• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Yeah - I don't mind Solarte, but Pearce and Solarte are expensive bench players. Doesn't seem like the best use of limited resources.

Well, I'd expect Solarte to get ~400 PA, which could be about 1.5 WAR. And at 4M, that's really a very reasonable price. He's also under control for a few years, so if/when we do trade JD at the deadline, we don't have to rush Vlad Jr. Pearce is a 6M replacement level player in LF, but if we could find a way to dump Morales on someone, then Pearce would have some value as a platoon DH (his defense in LF was so bad that he would gain position value by being a DH). Both are still better uses of money than what we spent on Morales + JB last year, though. Nothing wrong with having a couple expensive bench bats, although we still better starting players for RF+LF.

It's really hard to upgrade on Goins and Barney without spending a little bit of money, and Diaz/Solarte are massive upgrades on that front for really a minimal cost.

Morales is the guy who prevents both those guys and Pearce from having more value.

It's really hard to upgrade on Goins and Barney without spending a little bit of money, and Diaz/Solarte are massive upgrades on that front for really a minimal cost.

Morales is the guy who prevents both those guys and Pearce from having more value.

freeing up DH time for tulo, martin and even travis & JD is so important. they ought to just cut their losses on morales if they can't find a team to take him.

freeing up DH time for tulo, martin and even travis & JD is so important. they ought to just cut their losses on morales if they can't find a team to take him.

I think there's a chance Morales bounces back to be not completely useless, so I don't think I'd quite go so far as to just DFA/release him, but if we could get someone to take on even 5-6M of his remaining 22M salary, that would definitely open things up.

My hope is that we could pull off a deal with, say, Texas, swapping him for Choo. They have too many left-handed corner/OF bats, that I think they might not mind someone who can in theory hit a little against lefties, and saves them some money. Whereas Choo would fit great for the Jays as a DH/RF, high OBP left-handed bat. He's overpaid, but if you subtract out Morales' deal from him, it values him at about 3/40, which is probably not too far off from his worth. Or something like that - I doubt anyone would really want Morales, but if we can get them to give us someone a little more expensive, but who fits in better for us than for them, that would be perfect.

Morales is not a good candidate to bounce back. The only attribute he has is hitting, and he's not going to become a better hitter at 34/35. In fact he will turn more doubles into singles as he gets older and heavier.

Morales is not a good candidate to bounce back. The only attribute he has is hitting, and he's not going to become a better hitter at 34/35. In fact he will turn more doubles into singles as he gets older and heavier.

He could "bounce back" by cutting his Ks down a little or increasing his BB rate, but yeah, on second glance, it's not like he ran an abnormally low BABIP or HR/FB rate last year. I guess he could raise his FB rate a little more, but even all those rates were around his career norms. Okay, I'll retract my previous statement. He's fully toast, and were he a FA now, it's questionable whether anyone would even give him a spring training invite.

Having guys like Solarte and Diaz ( especially if he returns to his 2016 form) makes it so much easier to DFA Morales at the end of May if he's still ****ing shit, and have an open DH spot for Pearce, especially if an Alford or Hernandez is ready.

He could "bounce back" by cutting his Ks down a little or increasing his BB rate, but yeah, on second glance, it's not like he ran an abnormally low BABIP or HR/FB rate last year. I guess he could raise his FB rate a little more, but even all those rates were around his career norms. Okay, I'll retract my previous statement. He's fully toast, and were he a FA now, it's questionable whether anyone would even give him a spring training invite.

well, i think a guy w a 250 avg, 300 obp and 25-30 hr would find an invite, and can probably find a role on a roster somewhere.

but the jays don't need his power. he doesn't bring anything to the table that this team needs.

Morales for Choo as a base kinda intrigues me.

Choo can still get on base and would fill a hole at the top of the order and in RF.

I have to think Jays would need to add some sort of sweetener

Jay Bruce to Mets 3/39

Very reasonable for a player i wouldn't have wanted on the Jays due to roster construction, and a deal that forever makes the Morales deal look worse.

Yeah, he was always a risk that we would end up with him. I'd say the deal isn't that bad, but he has only been worth 3 WAR total over the last 4 seasons. Although if you think his power spike the last couple years is sustainable, it might not be an ugly deal.

Back