• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

No

Unless he can learn to take a walk and avoid striking out 33% of the time. He's also only really average defensively so I don't see him creating a ton of value aside from his bat. He'll be a decent enough, cheap option who can play the corners and has some pop, but unless a big adjustment is made in his approach, he is what he is.

He definitely looks like a ballplayer though. He could sell some jeans, has a good looking swing, hot girlfriend, etc.

I don’t think anyone should plan on being super pumped for next year’s lineup.

And that's on Shapiro - cause the team still isn't that far off from being really good again.

Travis
Hernandez
Donaldson
Smoak
Free Agent OF'er
Morales
Tulowitzki
Martin
Pillar

Sanchez
Stroman
Happ
Free Agent SP
Estrada

Would be nice to be able to trade Morales.

Last edited:
And that's on Shapiro - cause the team still isn't that far off from being really good.

Travis
Hernandez
Donaldson
Smoak
Free Agent OF'er
Morales
Tulowitzki
Martin
Pillar

If we can get a decent enough OF, it's a team that pre-season predictions will likely have as about a 50/50 chance at making the playoffs. But some big injury concerns - Travis, Tulo, Martin, Sanchez all missed big time this year to injuries, and not sure I trust any of them to be that much healthier next year. If we can bring in either a more reliable 2b/SS than Goins, or a new 2B and teach Travis to play LF, then that would help.

If we can get a decent enough OF, it's a team that pre-season predictions will likely have as about a 50/50 chance at making the playoffs. But some big injury concerns - Travis, Tulo, Martin, Sanchez all missed big time this year to injuries, and not sure I trust any of them to be that much healthier next year. If we can bring in either a more reliable 2b/SS than Goins, or a new 2B and teach Travis to play LF, then that would help.

Shapiro won't do either of those.

Really the only thing they might get is a OF'er.

This is on Shapiro now.

If you listen to Shapiro and Atkins speak about depth, it seems to me the plan would be for Hernandez to ideally be in AAA and used in an emergency case, or if someone forces themselves off. Pearce and Carrera are a cheap/productive LF combo, but the former is almost certainly a DL stint or two during the season, and the latter's bubble might burst. I suspect their hope is to sign a FA and shuttle Teoscar up and down for when someone goes down.

They went hard (ish) after Fowler last year, so to me, at least it stands to reason they will be all over Lorenzo Cain, within reason. I think with Hernandez, they are okay though starting him, if need be, if they find the UFA too pricey.

I think the same can be said for Joe Biagini. They are fine having him battle for the #5 spot but his presence likely wont preclude them from looking at SP's either. Joe can be used as the 5, as AAA SP depth, or in the pen. He will pitch for the Jays in some capacity regardless. Considering the apparent depth they have in the pen now, with Osuna, Tepera, Loup, Dermody, Mayza, Koehler and a cheap bargain bin, Biagini might be best served to be the #6 in AAA, and on a team with Sanchez and Estrada, he'll make starts

MI will almost assuredly be addressed in some form. Shatkins have acknowledged that it is unrealistic to expect Troy and Travis to play full seasons. Now, i expect they do still fancy Goins as the SS backup, so they might look to replace Barney with someone better and more versatile, like Eduardo Nunez, Jed Lowrie, Dee Gordon or Neal Walker. Each of those guys can play other positions, either SS/3B/OF or all

no reason to think LF would be better for Travis.

No, but if they think that Travis might be able to play LF, then they could in theory go out and grab a 2B instead of an OF.

For example, Pillar/Hernandez/Carrera/Pearce is a weak OF, but if you throw Travis into that group, the odds of getting decent enough production from the group goes up. Although I'm guessing the better reason is that we don't trust Travis to stay healthy, so we need to bring in a 2B. So if we bring in a guy like Forsythe, then at least if he bounces back we can still give Travis AB in LF.

Jays are the Habs of MLB. The window is closed on this roster.

Unless - Vlad and Bichette and some big UFA signing all come in immediately and save the day.

But it’s not happening.

Unless - Vlad and Bichette and some big UFA signing all come in immediately and save the day.

But it’s not happening.

Not true. The Jays have some big prospects in Vlad and Bichette. Habs don't have prospects like that. Jays would be the Habs if we signed Donaldson to a 7 year extension, and then traded Vlad+Bichette for Miggy.

If you listen to Shapiro and Atkins speak about depth, it seems to me the plan would be for Hernandez to ideally be in AAA and used in an emergency case, or if someone forces themselves off. Pearce and Carrera are a cheap/productive LF combo, but the former is almost certainly a DL stint or two during the season, and the latter's bubble might burst. I suspect their hope is to sign a FA and shuttle Teoscar up and down for when someone goes down.

They went hard (ish) after Fowler last year, so to me, at least it stands to reason they will be all over Lorenzo Cain, within reason. I think with Hernandez, they are okay though starting him, if need be, if they find the UFA too pricey.

I think the same can be said for Joe Biagini. They are fine having him battle for the #5 spot but his presence likely wont preclude them from looking at SP's either. Joe can be used as the 5, as AAA SP depth, or in the pen. He will pitch for the Jays in some capacity regardless. Considering the apparent depth they have in the pen now, with Osuna, Tepera, Loup, Dermody, Mayza, Koehler and a cheap bargain bin, Biagini might be best served to be the #6 in AAA, and on a team with Sanchez and Estrada, he'll make starts

MI will almost assuredly be addressed in some form. Shatkins have acknowledged that it is unrealistic to expect Troy and Travis to play full seasons. Now, i expect they do still fancy Goins as the SS backup, so they might look to replace Barney with someone better and more versatile, like Eduardo Nunez, Jed Lowrie, Dee Gordon or Neal Walker. Each of those guys can play other positions, either SS/3B/OF or all

In a nutshell - they're likely not gonna do much.

1) Going "hard" after Fowler was offering the 3rd best contract to him (while asking him to play in another country) --- they likely take the same approach to Cain and offer him the 3rd or 4th best contract.
2) I don't expect them to sign another SP.
3) They won't spend money of a guy like Lowrie or Gordon.

They are essentially just gonna let the Donaldson era play itself out.

But it’s not happening.

The Jays window isn't closed - but it needs a push to become fully open again. The Jays are health and 1 or 2 FA's from being at least a legit WC threat next season. No doubt.

Aaron Sanchez, Troy Tulowitzki and Devon Travis were complete non factors this year. One or two of those guys will likely contribute next season.

Back