Page 4235 of 4320 FirstFirst ... 323537354135418542254233423442354236423742454285 ... LastLast
Results 84,681 to 84,700 of 86389

Thread: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

  1. #84681
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    43,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Philly trying to start the clock earlier.

    I'm not an Arrieta guy, but 3 years is probably okay.

  2. #84682
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Jon Morosi
    While Troy Tulowitzki has been officially ruled out for Opening Day, #BlueJays believe he could return before April is over. @MLBNetwork @MLB
    So, I'm guessing June-ish is when he gets back on the field?

  3. #84683
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Tulo is more important than some want to believe. I don't expect Diaz to hit much.
    Last edited by CaptainBolduke; 03-13-2018 at 12:22 PM.

  4. #84684
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    67,905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    sure but i dont think anybody expected tulo to be healthy anyway
    ...

  5. #84685
    Legend Killer93's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Whitby Ontario
    Posts
    6,907
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Donaldson, Stroman, Tulo all injured already. Grichuk also may not be ready opening day
    #Auston316

  6. #84686
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    43,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Tulo is more important than some want to believe. I don't expect Diaz to hit much.
    I don't expect Tulo to hit much.

  7. #84687
    Legend Deckie007's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Centre of the Universe
    Posts
    35,055
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJonas View Post
    I don't expect Tulo to play much.
    fyp

  8. #84688
    Legend JackBurton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    38,045
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Ugh, bad start to things with these injuries.

  9. #84689
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    the only guy with a real injury is tulo. relax.
    #FreeVladdy

  10. #84690
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    43,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Zeke is a Barve

  11. #84691
    Legend UWHabs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    16,394
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    At least some good news:
    Buster Olney

    Hearing repeated 5-star reviews from evaluators about the spring work of the Jays' Aaron Sanchez, who has shown no signs of the blister issue that plagued him last year.

  12. #84692
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJonas View Post
    I don't expect Tulo to hit much.
    Why? No reason to think a healthy Tulo can't get back to 2016 levels.

  13. #84693
    Legend Wayward DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Why? No reason to think a healthy Tulo can't get back to 2016 levels.
    exactly why I wouldn't expect Tulo to hit much

  14. #84694
    Legend zeke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    76,451
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    At least some good news:
    the spring has mostly been good news, actually.
    #FreeVladdy

  15. #84695
    Legend
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    22,710
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Yeah. This spring has been encouraging. Alford progressing like this changes everything.

    Next on the list is to shoot Morales out of a cannon.

  16. #84696
    1st Liner
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    I am not a baseball expert but Morales seemed to produce somewhat. Why the large hate. I loved and adored Encarnacion, is it just the irreplaceable hole, he left?

  17. #84697
    Legend Wayward DP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    6,426
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by Iknowenuff View Post
    I am not a baseball expert but Morales seemed to produce somewhat. Why the large hate. I loved and adored Encarnacion, is it just the irreplaceable hole, he left?
    The Morales hate has a few causes. First, Morales sucks. Using WAR, he is barely replacement level. I think when we signed him he had exactly one season where he had a WAR over 1.0. So he's just not that good at baseball, relative to your average major leaguer. Second, it was an idiotic contract where Shatkins grossly misread the market. They signed him super early on in FA, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there were countless players of a similar skill-set who were available for much cheaper. Third, he was the replacement for EE, which leaves more sour grapes. Fourth, signing him was just idiotic asset management because he cannot play in the field. Managers are getting smart and moving away from full-time DHes with few, obvious exceptions (someone like Papi in Boston). So not only can Morales not play in the field, but our team of old, run down veterans are no longer able to have days where they play as DH, so we keep their bats in the line up but reduce the strain on their body. And given our roster composition, lots of old folks and a bunch of platoons, it was exceedingly stupid to remove that flexibility from Gibby. Fifth, the value for money is really atrocious. There are a handful of other contracts awarded in the same offseason to corner IF/DHs, where they got paid a lot less, over less term, and produced the same or better results. So it is more or less a failure on all fronts. At least if you're going to miss, miss on a one year contract.

