blowouts, etc to sort his shit out. Throwing a reliever with diminished velo into high leverage situation after high leverage situation is as bad for the reliever as it is for the team.

Back