• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Again, i disagree with a ton of a moves made, save for a few, but i feel like Rogers boxes these guys into a corner especially regarding a potential tear down.

I refuse to believe Shapiro was in favour of waiting until the last possible minute to deal away Donaldson, for example and run the risk of terrible things happening and driving down his value.

Wasn't there a lot of talk around the time that AA left, that Shapiro came here specifically to tear it down, it was only when AA sold some futures and turned us into an unexpected juggernaut.

Wasn't there a lot of talk around the time that AA left, that Shapiro came here specifically to tear it down, it was only when AA sold some futures and turned us into an unexpected juggernaut.

I believe he would have tore it down during the 2017 deadline or 2018 winter if Rogers let him, and i think a lot of people would be looking on this regime a bit differently if we were going into 2019 with Vlad hype plus a handful of assets they properly acquired for Donaldson,Smoak, Happ, Osuna and Estrada

They clearly made some errors with the talent they chose to pay to remain "competitive without taking a risk", but i kinda feel like he was at least somewhat boxed into that corner

I believe he would have tore it down during the 2017 deadline or 2018 winter if Rogers let him, and i think a lot of people would be looking on this regime a bit differently if we were going into 2019 with Vlad hype plus a handful of assets they properly acquired for Donaldson,Smoak, Happ, Osuna and Estrada

They clearly made some errors with the talent they chose to pay to remain "competitive without taking a risk", but i kinda feel like he was at least somewhat boxed into that corner

Totally agree , I think a gut job was his plan and Rogers put a halt to it

Donaldson is probably the biggest frak up, but I can find blame on all sides there.
Osuna....crazy how a guy does something like that and it's the fans that suffer.

I think Smoak is fine at 1st base, and the money is Rogers' style.

I guess, but at that price he's not easy to replace next season...I don't see who is filling his spot.

Giving a shit about next season is your first problem. They aren't going anywhere, and a FA on a 1 year deal or even Rowdy Tellez would suffice as a 1B for a transition season.

Or if Vlad struggles bad enough at 3B, you can move him there, or if Drury is amazing for some reason, he can play 3B and Vlad 1B or if Bichette shows he must be in the show, you can move a MI to 1B and use Bo at SS

Smoak is a fine player but the Jays aren't winning, and for the upcoming rebuild he's in the way.

Same deal with Morales who, rebounded season or not should be moved aside for Teoscar to DH and allow for a kid in the OF to have a gig by Grichuk and Pillar ( the argument can be made he should be punted too)

Giving a shit about next season is your first problem. They aren't going anywhere, and a FA on a 1 year deal or even Rowdy Tellez would suffice as a 1B for a transition season.

Or if Vlad struggles bad enough at 3B, you can move him there, or if Drury is amazing for some reason, he can play 3B and Vlad 1B or if Bichette shows he must be in the show, you can move a MI to 1B and use Bo at SS

Smoak is a fine player but the Jays aren't winning, and for the upcoming rebuild he's in the way.

Same deal with Morales who, rebounded season or not should be moved aside for Teoscar to DH and allow for a kid in the OF to have a gig by Grichuk and Pillar ( the argument can be made he should be punted too)

Even letting Morales handle 1B for 70 or 80 games doesn't really matter next year. Or you teach Solarte/Travis/Drury and have them fill in as needed.

Of course, the bigger Q is whether anyone would realistically give you anything for him. It's not like 1B is in high demand, and his option for next year is up to like 8M. If someone will give you something good for him, sure, let's deal him. But might just be the sort of guy you keep around to have some stability in the lineup.

Going to miss this guy....

manager John Gibbons on the welcome rookie callups ave received. "It always helps if the guys come up are good guys. If they’re pricks, it might be different."

The trade was not about this year anyway.
Though it is likely not to work out in the future the current situation is not why it was a bad trade.

The trade was not about this year anyway.
Though it is likely not to work out in the future the current situation is not why it was a bad trade.

Yep, something back for Happ > nothing back for Happ. But we all would have more liked someone with some upside.

Back