• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

If we don't sign Bats, Puig would be a decent option to help fill the OF. If we can still bring Saunders back, then an OF of Saunders-Pillar-Puig with Upton and Pompey waiting in the wings might not be horrible.

yeah, you guys say it never happens, I say it does.

Wait, what? I've never said anything remotely similar. TJ is a complex issue, but at it's core it's an overuse/wear & tear injury. Sometimes that wear and tear starts on the showcase circuit when 17 yr old kids are throwing too hard, too often trying to impress scouts. Sometimes the wear and tear is from throwing too many innings at the MLB level after being ramped up what I would consider "properly". Sometimes it's from the shock loading of going from low innings to heavy innings in too short a period of time.

The damage that leads to TJ can happen in all sorts of ways, I'm just fully on board with caution being the way to go. I personally think that the way pitchers are managed in game leads to it as well, with starters often pushed into high stress situations, pitching out of the stretch, in the 6th-7th innings way too often and that the apparent "need" to squeeze those last 10-15 pitches out of a starter leads to overuse.

I look at the fangraphs leaderboards and find 3 of the first 16 names fit.

2, sort of.

But I'm the one that has to go delving in and adding up milb innings to prove my point. Sure.

You're the one who made the "lots and lots" claim blindly. You're the one claiming the prevailing wisdom around MLB to be wrong.

If we don't sign Bats, Puig would be a decent option to help fill the OF. If we can still bring Saunders back, then an OF of Saunders-Pillar-Puig with Upton and Pompey waiting in the wings might not be horrible.

Extensive injury history, .351 babip in a career year, rapidly cratering defensive ability.....I love that Saunders has been solid for us this year, but I'd rather take a chance on Puig bouncing back, than on Sauders ever doing this again.

Extensive injury history, .351 babip in a career year, rapidly cratering defensive ability.....I love that Saunders has been solid for us this year, but I'd rather take a chance on Puig bouncing back, than on Sauders ever doing this again.

Yeah, I'd expect that someone will overpay for his breakout, but if we can get him for the pricetag of an .800 OPS weak defensive left-handed bat, I'm willing to keep that. All comes down to cost.

I think we give him a QO which he'll decline.

Shatkins will be pleased with the likelihood of getting 3 1st round/supplement picks next draft. Saunders, Edwin and Bautista. Saunders is the last one i'd like to keep of the 3. I don't think he's that good(health concerns) and he stinks of a Melky Cabrera level mistake signing.

Yeah, I'd expect that someone will overpay for his breakout, but if we can get him for the pricetag of an .800 OPS weak defensive left-handed bat, I'm willing to keep that. All comes down to cost.

With his career high being .791 before this season, and a career average of .717....I'd rather see what we have in Dalton Pompey as a regular. In this Saunders career year, he's looking at being a ~3 WAR guy. I would prefer betting on Pompey being 2 WAR of baserunning and defence than to bet on Saunders being healthy enough to put up more than 2 WAR for what, 25-30x the cost?

Make your QO, he probably declines it, take your 1st rounder and walk with a smile.

Smoltz brings up a lot of good points there and I agree with all of it and brings up a point that I've had a problem with all year, and that's to have a plan at the start of year for Sanchez instead of figuring it out as they go. If we knew he was on an innings limit then why throw him out there every 5th day and because he pitched so well, 6-8 innings each time? Why not skip a start every now and then, keep him to 5 innings every outing regardless if he was pitching well. Just doesn't make sense to me.

Gibby allowing Sanchez to be top 5 in the AL in IP by this point is criminal.

He's trash at handling pitching, and now it seems can't manage a lineup great either.

Gibby allowing Sanchez to be top 5 in the AL in IP by this point is criminal.

He's trash at handling pitching, and now it seems can't manage a lineup great either.

Which makes me that much more concerned that Sanchez will end up being mismanaged in the bullpen. Watch him get injured because of the move to the bullpen.

Gibbons on Sanchez: "Truthfully, we're still debating what's actually going to happen. You know?" #BlueJays

This is getting weird

I wonder if there is any merit to rolling a 6 man rotation down the stretch, limiting the innings of Sanchez, Stroman and even giving Estrada more rest.

Then come playoff time, Liriano moves to the pen as the 2nd Lefty/Swing, and Dickey gets punted into the sun.

Sanchez/Happ/Stroman/Estrada for the rotation.

Based on comments, it seems like it is not a done deal and Sanchez might still stay in the rotation. It's strange Gibby says that after Shapiro's interview last night.
Yes, I am always a fan of an occasion skip of a start to limit innings. I know you risk hurting momentum a bit. but for a young pitcher like Sanchez, I would have done that.

I don’t even get what the big jump is.

2012 90.1
2013 109.2
2014 133.1
2015 109.1
2016 139.1

how is this even a big deal? If he hadn't missed a month to injury last year then suddenly we'd be fine keeping him in the rotation this year? hardly makes sense.

BTW, this is a terrible stat to throw out. The 139.1 will be well over 200 if they make the playoffs. It's early August. He could end up 90+ innings over his previous career high. Yes, it is an issue.

Back