Page 4187 of 4194 FirstFirst ... 3187368740874137417741854186418741884189 ... LastLast
Results 83,721 to 83,740 of 83862

Thread: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Quote Originally Posted by Wayward DP View Post
    plus Rogers just got a new CEO I believe. who I read somewhere thinks Rogers is wasting its time by not focusing on its core product offerings. and I'm sure wants to make his mark on the company. and a $1 bn black mark looks real good on a balance sheet.
    yeah I heard that increased data usage is sending wireless profits through the roof.
    #FreeTimmy

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    From Rogers standpoint, they figure that they can have their cake (using the Jays as a marketing vehicle) for 30-40 million more a year than it costs them now while cashing out on about a 6 bagger investment (they bought for 165 million I think...the team is worth close to a billion now).

They're also a huge corporate whore of an organization, so the ability to pad a quarterly report with a 800-900 million dollar gain for the sake of the shareholders is appealing. Using that money to invest in their core business will please their shareholders and likely drive stock price growth.
    a lot of the value is derived from joint ownership with the tv network. nobody skimming off the top.

another big contributor (i assume) is toronto's skyrocketing real estate value (which may explain why they want to get out now).

whether the sale is a good thing will turn largely on how they handle the tv network/rights. if sportnset is on the table then this should turn out nicely for fans. if it isn't, and rogers makes a rogers-friendly long term tv contract a condition of sale then this will ****in suck.

Post Thanks / Like

Although the crazy thing is if they sell the team, does the team go right back to them and demand a 1B TV contract? I mean, that's basically what the market value of the TV contract should be. Would be hilarious to see Rogers sell the team, and then have the new owner basically get the entire sale price back as a 20-odd year TV deal.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    Although the crazy thing is if they sell the team, does the team go right back to them and demand a 1B TV contract? I mean, that's basically what the market value of the TV contract should be. Would be hilarious to see Rogers sell the team, and then have the new owner basically get the entire sale price back as a 20-odd year TV deal.
    given the current corporate structure tv rights will be front and centre in the deal terms.

unless rogers has poor controls (unlikely for a publicly traded co of its size), an agmt is already in place between rogers comms and rogers media (i believe the owners of the network and jays respectively) re tv rights. any buyer will want/need to sort that out.

from rogers' perspective, asusming they aren't selling sportsnet, they'll have clout to push for a sweetheart deal from the buyers, as a part of the sale

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mbow30 View Post
    a lot of the value is derived from joint ownership with the tv network. nobody skimming off the top.

another big contributor (i assume) is toronto's skyrocketing real estate value (which may explain why they want to get out now).

whether the sale is a good thing will turn largely on how they handle the tv network/rights. if sportnset is on the table then this should turn out nicely for fans. if it isn't, and rogers makes a rogers-friendly long term tv contract a condition of sale then this will ****in suck.
    Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines. Rogers will 100% try to get a sweetheart long term TV contract built in to the deal. One last thrust up the fan's asses before they go.
    The amount of energy necessary to refute bullshit is an order of magnitude larger than is required to produce it.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

InterBrew.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Dee Gordon to the Mariners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Dee Gordon to the Mariners.
    I guess he's playing outfield now for them.

Canadiens & 'News & Views' Moderator TheCountofMonteCristo's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by UWHabs View Post
    I guess he's playing outfield now for them.
    he was supposed to be a piece of the puzzle in the trade for Stanton but guess not.
    "The next game is the test unless we win" CanadienFan

Donald Trump, the gift that keeps on giving.

Post Thanks / Like

AA made all of this possible.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    yeah I heard that increased data usage is sending wireless profits through the roof.
    Yeah, for no reason. Well equipped to deal with it, just screwing us over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MindzEye View Post
    Yeah, I was thinking along similar lines. Rogers will 100% try to get a sweetheart long term TV contract built in to the deal. One last thrust up the fan's asses before they go.
    I would imagine the league would be watching this closely.
    Corksens: And I've already admitted (countless times now) that I was wrong.

Corksens: Yup. I hate facts!

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MapleLeafBlueJayBoy View Post
    I would imagine the league would be watching this closely.
    Not on Rogers.

Post Thanks / Like

Seattle now has the most bonus money to offer Ohtani.

Legend
    Post Thanks / Like

Ohtani will be good, but I see him more of a Perdroia type good than a Harper type good. Which is still solid obv...

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to lean towards wanting a full blown rebuild. Were not landing any big free agents IMO and that is what would be needed to improve this team back to contender status. Start to stock pile and build around Vlad Jr and our pitching staff
    "Believe it or not, I believe this is Canada's team, and we need to put Canada's team back on the map" - Mike Babcock

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainBolduke View Post
    Ohtani will be good, but I see him more of a Perdroia type good than a Harper type good. Which is still solid obv...
    Projections are all over on him. Pitching wise anywhere from Tyler Glasnow to Yu Darvish or Severino, batting-wise likely like a Joc Pederson, but maybe more. How they combine together will be fascinating, but people expect him to be around a +5 or +6 WAR player, with the potential for more.

Post Thanks / Like

signing free agents doesn't impact a rebuild in any way.
    #FreeTimmy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Killer93 View Post
    Starting to lean towards wanting a full blown rebuild. Were not landing any big free agents IMO and that is what would be needed to improve this team back to contender status. Start to stock pile and build around Vlad Jr and our pitching staff
    I just look at trying to compete with Houston or Cleveland, not to mention NYY/Bos, and I really don't like our odds. I think Vlad+co are close enough to the show that you don't need the 100-loss teardown, but we can't let Donaldson walk for nothing at the end of the year. If we keep him going into the season, I think I'm hoping that our first half funks from the last few years continues so that it's an easy decision to trade him.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zeke View Post
    signing free agents doesn't impact a rebuild in any way.
    Agreed but lack of signing free agents does in fact impact our ability to compete given the amount of holes in this line-up. Would rather them just rebuild then stand pat in the hopes that Kendrys Morales loses 50 lbs this off season
    "Believe it or not, I believe this is Canada's team, and we need to put Canada's team back on the map" - Mike Babcock

Page 4187 of 4194 FirstFirst ... 3187368740874137417741854186418741884189 ... LastLast