• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

We can't attract big name arms here, but we can get big name bats, and more importantly with guys like Bautista and EE, we've kept them.

We were never going to get the guys you wanted, but we might be able to trade for some of them in at the deadline, or maybe even before that. As long as we can keep the offense going we should be able to make a push like we did this season.
Price wasn't coming back. Doesn't mean Happ was the best option for ****ssakes, but we aren't even at the Winter meetings yet.

Every rumour suggested that Price was interested in coming back. We had to pay him of course, but that's no different than any free agent. Free agents follow the money...so identify your need, pay the cost and be done with it. This talk about us not attracting big name free agents is rubbish. It has nothing to do with the city, and everything to do with our organization not going after them. From artificial contract length policies, to budget restraints, etc. That's the issue, and really nothing else. If the Yankees implemented a 140M payroll ceiling and didn't chase high value free agents, you think everyone would be lining up to be a Yankee just because? The Yankees, Sox, Dodgers, etc do gangbuster business in free agency because they spend money.

If you're Donaldson, do you want to stay long term when you look at this staff?

I know his buddy Chavez is here, but that's likely only a one year thing.

Will Shapiro/Rogers even pay up to keep him? He's about the same age as Price and they had no interest in Price long term.

I imagine the feeling amongst the jays' stars right now is about how they felt at the 2014 trade deadline.

I imagine the feeling amongst the jays' stars right now is about how they felt at the 2014 trade deadline.

We may not even have a choice with these two. Bats and EE will just walk if the jays aren't close to winning WS. Joey especially, he wants to win a WS above all else.

Last edited:
I think Jays would have to spend more than rival US bidders,, and the currency is in the toilet, but so what? You invest now to win a WS and you create fan goodwill that will endure the next extended lower budget rebuild.

another thing to consider is that, sure, they're replacing the late-season buehrle and chavez/happ should have no problem being more effective than he was.

but they're going to have to replace the production buehrle gave to them through august.

the rotation is a bit better than it was at the start of last season because they'll get a year of stroman.

but behind him, it's a step back with even less upside since hutchison has kind of faltered, sanchez doesn't look like a starting option next year and norris is in detroit.

I think Jays would have to spend more than rival US bidders,, and the currency is in the toilet, but so what? You invest now to win a WS and you create fan goodwill that will endure the next extended lower budget rebuild.

you can think whatever you want but can point to exactly 0 instances of that being the case.

I'm just going to enjoy this season as much as I can, because it's going to be a shit show in 2017 with this pitching staff and no EE/Joey. Maybe no Tulo if they find a taker.

Hopefully we can win games 10-8 this year and just get to the playoffs as our one last hurrah before Shapiro does his cheap 5 year rebuild.

Last edited:
Nothing much has changed. Last off season fans were complaining about the moves AA was making and giddy over the dumpling of Beeston. Now instead of the Beeston/AA combo we have the Shapiro /Shapiro combo. Lacava appears to be mainly window dressing.

As for how much the Jays have to spend, we really don't know for sure. It is possible that the 140 million can be added to in the right situation. Whether Shapiro would push go it is another matter.

If i'm Jose/Edwin not only am i not giving a discount, i might choose to look elsewhere.

These guys are going to be putting up 5-6 runs a game and far too often see it not good enough behind this rotation.

I love the spin that they are deeper now....for starters, no they aren't and depth in the rotation is not important in the playoffs when you only count on 3 arms to start.

Beyond Stroman i don't even know who the 2 and 3 are in this mess.

The only way to salvage this is to build an elite pen and limit the back end trash to 5-6 innings, but that pen isn't even close right now, and i doubt they address it as such

Revere will probably be moved for a RP, but i'm guessing that's it

Dividi referred to yesterday as the rest of the heavy lifting....which would be hilarious if i wasn't so pissed.

One thing i'll say for Shapiro, he's done a good job in the past will bullpen's.....and that is clearly what needs to be addressed right now

I'm ****ing gutted that this is the approach Rogers is taking to running the club and it worries me a lot more long term than it does short term....because short term, this is still a roster that 1) Shapiro is unlikely to tear down immediately & 2) Is ridiculous enough to bash it's way to a title.

So until further notice, we're still a major threat to win the whole ****ing thing this year.

2015 - min 150 IP

Happ: 29th in fWAR
Chavez: 55th in fWAR
Dickey: 61th in fWAR
Estrada: 65th in fWAR

Have to assume Stro would have been better than Happ had he played the entire year.

For context, pitchers in the Chavez/Dickey/Estrada neighborhood are Wacha (56th), Tanaka (58th), Cashner (57th), Scott Kazmir (53rd), Trevor Bauer (66th). Just sayin'. If we average ~2.2 WAR from each starter not name Stro, and 4 from Stro, it'd put us in the top half of MLB by last years totals (just a hair outside the top 10 actually) which should be plenty with our offense. BP needs to be upgraded one way or another though, whether that's through trade, FA or putting Hutch there (I think his stuff will play up in the BP). So yeah, Nov 28.

Last edited:
why would you use a minimum cutoff for a counting stat?

and 2014:

dickey 85
chavez 91
happ 112
estrada 285

Is it worse than the rotation that just won the WS?

Its worse than KC with an in form Cueto. They had an elite pen as well, jays don't.

If Shapiro goes out and adds elite arms to the pen and makes a big move for a pitcher in-season, we have a chance. But I'm not holding my breath that Shapiro is capable or willing to give up prospects to do it.

Back