    Points five and two may be the same, but I think that captures the gist of it

  18. #84698
    Legend worm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    edmonton
    Posts
    67,905
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by Wayward DP View Post
    The Morales hate has a few causes. First, Morales sucks. Using WAR, he is barely replacement level. I think when we signed him he had exactly one season where he had a WAR over 1.0. So he's just not that good at baseball, relative to your average major leaguer. Second, it was an idiotic contract where Shatkins grossly misread the market. They signed him super early on in FA, seemingly oblivious to the fact that there were countless players of a similar skill-set who were available for much cheaper. Third, he was the replacement for EE, which leaves more sour grapes. Fourth, signing him was just idiotic asset management because he cannot play in the field. Managers are getting smart and moving away from full-time DHes with few, obvious exceptions (someone like Papi in Boston). So not only can Morales not play in the field, but our team of old, run down veterans are no longer able to have days where they play as DH, so we keep their bats in the line up but reduce the strain on their body. And given our roster composition, lots of old folks and a bunch of platoons, it was exceedingly stupid to remove that flexibility from Gibby. Fifth, the value for money is really atrocious. There are a handful of other contracts awarded in the same offseason to corner IF/DHs, where they got paid a lot less, over less term, and produced the same or better results. So it is more or less a failure on all fronts. At least if you're going to miss, miss on a one year contract.

    Points five and two may be the same, but I think that captures the gist of it
    good summary

    one thing to emphasis that if he could hit like big papi (or even edwing) it might be not quite as bad
    as a straight DH you better be one of the best hitters in baseball...morales is not
    ...

  19. #84699
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    43,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Jonas Jays Predictions

    1) Either via trade or injury, Anthony Alford steals the CF job from Kevin Pillar by mid June
    2) Either via trade or injury, Teoscar Hernandez steals the Granderson platoon partner job from Steve Pearce
    3) John Axford and Tyler Clippard claim the 2 pen spots out of camp
    4) Axford pitches well, but Clippards reverse splits don't pan out so good and the Jays feel the need for a 2nd lefty which leads to
    a) Aaron Loup being overworked
    b) Jaime Garcia losing his job in the rotation to someone pitching really well in AAA ( McGuire, Bouricki, Biagini, Pannone, Guerrei) and becoming the 2nd lefty in the pen down the stretch
    5) 3/5 Jays SP will have DL stints
    6) Kendrys Morales has a better season but is still kinda bad overall, and fans clamour for.....
    7) Rowdy Tellez who, due to it being his 2nd season in AAA and potentially seeing a lot more fastballs in a stacked lineup, has a re-surgent year and is back on the map as a prospect
    8) Morales loses many DH PA to Solarte, who also fills in at 3B, 2B, SS, LF, RF over the course of the season, and enters a ton of games as a replacement he doesn't start in.
    9) Gift Ngeope becomes a favourite of John Gibbons and ends up leading the Jays in SS appearances, because Tulo is broken, and Diaz doesn't hit enough to pass on Gift's glove and speed.
    10) Devon Travis is reasonably healthy and has a nice season
    11) Randal Grichuk is basically a really good version of Rasmus. More power, better baserunning, and better glove, but K's too much and struggles to get on base.
    12) Luke Maile is not as bad as last year and is fine as a backup C, but if he's replaced or if Martin goes on the DL, Reese McGuire passes Danny Jansen as the callup because of his defence.
    13) Joe Biagini struggles as a SP in AAA and is converted back as a RP
    14) Danny Barnes and Ryan Tepera potentially struggle as they ate alot of IP last season, but Axford and Oh are quite good.
    15) Jays win 84 games and are in the second wild card mix with LAA, MIN and OAK, don't sell, but also don't buy.

    Non Jays related

    1) Surprise teams in each league are Oakland and Cincinatti, both teams can rake, and I think their pitching improves internally. Neither make the playoffs but both finish in and around 500
    2) The White Sox and Rays aren't as bad as you think they are
    3) The Royals, Tigers, Orioles and Marlins sure are.
    4) Philly and Atlanta make strides but prove to be a year away
    5) Texas, San Fransisco, Seattle and St Louis all underperform and by seasons end all fire their managers

  20. #84700
    Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    43,402
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Why? No reason to think a healthy Tulo can't get back to 2016 levels.
    Did you see healthy Tulo try to catch up to a fastball last year?

    Also, his issues from the leg down make me worry about his defensive and baserunning skills returning.

Page 4235 of 4320 FirstFirst ... 323537354135418542254233423442354236423742454285 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •