• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

One of you stat nerds know what the difference between a pitchers numbers are when being caught by Martin vs caught by Thole?

Or where to find?

Not necessarily. I don't think it was totally crazy to give it to Gagné. I mean, the guy went 55 for 55 in save opportunities in his Cy Young year in 2003, and he was in the midst of a streak of 84 consecutive saves that started in 2002 and ended in 2004. His peripheral numbers were crazy too.

But I think that kind of flat-out dominance and perfection is what has to be expected from a reliever for them to end up in Cy Young contention. And if it's a close competition between a reliever and the starter for the award, you've got to go with the starter.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. The way I look at it is closers pitch at most like 1/3 of the innings of a top notch starter. Even a dominant closer just can't match the impact a dominant starter can. I mean Gagne was 14th in pitching WAR, which is incredible for a reliever, but he was still 14th at the end of the day because of the lack of innings. It's still wrong that he got it over Prior.

But his stats last year were amazing.

Cecil sucks ass this year. I cringed when he was called in for Stroman. Same thing happened last time out.

Good job coming in with just one out to get to escape, and taking six batters between two relievers to do it.

And giving up 5 runs and the lead in the process.

But his stats last year were amazing.

Cecil sucks ass this year. I cringed when he was called in for Stroman. Same thing happened last time out.
Stro was struggling there, but we sure as hell miss having the shutdown lefty right now.

The bullpen should be embarrassed with its performance to start the year. We should have atleast 3-4 more wins.

What a horrendous game. Stupid way to end the game is fitting for the team. Doesn't get any easier tomorrow facing Chris Sale.

Cecil was bad at the start of last season too. Actually for the first three months. Could not be trusted with anything and then finally became lights out. Sadly, he is following the came pattern. He is killing us.

It's a see-saw at this time of the year, but at some point the team will balance out and we'll start getting good performances across the board. As long as we tread water til then we'll be fine.
I maintain that as long as we play to our averages, we should almost walk away with it.

Back