• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Sadly, Rogers accounting has it so Sportsnet is "raking it in" and in the end that profit is subsidizing some of Rogers's loser channels and last year's big NHL loss.

Sadly, Rogers accounting has it so Sportsnet is "raking it in" and in the end that profit is subsidizing some of Rogers's loser channels and last year's big NHL loss.

While the MLB broadcast deal between the Jays and Rogers is a joke, there's 2 encouraging things here

1) MLB head office monitors local broadcast deals to ensure that they're fair...a few years ago Rogers could make the argument for a low rent broadcast deal....but it's really, really hard to show the numbers from the last few seasons and argue that the Jays are anything but a mega market.

2) While Sportsnet is reaping the benefits of the improved viewership numbers and that money won't see it's way into the Jays bottom line (****ing Rogers...) you can't hide the attendance increase. No accountant in the world can change that without losing his license.

Forget the creative accounting though. Regardless Rogers is making a ton of money off the Jays, whichever legal entity it is filtered through. Its not like Sportnet is killing it now going forward, no matter what happens to the Jays. They can move around their tax credits however they want. Either way the Jays winning is making a big difference in their pockets. You'd think they'd want to keep that going.

Showing losses, and using that as an excuse to not spend on the team will only kill the cash cow.

I imagine they're at least top-5 in average TV ratings too. With Rogers, of course, also owning the network Blue Jay games are exclusively shown on.

It's long past time for the notion of the Jays as a small or middle-market team to die in a fire.

The Jays have been #1 in TV ratings for a few years now. Though it's hard to prove because Rogers doesn't publicly publish the numbers, but they were 500K+ 2 years ago, which was higher than any other US market.

The only place we're mid table is in average ticket price. We have an average ticket price of 31.01 USD, which is a **** hair higher than MLB average. With that said, everyone other than the Yankees, Sox, Cubs, and Phillies (of the big market/contending clubs) are within a few bucks of where we are.

When you boil it all down though, the Jays should be in the financial tier just below the Yankees, Sox, & Dodgers...and that's with a low dollar. With a bit of a bump to average ticket prices (which frankly, given the nature of our market is a given if attendance stays up) and the return of the Dollar to it's historic .85-.95 cent range, we could hang with the big boys financially.

I imagine they'll rake in similar profits with a $100m half assed team as a $180m contender, given fan reaction to both.

but one of those scenarios does far more for their asset's value than the other.

it should be a no brainer decision for a multi billion company.

Forget the creative accounting though. Regardless Rogers is making a ton of money off the Jays, whichever legal entity it is filtered through. Its not like Sportnet is killing it now going forward, no matter what happens to the Jays. They can move around their tax credits however they want. Either way the Jays winning is making a big difference in their pockets. You'd think they'd want to keep that going.

Showing losses, and using that as an excuse to not spend on the team will only kill the cash cow.

Agreed, but tell me you'd be shocked with that group of losers if that ended up being the strategy? Banking on the lower investment (read: risk) level required to just keep the very large group of hard core Jay fans happy (isn't that the Shapiro thesis? I can compete for less). So instead of taking on the risk of being a 180-200M dollar annual payroll, to chase the extra revenue of fair weather fans, spend just enough to be competitive just enough to keep that 400-500K group of fans that watched through the shit years, happy enough to keep watching.

Maybe I've just been jaded over the years though....I was making this argument on here, for sustained high levels of investment in the club because it was an untapped mega market, before it was cool. Watching Rogers cautiously bumble**** their way through this process has been painful.

Agreed, but tell me you'd be shocked with that group of losers if that ended up being the strategy? Banking on the lower investment (read: risk) level required to just keep the very large group of hard core Jay fans happy (isn't that the Shapiro thesis? I can compete for less). So instead of taking on the risk of being a 180-200M dollar annual payroll, to chase the extra revenue of fair weather fans, spend just enough to be competitive just enough to keep that 400-500K group of fans that watched through the shit years, happy enough to keep watching.

Maybe I've just been jaded over the years though....I was making this argument on here, for sustained high levels of investment in the club because it was an untapped mega market, before it was cool. Watching Rogers cautiously bumble**** their way through this process has been painful.

I wouldn't be shocked at all. I'm expecting that. But thats what they've sold us the last few decades. Do your part and the money will be there. Well the fans have done their part.

I wouldn't be shocked at all. I'm expecting that. But thats what they've sold us the last few decades. Do your part and the money will be there. Well the fans have done their part.

Yep...and the sales pitch will be shown to have always been just a sales pitch. No different than the greasy ****s at the dealership promising "bumper to bumper" coverage and "competitive" interest rates.

Sounds like someone trying to bank some money on an athlete.

The agent for Edwin Encarnacion says the Toronto Blue Jays slugger will fight a lawsuit reportedly seeking $11.5 million in damages, and that he intends to file counter claims against the complainant.

“(Encarnacion) will take every legal measure to defend himself against this frivolous claim, and will bring appropriate claims in the appropriate forums against all of the individuals seeking to exploit his financial position,” Kinzer continued. “This is an unacceptable attack on his exceptional character and stellar reputation within the baseball community as a man who carries himself with the highest level of integrity.”
[/QUOTE]

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/mlb/agent-lawsuit-edwin-encarnacion-inappropriate-meritless/

Or is Edwin the source of the parrot's power? :eek(16):

b58d602a41ce7613d4815ec8d84bbf44.gif

What's the significance of the parrot anyway?

Were pirates supposed to be really good home run hitters or something?

The parrot is actually an airplane ?

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/baseball/mlb/edwin-encarnacion-home-run-celebration-1.3238613

"When I hit the grand slam I got excited and rounded the bases from the side, turning like an airplane," said Encarnacion, who has helped the Jays to the top of the American League East this season. "My teammates liked it and said I should keep doing it so I've kept doing it."

Back