• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Shapiro explained his approach to me Friday night: “We obviously had multiple holes to fill in our pitching staff, and our front-office team felt diversifying the risk among multiple pitchers who could start was important, both due to our need at the (major-league) level and our lack of Triple-A depth starting pitchers.”

multiple pitchers who could start could suggest that they don't see chavez and happ as necessarily being part of the rotation. but

stroman
estrada
dickey
happ
chavez
hutchison

means they now have 6 who could start. so, ya, this is probably it.

multiple pitchers who could start could suggest that they don't see chavez and happ as necessarily being part of the rotation. but

stroman
estrada
dickey
happ
chavez
hutchison

Other than maybe another bullpen arm and maybe some AAAA depth, I think they are completely done with entire roster. They have no more money.

Wait until we trade Edwin in January.
Have to figure we trade Joey Bats too.

Shapiro won't want to take the risk of signing a player his age to an extension, and he also won't want to pass up the opportunity to add some more of his beloved prospects to the organization.

You could still have 1 or 2 of those guys and still have 30 mill left for Price.

Price: 30 mill
Stroman: ?
Estrada: 11.5
Chavez: 4.0
Hutchinson:0.6

That costs almost as much as what they will spend on rotation.

Last edited:

stroman
estrada
dickey
happ
chavez
hutchison

They didn't pay Happ what they did to not start, and i'm skeptical they gave up for years of Liam for 1 year of an emergency swingman.

Diversifying the risk among multiple pitchers who could start is a new way of saying cheap cheap cheap.

Citing depth at the minor league level is insulting when you're throwing 36M at Happ

I've already had enough of this guys "risk" talk. I'm not sure they could have made a worse hire.

Its not about winning. its about managing risk. There is a reason why he never accomplished anything in 20 years in Cleveland, and its not payroll limitations.

the funy thing for me is.....in what world is building an expensve rotation out of a 41yr knuckleballer and 3 guys none of whom has been a clearcut fulltime starter the last 2yrs (all spending time in the bullpen both years) seen as "managing risk"?

this isn't even a solid dependable rotation - it's a very risky one that just so happens to also have very little upside.

I'm not a huge fan of the Happ signing, but it's not like it's the stupidest move in the world. We've now got 5 starters who should be 2-3 WAR guys, plus Stroman. It's not a sexy move, but 12m for 2 WAR is a good FA bargain value.

And yes, he's not as good as the top guys, and he's not as big of a name player, but he's also not killing the payroll. I do sincerely hope we can still bring in another couple relievers, please, but the starting staff I would put as decent enough for our bats to be given a chance every game.

the funy thing for me is.....in what world is building an expensve rotation out of a 41yr knuckleballer and 3 guys none of whom has been a clearcut fulltime starter the last 2yrs (all spending time in the bullpen both years) seen as "managing risk"?

this isn't even a solid dependable rotation - it's a very risky one that just so happens to also have very little upside.

Thats the exact problem. Its about financial risk, not winning baseball games. He doesn't seem to care about risk of on field success at all.

Won't be stuck with any bad contracts in 5 years though.

The key here is that Shapiro is talking exclusively about the risk to Rogers' pocketbook.

That's the only kind of risk he's really concerned about.

I'm not a huge fan of the Happ signing, but it's not like it's the stupidest move in the world. We've now got 5 starters who should be 2-3 WAR guys, plus Stroman. It's not a sexy move, but 12m for 2 WAR is a good FA bargain value.

And yes, he's not as good as the top guys, and he's not as big of a name player, but he's also not killing the payroll. I do sincerely hope we can still bring in another couple relievers, please, but the starting staff I would put as decent enough for our bats to be given a chance every game.

There is nothing to suggest he's a 2 WAR SP, take away last year's 3.3 and he's almost always around 1.

And i dont think anyone is disputing this rotation is good enough to make the playoffs with our offense, but once we get there?....not good.

And the pen, agreed does need work, but i very much doubt they have the finances to get it done the way it should

Also, the strategy of making sure we have enough SP depth taking priority of getting a really good SP is hella stupid.

Minor league depth is nice if you can stash it in the minors, and or pay it a minor league salary.

Not 36Million or trade Liam Hendriks for it.

This is not a rotation you can win the WS with unless you have the best bullpen in baseball and they aren't close to that. Maybe if they add Chapman and O'Day.

I like the idea of pitching depth + killer BP with our offense. Just not certain the guys we're running out there are going to be able to get it done on a consistent basis. Need more arms in the BP as well. So, yeah more needs to happen. But Nov 28.

There's no money. They will need to dump salary to make additions.

They have the same 140 payroll as last year and they wont spend all of it now in case they need to make in season moves. They are going to be over 130 once they sign their arby guys.

Back