• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

signing a pure DH is unfair...to the fans

Unless he's on a Papi level or something.

I actually was wondering this earlier today. What kind of offensive production must a pure DH ( negative field, negative baserunning) produce in order to use that player over an open DH slot with an actual baseball player? 115 WRC? 120?

115wRC+ or better imo.

You're just better off cobbling together platoons of guys who can play positions, and not clog up the bases with average sticks otherwise imo. Then use them based on matchup and have no full time DH.

Especially when you have guys like Russ and Tulo who could really use the "day off".

115wRC+ or better imo.

You're just better off cobbling together platoons of guys who can play positions, and not clog up the bases with average sticks otherwise imo. Then use them based on matchup and have no full time DH.

Especially when you have guys like Russ and Tulo who could really use the "day off".

Yeah that was kind of my number.

How much better would we look with Grandy/Pearce at DH and Alford/Pompey/Hernandez in LF, or a freed up 10M on a LF.

Or if you like the kid 10M on Greg Holland, or Johnathan Lucroy, with a promise of DH/1B PA.

Or the ability to swipe in on a Dickerson when he's waived for some reason.

115wRC+ or better imo.

Although realistically, at this point, I don't know if Russ or Tulo really should be DH-ing on their "days off". Maybe a couple times here or there, but they're only average hitters, so would probably rather just sit them entirely rather than put them in a DH hole.

But otherwise, a guy like Pearce is projected for a 108 wRC+. He'd be fine in a DH spot, and certainly not someone good enough that you worry about sitting him if you need to shove JD or Travis there. Zips has Alford pegged as a 70 wRC+ guy, but he's still estimated for 1.1 WAR. Morales is only pegged for 0.3-0.8 WAR. Basically, we could cut Morales right now, and I don't think the team is any worse just by cobbling together guys. I mean, heck, Solarte is almost pegged for the same production as Morales, and I got nothing against giving him a few more ABs in that spot on occasion.

Yeah, I've said my piece on the whole EE/Morales saga so I'm not going to rehash it, but it really did tell me all that I needed to know about how Shatkins was planning on operating. Morales was always a bad idea, on any level.

Call me when those ****s get fired. I've watched enough inept management of my sports teams over the years to know that it doesn't end well and tends to be a waste of time to be emotionally involved in the process.

Although realistically, at this point, I don't know if Russ or Tulo really should be DH-ing on their "days off". Maybe a couple times here or there, but they're only average hitters, so would probably rather just sit them entirely rather than put them in a DH hole.

But otherwise, a guy like Pearce is projected for a 108 wRC+. He'd be fine in a DH spot, and certainly not someone good enough that you worry about sitting him if you need to shove JD or Travis there. Zips has Alford pegged as a 70 wRC+ guy, but he's still estimated for 1.1 WAR. Morales is only pegged for 0.3-0.8 WAR. Basically, we could cut Morales right now, and I don't think the team is any worse just by cobbling together guys. I mean, heck, Solarte is almost pegged for the same production as Morales, and I got nothing against giving him a few more ABs in that spot on occasion.

Oh, I wouldn't just automatically give the DH spot to Russ or Tulo when they needed a day off, I agree that they should just get quite a few days where they sit. But their sticks (based on match up) are every bit as good as Pearce/Solarate/Diaz/Granderson and should/could be in the mix for those AB's imo.

Well, that's if Morales could be fired out of a cannon. Which is unlikely, so we're stuck with him.

Yeah, I've said my piece on the whole EE/Morales saga so I'm not going to rehash it, but it really did tell me all that I needed to know about how Shatkins was planning on operating. Morales was always a bad idea, on any level.

Call me when those ****s get fired. I've watched enough inept management of my sports teams over the years to know that it doesn't end well and tends to be a waste of time to be emotionally involved in the process.
It's kind of interesting how attitudes evolve on this kind of thing. As a sports fan, I used to be an absolute die-hard.

But honestly---I think JFJ, Brian Burke & Dave Nonis actually succeeded in killing that in me. After the decade of futility in which those three ran the Leafs in the ground, I've now completely lost patience with any management group that either hasn't put together a legitimate contender, or doesn't have what I consider to be a credible plan in place to build one.

