• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Joy to the World! Loup is back as well!

*Donaldson also signs. 1/23

and still not long-term contract for JD. Hes a gonner at deadline, these pencil-necks better get very good value for him. Personally, they should've traded him this winter if, there's no plan to keep him. Would get more in the winter then middle of summer for a two month rental. If they lose him for nothing because of their half-assed philosophies, then everyone should be fired.

Here's something to ponder. Suppose the Jays are mildly in contention by the deadline...ie..3-6 games out of a wildcard spot. What do they do? Trade Donaldson or bolster the club for one last shot before letting him walk for nothing.

The thought of sharkins letting Donaldson walk for nothing, makes my stomach turn.

Maybe they will sign him after the season..... I dunno.

Once he hits market some other more desirable contender, with a better tax situation will offer more than the Jays walk away number, who will cite many other alternatives that are out there and try to replace one 6 WAR player with three 2 WAR players.

Yeah - and he's another major piece of the AA core that Shatkins wants no real part of.

You keep banging this drum. I very much doubt it's anything personal with AA pieces, it's just this Cleveland mentality of not paying a roster player more than 15% of your payroll and managing the risk of signing guys in their 30's to long term big money deals.

The first part makes sense, if you are in Cleveland, but with a bigger payroll you should be able to overpay 1-2 guys if they are true stars, and the second part makes sense too, but a lot of teams are deciding its okay to lose out on 2 years of a 5 year deal if the first 3 are well worth it and give you a shot at a WS

You keep banging this drum. I very much doubt it's anything personal with AA pieces, it's just this Cleveland mentality of not paying a roster player more than 15% of your payroll and managing the risk of signing guys in their 30's to long term big money deals.

The first part makes sense, if you are in Cleveland, but with a bigger payroll you should be able to overpay 1-2 guys if they are true stars, and the second part makes sense too, but a lot of teams are deciding its okay to lose out on 2 years of a 5 year deal if the first 3 are well worth it and give you a shot at a WS

I also imagine a lot of it is that Donaldson doesn't want to sign away his potentially only chance at free agency. I mean, the last 5 years, since he's become a regular, the dude has been the 2nd best player in the MLB. Dude is banking on getting paid, and I don't imagine that Toronto is his #1 destination, especially if the team is in a murky middle/semi rebuild for the length of his contract.

So yeah, given that he wants his chance to get paid, and likely has little affinity to the city, and that the most productive years of any deal he signs are the years we're least likely to be competitive, I'm not really going to fault management for not backing up the Brinks truck for him. The big keys will be:
1. Do we get a good return by trading him, or let him walk and take our 2nd round pick after the year?
2. Who do we replace him with?

Because, as we all know, without him, the teal is total shit. I do wish we had management who was willing to sacrifice year of attendance to retool and pose a legit challenge to the top teams in a couple years' time, rather than the current group who seems to hope that we can luck into a wildcard spot most years.

I also imagine a lot of it is that Donaldson doesn't want to sign away his potentially only chance at free agency. I mean, the last 5 years, since he's become a regular, the dude has been the 2nd best player in the MLB. Dude is banking on getting paid, and I don't imagine that Toronto is his #1 destination, especially if the team is in a murky middle/semi rebuild for the length of his contract.

So yeah, given that he wants his chance to get paid, and likely has little affinity to the city, and that the most productive years of any deal he signs are the years we're least likely to be competitive, I'm not really going to fault management for not backing up the Brinks truck for him. The big keys will be:
1. Do we get a good return by trading him, or let him walk and take our 2nd round pick after the year?
2. Who do we replace him with?

Because, as we all know, without him, the teal is total shit. I do wish we had management who was willing to sacrifice year of attendance to retool and pose a legit challenge to the top teams in a couple years' time, rather than the current group who seems to hope that we can luck into a wildcard spot most years.

I get the money thing - and the winning thing (which he has been a part of here), but why are you claiming that he has a "little affinity" to the city?

The City of Toronto is good shit. Amazing city.

I get the money thing - and the winning thing (which he has been a part of here), but why are you claiming that he has a "little affinity" to the city?

The City of Toronto is good shit. Amazing city.
He was born in Florida, and grew up in the south. We didn't draft or develop him. I have no idea how much he likes the city - maybe he loves it here. Maybe he hates it. But while a guy like Bautista keeps showing up at Raptors games and other stuff, we don't see that from JD. Maybe some of that is personality too, but I don't see anything from Donaldson that screams "I love the city here and would like to stay."

He was born in Florida, and grew up in the south. We didn't draft or develop him. I have no idea how much he likes the city - maybe he loves it here. Maybe he hates it. But while a guy like Bautista keeps showing up at Raptors games and other stuff, we don't see that from JD. Maybe some of that is personality too, but I don't see anything from Donaldson that screams "I love the city here and would like to stay."

What about when he told the media he loves toronto and wants to stay here for the long haul ?

People say that. I don't think he dislikes the city, but he's not giving us a discount to keep him around, I don't think.

I do think there's a decent chance that he walks as a free agent, and the money isn't there as everyone else is busy blowing their loads over Harper/Kershaw/Machado, or they decide to settle for the cheaper options in Pollock and the like, and he come back to us with a reasonable offer that works for both sides. It's going to be a wild free agent season next year.

What about when he told the media he loves toronto and wants to stay here for the long haul ?
When in the history of North American professional sports has a pending unrestricted free agent ever NOT said some variation of that? It's standard lip service to the market you're still currently playing in.

Back