• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

It's not binding, but with signability a big thing in the MLB draft, players can kind of dictate where they go if they indicate to other teams they'd rather keep a school commitment rather than sign with you.

Alex Cobb didn't expect his free agency to last well into January.

The market has been slow to move this offseason for a majority of free agents, not just the longtime Tampa Bay Rays right-hander.

"You're full of excitement, you're rushing into this thing like, 'Oh, this is going to be a lot of fun, a great experience,'" Cobb said. "Then somewhere between November and December you realize how slow things are going and you kind of start reading the writing on the wall that this is a little bit of a different offseason than years before.

"Then you go through a little bit of a frustrating moment, frustrated with the process, frustrated with the way things are going. Then you kind of get to the point where you're like, 'Whatever. We're all in this same boat together.' You just kind of change your frame of mind to accepting the fact that this thing is going to go down to the wire and you get comfortable with that."

The Chicago Cubs have still be linked to Cobb despite reports that he rejected a three-year, $42 million deal.

Sounds like prices have fallen. Cobb would be a solid add if the price is right. We need one more good arm in the rotation.

Sounds like prices have fallen. Cobb would be a solid add if the price is right. We need one more good arm in the rotation.

Yep, Cobb would be a solid pickup if the price has fallen on him. Start of the off-season he was pegged for around 4/60. I'd love him at like 4/52, would be a solid depth arm.

I dont think they get Cobb or Lynn

I think it's one of the lesser names and a RP.

Remember the price doesn't just fall for the Jays it falls for everyone else too, and with 6-7 teams ( none of whom being Toronto) in on Darvish, i tend to think two of the losers of that derby sign Cobb and Lynn

I'm ok with a value signing.

The difference between Cobb/Lynn and Garcia isn't significant imo. The difference in cost might be a few million per season. We could use those savings to throw at a few relievers similar to last year and hope one of them turns out.

I dont think they get Cobb or Lynn

I think it's one of the lesser names and a RP.

Remember the price doesn't just fall for the Jays it falls for everyone else too, and with 6-7 teams ( none of whom being Toronto) in on Darvish, i tend to think two of the losers of that derby sign Cobb and Lynn

There might be some teams in the "Darvish or bust" category, but yeah, I would assume that all the guys behind him are basically waiting for him to sign with someone so they can go to whoever missed out on him and get a deal there.

I think it's the right play too, im not sure how much better Cobb/Lynn are than the best of Lackey/Cashner/Garcia/Hellickson/Volquez/Santiago etc, if the gap is 7-8M, i mean, that could add a pretty good RP and maybe backup C too.

Shatkins may have jumped the gun too early again with the OF, like they did last season with Morales.

Cain may come in at lot less than anticipated. Considering how long Shapiro has been an executive, he has difficulty reading the market.

Cain was 4-5 WAR player last season. There is still a solid chance that Grichuk won't be an everyday player.

There is a chance that they misread the market again.

Cain was 4-5 WAR player last season. There is still a solid chance that Grichuk won't be an everyday player.

There is a chance that they misread the market again.

Grichuk has a good chance of being a 3 war OF for us next season. I am 100% ok with him in RF next season. He's young, cheap, plays good defense and has good power. None of our current outfielders are blocking a guy like Alford long term. Nevermind any of the other prospects that might figure it out(Hernandez, Pompey).

We need that quality starter to really give us a good boost. I'd love for Rogers to open the wallet and take the chance on Darvish. If things go well we have a Cy Young candidate. I wonder if there would be a positive effect on potential future signings from Asia if things were to go well with Darvish.

Grichuk won't be a 3 WAR player.

There was exactly 1 player in the league with a WAR higher than 2 and a OBP lower than .300 last year. Grichuk at 1.4 WAR was the 3rd highest player under .300

The year before Grichuk was second among players with less than a .300 OBP in WAR at 2.2 (Adam Duvall with his 33 HR's and better defensive numbers than Grichuk has ever put up was a 2.9...which shows you how hard it is to put up a 3 WAR while being that bad at getting on base)

Now let's spot the OBP outlier shall we?

BB%/K%/Babip/OBP

2015: 6.3%/31.4%/.365/.329
2016: 5.9%/29.5%/.294/.289
2017: 5.9%/30.1%/.293/.285

Unless he drastically cuts down on his K%, there's no way he'll put enough balls in play to get on base enough to be a 3 WAR player. Either that or he needs a ridiculous percentage on balls in play again, like in 2015.

He should be a completely serviceable 1.5-2.0 WAR type guy. I'll happily take bets now against him being a 3 WAR player though, there's something very close to zero chance that he does that.

Back