• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Kind of hard not to feel bad for Schultz there. He threw three consecutive pitches that could have been called strikes, but the umpire was being ridiculously chintzy.

The next pitch, which he had to throw more in the zone because of the umpire, gets taken out of the yard.

Offence gets the Jays back into it. Trailing 7-6 heading to the eighth. Need some lock-down relief pitching here to keep it a one run game.

Officially scored a triple and an error. 23 runs in the past two games for the Jays offence. You know it's a good day when even Josh Thole has two hits.

Exciting as that game was it was against the struggling Twins. The Jays have had to struggle for these past two wins and I find that a bit worrisome.

I'm happy for these wins but hopefully tomorrow the Jays can pull off a win and it not be a nail-biter for nine innings.

I kinda like the idea of Travis 9th, give Jose and Josh more protection with a guy who can legit get on base at the bottom of the order.
Nah, you want Travis batting higher in the lineup to get more ABs. He's as good of a hitter as anyone other than JB, JD, or EE on our team.

Little tidbit on Reese McGuire, acquired in Lirano/Hutch trade...

A lot of Pirates fans were perplexed when the club traded Francisco Liriano and a pair of prospects to the Blue Jays for Drew Hutchison. Parting with the erratic and well-compensated left-hander wasn’t the issue. That made sense. Giving up the promising youngsters — Reese McGuire and Harold Ramirez — was downright curious.

It will be especially interesting to see if McGuire lives up to his potential. The 21-year-old catcher is regarded as a top-flight defender, but he’s done little to impress in the batter’s box. In 1,393 professional plate appearances — 340 of them this year in Double-A — he’s slashed a punch-and-Judy .268/.324/.331, with four home runs

The 2013 first-round pick is unfazed by the questioning of his offensive potential. If he’s feeling pressure to perform better with the bat, he’s not letting on.

“I’m just trying to find something that feels good, to where when I step into the box and have all the confidence in the world,” said McGuire, who is now playing with Toronto’s New Hampshire affiliate. “But I don’t necessarily need to hit better to play in the big leagues. I feel I have a big-league glove and can manage games and call pitches. Not that I’m satisfied. Being a competitor, I want to be able to contribute with the bat. I think I can do that.”

What does Fisher Cats hitting coach Stubby Clapp see in the young backstop?

“I see something,’ said Clapp. “From a short glimpse, his timing is decent and he has an idea of what he wants to do. He’s ready to hit — he puts the ball in play — and once he gets more comfortable at the plate, I think we’ll see him drive the ball more.

“He’s young and power develops as you get older. He just needs to develop some bat speed and better understand what he’s doing at the plate. He’s already hit a couple of doubles. As far as the ball leaving the park, we won’t know that until he starts to mature a little more.”

The most RA Dickey inning ever. Wild pitches, 2 walks, pass balls, cheap shots, screaming line drives....5 runs.

Back