• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

yep. this ain't the Leafs.

better not hear anything from this ownership or management about attendance needing to be better....ever. the fans didn't dismantle a good team.

the fans did their part. for years, it was the same refrain. but then after record attendance, the payroll barely moves? **** right off.

better not hear anything from this ownership or management about attendance needing to be better....ever. the fans didn't dismantle a good team.

i hope when the time comes that the media asks those questions again and again

This is not this situation. The fans do their part and would continue. Shatkins is big part of this.

Also, Leaf fans tune out the Leafs when they suck too (and the Jays don't even suck right now). Corporate stays on board with the Leafs regardless.

Last edited:

You would like to think that that a drastic drop in attendance would force ownership to realize that they need to invest in this team to the same degree that MLSE does with the Raptors, Leafs & TFC in order to pack the building and get huge ratings.

But unfortunately, Rogers will probably look at the falling attendance and conclude that they were right to avoid spending like a big market team in the wake of the team's huge attendance spike, and that having Shatkins run the Blue Jays like they're Cleveland North instead of a big-market franchise is indeed the right course of action.

fangraphs positional power rankings.

3B 1st
C 9th
2B 11th
SS 11th
CF 12th
1B 12th
RF 13th
LF 15th
DH 9th (of 15)

One stud position, surrounded by a bunch of average to good.

DH the weakest spot but more just below average than bad.

fangraphs positional power rankings.

3B 1st
C 9th
2B 11th
SS 11th
CF 12th
1B 12th
RF 13th
LF 15th
DH 9th (of 15)

One stud position, surrounded by a bunch of average to good.

DH the weakest spot but more just below average than bad.

For no scientific reason whatsoever, I think Travis and Martin will out perform their projections.

for the record those positional rankings include all the projected plate appearances for that position during the year, not just the starters.

reading that shapiro interview makes me want to vomit. the guy is clueless when it comes to understanding our market/audience.

home opener not being sold out is an embarrassment. Solely at the hands of Shapiro.

I will say that i do like Atkins. That guy has a good disposition that i think fits what this market is looking for. He doesn't come off as phoney as Shapiro. IN terms of youth i think Atkins has done a solid job building up the farm system. The MLB level product i feel is definitely lacking this year. Having Morales on the team is indefensible. The corpse of Tulo/Pearce clogging the roster doesn't help.

I've done my best to have an optimistic view of this 2018 team throughout the offseason. I've been let down LOL. reading through that interview it is clear that Rogers has management by the balls in terms of spending. With renovations to the Dome coming that will cost 200+ million i can see payroll declining once Tulo, Martin, Donaldson expire.

You may be right about Rogers but at the same time I think Shapiro would rather roll over and play dead than make a case for a bit extra payroll. I'm probably wrong but that's the impression I get.

I'm not sure that at this point a payroll increase would make much of a difference but it wouldn't hurt to know that there was money available if there was need or opportunity. Of course even if there was money would Shapiro back off and let the GM do his job and make the decision on how best to spend it?

You may be right about Rogers but at the same time I think Shapiro would rather roll over and play dead than make a case for a bit extra payroll. I'm probably wrong but that's the impression I get.

I'm not sure that at this point a payroll increase would make much of a difference but it wouldn't hurt to know that there was money available if there was need or opportunity. Of course even if there was money would Shapiro back off and let the GM do his job and make the decision on how best to spend it?

Shapiro is the GM for all intents and purposes. I can pretty much guarantee you that nothing involving money gets done without his signature. He doesn't handle the day to day negotiations, but his hands are still on everything.

But yeah, I have a really hard time seeing if the tops would open payroll if Atkins wanted that for some reason. AA had to beg to get money for Tulo+Price, but I don't think Atkins has close to that power, and still haven't quite pegged whether Shapiro would even think about raising the budget if they thought it was needed.

Back