• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

agreed about EE but I don't see it as saving money as much as it is about batting order optimization and maximizing whatever money you have

Isn't the main problem that Toronto right or wrong, is not a top destination for UFAs? There is no reason it shouldn't be but if a top UFA has a choice between Los Angeles, NYC, SF or even Anaheim, would he choose Toronto over those options?

Latinos tend not to care so much....it's not like they grew up with 15 types of Doritos and ESPN.

Sure, in certain spots, LF, for example, but you dont replace EE with a platoon, and platoons are usually born out of teams needing to save or not wanting to spend money

Or necessity...if there's no single guy on the market who can replace EE, can you strangle 4 WAR out of 2 flawed sticks if used right? Yeah, you typically can.

I mean:

2016 vs RHP

Edwin Encarnacion - 132 wRC+
Derek Dietrich - 132 wRC+

2016 vs LHP

Edwin Encarnacion - 142 wRC+
Danny Valencia - 155 wRC+

1B is actually one of the better places to platoon because of how much easier it is to convert a player to 1B than any other position. We're better off with going athletic in the corner OF spots on more complete every day players and platoon at 1B if push comes to shove.

And Jonas, we cannot continue to field a team this right-dominant...we're too easy to pitch too.

You dont get left handers just to get left handers. They have to be good.

I'm not signing Chase Utley as a DH option cause he's a lefty, or Angel Pagan because he's a lefty with speed. The players in question have to actually be good.

I'm not going to prioritize Reddick cause he's a LH over better RH options it just makes no sense.

Carlos Beltran as an example, if the DH hole is open makes alot of sense to me as a switch hitter.

Charlie Blackmon, Dexter Fowler (S), and Kohl Calhoun are interesting trade options though

You can't pigeon hole yourself though. If Ryan Braun can be had cheap then you dont pass cause he's a RH

Or necessity...if there's no single guy on the market who can replace EE, can you strangle 4 WAR out of 2 flawed sticks if used right? Yeah, you typically can.

I mean:

2016 vs RHP

Edwin Encarnacion - 132 wRC+
Derek Dietrich - 132 wRC+

2016 vs LHP

Edwin Encarnacion - 142 wRC+
Danny Valencia - 155 wRC+

1B is actually one of the better places to platoon because of how much easier it is to convert a player to 1B than any other position. We're better off with going athletic in the corner OF spots on more complete every day players and platoon at 1B if push comes to shove.

I'm all for trading for Braun or throwing money at Fowler as an EE replacement as the 4-5 WAR guy and doing a 1B platoon of some sort, with a Beltran type at DH.

I say double down on pitching and defense. That's what got us to the playoffs this year and we can add a bunch of cheap wins just by adding good corner OF defense compared to the shitshow we had out there this year.

We' ve got one great bat at 3B and 3 average to plus bats at SS 2B and C. You add two plus bats (not even classic EE/Joey good but even just 120wrc+ good) at 1B/DH then we can still have a good offense even while playing 3 all glove OF slots.

Add even more defense to our great pitching and we're looking real good again, even with a dowwngrade offensively.

People have to r3alize that we weren't offense oriented team this year, but a pitching and defense one.

I'd be interested in placing a call to gauge the price of Mr. Charlie Blackmon. Age 30, on a rebuilding team. Not great D in CF but should be able to play a corner. Speed and power combo.

I say double down on pitching and defense. That's what got us to the playoffs this year and we can add a bunch of cheap wins just by adding good corner OF defense compared to the shitshow we had out there this year.

We' ve got one great bat at 3B and 3 average to plus bats at SS 2B and C. You add two plus bats (not even classic EE/Joey good but even just 120wrc+ good) at 1B/DH then we can still have a good offense even while playing 3 all glove OF slots.

Add even more defense to our great pitching and we're looking real good again, even with a dowwngrade offensively.

People have to r3alize that we weren't offense oriented team this year, but a pitching and defense one.

So would you be in favor of going super hard after Jansen, Chapman, or Melancon? Or a SP and move Liriano to the pen?

Back