• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Getting Melvin Upton doesn't preclude us from acquiring RP help as well. He's on the hook for 17M next year and if the Jays don't need SD to pay any of that he could come fairly cheap in terms of prospects. They even have a few arms themselves that we could look to for the pen in an expanded deal, like Andrew Cashner, Brad Hand, Ryan Buchter, and Brandon Maurer.

Also, reports we're looking at Tyson Ross as well.

JonHeyman

Jays appear to have moved in front for melvin Upton Jr. O's running 2nd. SD expected to make call tomorrow. @Ken_Rosenthal

The other rumour du jour for the Blue Jays on Monday involved another Padre, right-hander Andrew Cashner, who is scheduled to pitch against Toronto on Tuesday. According to MLB Network's Jon Heyman, Toronto has been taking a close look at Cashner, but it would be for a role in the bullpen instead of the starting job he has held onto all year.

http://m.bluejays.mlb.com/news/article/191665908/blue-jays-front-runners-for-melvin-upton-jr/

Possibly a sign that they may stick with the Sanchize as a starter for the rest of the year?

Me like. Think Cashner profiles much better as a reliever.

17 million is a lot for a guy that is good but not great. Not sure how i feel about him. He takes away from our budget anyway you slice it. I don't think JB or EE are back either way but i'd say if we get Upton at 17 million then there is no chance of them resigning. Saunders is also a free agent. Not sure how i feel about investing big money in him either seeing as he's pretty fragile.

Tyson Ross would be a nice add. He's been hurt all year it seems so i don't know what we'll get from him this season. Next year you get a quality #3 pitcher in him.

Why is this team a budget team?!!?

17 million is a lot for a guy that is good but not great. Not sure how i feel about him. He takes away from our budget anyway you slice it. I don't think JB or EE are back either way but i'd say if we get Upton at 17 million then there is no chance of them resigning. Saunders is also a free agent. Not sure how i feel about investing big money in him either seeing as he's pretty fragile.

Tyson Ross would be a nice add. He's been hurt all year it seems so i don't know what we'll get from him this season. Next year you get a quality #3 pitcher in him.

Why is this team a budget team?!!?

If Melvin Upton was going to get in the way of signing EE or Jose then you were never going to sign them to begin with.

Upton under contract for 17M is neither a bargain or a problem for what appears to be a 2-2.5 WAR player with pop and plus corner D.

Saunders is going to be an interesting case. He should profile as a type A free agent, so he could be in a spot where he accepts the Jays QO or works an Estrada like deal for himself to stay.

Ken_Rosenthal

Sources: #BlueJays agree to acquire Melvin Upton Jr. from #Padres for Class A prospect. Financial terms not known. Likely finalized today.

ShiDavidi

#Padres will be paying down a very substantial sum of Melvin Upton's contract, helps minimize risk for #BlueJays.

Smoak and Melvin could cost the Jays 20 million next year (depending on how much money SD eats). If SD isn't eating most of that money, EE and JB are likely both gone. The Jays already have quite a bit committed to payroll next year before the Smoak and Melvin contracts.

Jon MorosiVerified account ‏@jonmorosi 18m18 minutes ago
Part of #BlueJays reasoning in Melvin Upton Jr. trade: They are 15-16 this year against left-handed starters; Upton has .913 OPS vs. LHP.

Back