• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

If the Angels beat Texas, and Houston wins their game, then Houston and Texas would play a tiebreaker for the division, with the loser of that game playing the Yankees in the wildcard round.
If the Angels beat Texas and Houston loses their game, then the Angels and Houston would play a tiebreaker for the second wildcard, with the winner playing the Yankees.
If the Angels lose, then it's boring and Texas wins the division, Houston plays the Yankees in the wildcard game.

I think I had the permutations correct, but my main train of thought was how much that could affect pitching match-ups. For eg., the first scenarios mean a team has to burn their number 1 just to play another play-in.
Crazy.

He's the 5th best pitcher in a 4 man rotation and doesn't profile well out of the BP. What would you have the Jays do?

The more this sinks in, the more it leaves a stench of unfairness over the postseason.

He went 15-7 with an ERA in the 3s, is a lefty who can still be extremely useful, has playoff experience, and is a big reason why we finished where we did.

I hate that they did this to him.

Do you even watch the games? Have you watched any of his starts the last six weeks?

Have you followed any of the media coverage that he was experiencing arm pain and had to have a cortisone shot? Have you noticed his dropping velocity? Or the fact they have had to back him off to seven days rest.

Give your head a shake.

Last edited:
The more this sinks in, the more it leaves a stench of unfairness over the postseason.

He went 15-7 with an ERA in the 3s, is a lefty who can still be extremely useful, has playoff experience, and is a big reason why we finished where we did.

I hate that they did this to him.
Perhaps it was his choice? Also his arm probably is basically dead.

Sentimental me: I hate the fact that MB isn't on the roster. 1- He's been a significant player for us this year 2- He is Papa MB

The "desperate to win a championship" me: this would be the right decision. If MB wasn't MB, we would all agree with leaving him off. This being MB shouldn't change that.

Everyone who wanted to see Mark Buehrle facing a right handed, power hitting heavy Texas or Houston team in an important game....raise their hands...

You can nibble and lefty junk ball your way around a lot of lineups in MLB....those 2 can't be. You have to be able to make them swing and miss.

The part of me that has a brain: he's been ineffective for quite a while, appears to be hurt, and would be pretty much useless in the bullpen. No experience there (one brief appearance in this century), and bringing in a struggling lefty starter out of the pen who has no discernible split advantage against lefties and an 82 mph fastball seems like it would almost certainly not end well.

you can't waste a 25 man playoff spot on sentiment. Loup is more useful in the pen. Also thinking he is better than Estrada is pronger level moron

he is a grown ass man making a shit ton of money

if he cant handle not making the post season roster than i do not want him pitching in the post season

so i do not feel bad about it at all

cheer him today and call it a day

It's certainly okay to "feel bad" about it, Buehrle is a great guy and he was extremely helpful to this team in the first half of the season. There just isn't any room on the post-season roster for him, based on team makeup and recent performance. Same applies to Hutch.

As for being disrespectful to him....they are letting him pitch on 2 days rest , after he's been trash for a month, in a game they can argue they really need just so he can cap of his career with a milestone.

As for being disrespectful to him....they are letting him pitch on 2 days rest , after he's been trash for a month, in a game they can argue they really need just so he can cap of his career with a milestone.

Yeah they are clearly showing respect for Buehrle. The only one that can be blamed for buehrle not making the playoff roster is himself.

Back