• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Zeke isn't wrong. If Tellez hits AAA, he should get a callup at the least. We'll see him next year.

I think he'll have some adjustments to make in AAA personally when he sees more AAAA pitches who can spin a breaking ball into the zone for strikes...if he makes those adjustments, he'll see some MLB time I'd imagine.

I'm not bullish on him making those adjustments quickly though.

Zeke isn't wrong. If Tellez hits AAA, he should get a callup at the least. We'll see him next year.

I think he'll have some adjustments to make in AAA personally when he sees more AAAA pitches who can spin a breaking ball into the zone for strikes...if he makes those adjustments, he'll see some MLB time I'd imagine.

I'm not bullish on him making those adjustments quickly though.

I with you in calling it possible, he seems to think it much more certain.

And we saw how Gibby utilized his young bats in September this year.

gibby made pompey his starting CF at age 22, after playing him as a callup at 21 after a very brief stint in AAA

tellez will be 22 next year.

gibby made travis his starting 2b at 24, with zero time in AAA.

14666169_1250229458330905_998701420896552578_n.jpg

Spotrac's final payroll had us at a tick under 160m this year. 170-180 would be a nice bump from that.

Without any of our FAs we have about $115m committed for next year.

I prefer a plan over a cap.
Of course I expect flexibility, but what I want for the push I think this team has in it for another couple years, is for the brains to identify what they need, and the wallets to provide it. We don't have to have the highest salary in the league to do that (even with the Canadian dollar), though it'll have to be one of the higher ones.

Good thing our attendance covers it.

My fear is that even with some winning, we've got idiots that think Canada is a foreign country; if we have to trade for the pieces we need that hamstrings us a bit.

Gibby is back but without an extension he's the lamest of ducks out there.

One narrative i already cannot stand is getting a more " balanced offense" with an emphasis on left handed hitters and speed and not relying on the home run

If you want to replace Jose ( his season anyways) or Saunders with this line of thinking, okay, sure, i guess, but EE is a 4 WAR DH/1B, IMO you need to replace his 4 WAR with another 4-5 WAR player, not necessarily a 1B/DH, and not necessarily a power bat, but an impact player. You can't let EE go and replace him and co with Reddick, Beltran, Utley, Morales, Moss or Pagan and call it more balanced because of speed or being left handed. That crop of guys can replace Jose/Saunders, and that's assuming we don't have an in house 2 WAR thing of Pompey or Zekton in LF.

EE
Cespedes
Fowler
Braun
Votto
Bautista ( back to form, maybe 4 WAR?)
Blackmon
Cargo

These are the impact FA's that are out there, and trade targets that might be out there. IMO you have to get one, then go from there.

If you sign a Fowler or trade for a Braun, then you can go cheaper on a couple Alvarez, Beltran, Holliday, Morales, Moss, Pearce at DH/1B

If you keep EE, you can look at a cheaper 2 WAR OF guy like a Reddick, Pagan, Moss (again), or Inciarte

There are going to be many ways to skin the cat out there this offseason, but 1 premium position player is needed, you can't cheap out on all 4 spots, or try to balance it everywhere.

Tulo and Martin are premium sticks for their position, but not premium sticks anymore.

I don't want them as 3/4 hitters. Having them as 5/6 was probably a luxury, but 4/5 isn't alot to ask.

Today Brunt said it wont be 200 million but it will be an upgrade. No way of knowing how much right now. (Jeff blair show)

That's still not really an answer, but he probably doesn't know.

180 would be a nice number to hope for. A 20M raise adds you a lot of wiggle room., even 170.

I prefer a plan over a cap.
Of course I expect flexibility, but what I want for the push I think this team has in it for another couple years, is for the brains to identify what they need, and the wallets to provide it. We don't have to have the highest salary in the league to do that (even with the Canadian dollar), though it'll have to be one of the higher ones.

Good thing our attendance covers it.

My fear is that even with some winning, we've got idiots that think Canada is a foreign country; if we have to trade for the pieces we need that hamstrings us a bit.

The positive there, is that if you're willing to take some financial risk, there are always really good players on big contracts available for minimal acquisition cost. Did Jason Heyward forget how to hit? I doubt it. Will Votto age gracefully? I think so personally.

You can always nibble around the edges of free agency and go after pen arms with better peripherals than reputations, undervalued bats like Pearce, platoon guys who rake one handedness of pitcher to improve our bench, etc. That's honestly where our biggest needs are after re signing or replacing Edwin. We suck when we're not getting contributions from our studs because our depth guys suck at the plate. I can excuse Russ and Pillar because of how good they are defensively. But Saunders, Smoak, Zeke (awesome in the playoffs...worse than replacement for the 2nd half though) Thole, 2nd half Joey all need upgrading.

Saunders, Zeke, MUpton, Navarro, Lake, Smoak, Zeke, Ceciliani, & Goins combined for a -2.6 WAR in the 2nd half. That's like dragging a ****ing anchor behind your luxury yacht.

Back