The way the Leafs use their financial clout at every opportunity has also made me intolerant of any sports team that's in the position to do the same, but chooses not to.

It's kind of interesting how attitudes evolve on this kind of thing. As a sports fan, I used to be an absolute die-hard.

But honestly---I think JFJ, Brian Burke & Dave Nonis actually succeeded in killing that in me. After the decade of futility in which those three ran the Leafs in the ground, I've now completely lost patience with any management group that either hasn't put together a legitimate contender, or doesn't have what I consider to be a credible plan in place to build one.

The way the Leafs use their financial clout at every opportunity has also made me intolerant of any sports team that's in the position to do the same, but chooses not to.

Part of it is just life as well. When I was a full on die hard fan of my 3 teams (Leafs, Raptors, Jays), I just simply didn't have as much going on in the rest of my life relationship and career wise.

I just value my time far higher now and anything that isn't providing value is subject to being trimmed down in time spend. With the Raptors having figured their shit out, with a strong organization top to bottom and a legitimate shot at contending (maybe not winning, but at least contending) they get a fair bit of my sports attention and obviously with the Leafs turning the ship around (and always being my first legit sporting love) they get a lot of that time I set aside for being a fan....but the Jays are already competing with summer weather that is always at a premium as a Canadian, and 162 is a ****ing slog even for a die hard fan. Throw an organization into the mix that seems to not be interested in legitimately competing and I have to ask why I should care more than they appear to.

I love watching Jays in 30 though...Come on around 10pm local time...after I have done whatever I was going to do that evening.

Or watching the game while making and eating supper.

Life has gotten the best of me as well. I watch about a 4th of Jays' games when they are competing.

Raptors, this year I haven't gotten a chance to catch a game yet. NBA generally makes me mad given its predictability. It used to be my number one sport growing up.

I watch just about every leafs game though. Sometimes glued to the TV , sometimes less so.

I watch important TFC games, basically the playoffs and games like last night.

There is just not enough time to care both for all these teams and family.

Part of it is just life as well. When I was a full on die hard fan of my 3 teams (Leafs, Raptors, Jays), I just simply didn't have as much going on in the rest of my life relationship and career wise.

I just value my time far higher now and anything that isn't providing value is subject to being trimmed down in time spend. With the Raptors having figured their shit out, with a strong organization top to bottom and a legitimate shot at contending (maybe not winning, but at least contending) they get a fair bit of my sports attention and obviously with the Leafs turning the ship around (and always being my first legit sporting love) they get a lot of that time I set aside for being a fan....but the Jays are already competing with summer weather that is always at a premium as a Canadian, and 162 is a ****ing slog even for a die hard fan. Throw an organization into the mix that seems to not be interested in legitimately competing and I have to ask why I should care more than they appear to.

this sums up my feelings pretty accurately too.

when I was younger I had the time to be a 4-sport die hard. I don't any more.

and, part of what LGM said also applies to me. if an ownership group is not willing to dedicate the resources required to competing, I'm not really interested in supporting them.

If the Jays start out hot you'll all watch the games.

This issue is that there is virtually a zero percent chance of the jays winning the World Series this season... or next.... or next... or next.

I hope they do well because going to the dome when the team is losing is trash. When they start the season like last year i barely go to games as its hard to justify not going to do something else on weekends. Days with good weather are like gold.

I suspect they wont be good enough to ever feel like they are contenders, but be just good enough to linger around the 2WC

For me there is a fairly big gap after NYY, BOS, CLE, HOU, unless everything clicks for Ohtani and LAA, but frankly they have as many questions as the Jays

Jays/Angels/Mariners/Twins/A's are in that next tier IMO

Ex Jays in the news

Chavez to Rangers
Saunders to Pirates
Rasmus to Orioles

O's also looking at Dickey, and Jays tied to Street, Clippard and a Liriano reunion ( as a plure LOOGY, very much yes please.)

DWuXiWQXUAARDkI.jpg:large

Back